TotallyOz

Tourism in Thailand

There was a thread here about the bombings and it was deleted. I apologize for that as I hit the wrong button.

I had posted about the bombings and said that I thought tourism was down and this may negatively effect tourism.

Icon posted that actually tourism was up 20 percent.

I was trying to post that when I was there, the streets of Pattaya were not as full as the same time last year. Also, I didn't see the same numbers in the gay bars in Bangkok or the hotels I stay at. When I was in Thailand, I had no problem with reservations for friends during high season this year. I had problems the year before. Perhaps their are just more families going to Thailand and less gay tourists. Perhaps I am just getting old and blind. I don't know. It just didn't feel like the same to me.

My first trip to Thailand several years ago I had problems with hotels as many were booked. I have not had this problem at all in 2006. As much of a pain in the ass as that is, I hope that 2007 that all the places I try to stay are booked and I have to pick something different. I enjoy Thailand and hope they keep the tourists coming.

• Members

Tourism is probably up but I believe gay tourism is down. Airfare and hotel prices have increased dramatically from what I paid on my first trip 2 years ago. My Hotels in Bangkok and Pattaya were full but with alot of Arab families in Bangkok and alot of European couples in Pattaya.

The bars in Bangkok did not seem as full as normal. The small street were most of the boy bars are was never crowded, no matter what time I was there. Tawan and Dream boys would only fill up during show time. I was surprised to see alot of male/female couples attending the shows in Bangkok. Also in Pattaya large groups of straights attended the drag shows. The biggest difference to me was that there are alot fewer boys working at all the clubs and even the massage places. I know some guys go home for the New Year Holiday, but this is my third Christmas/New Year's there and I would say there were 1/3 to 1/2 fewer guys this year.

I saw my normal guys in Pattaya and added a new one to the group. The guys were really glad to see me when I showed up at Dream Boys there.Started my trip with 3 ways with my usual boys but ended up with 4 ways the last 2 days. My new boy said it had been slow and clasped his hands and looked upward in thanks after I had seen him 2 nights in a row. His English lessions are 3000 Baht a month and he did not have the money for January until after I saw him 4 days in a roll. My Pattaya boys even surprised me with a wrapped New Year's gift my last night there.

Sorry...got off the orginal subject. I think Arab and European staright tourism is up but gay tourism is done from my observation this trip.

Thanks for the first hand account KY. I appreciate it. I think we both saw pretty much the same things. I think part has to do with what was once a high season is now blending over to be a more medium season year round. At one point, the establishments made a great deal of their income off of the high season cash. I don't think this is now the case. In Pattaya, I saw steady business most of last year. It was often up and down and most of the owners were looking forward to high season. I didn't see it when I was there and have been told by friends that most don't see it now.

I am sure the numbers are up. I am not sure what accounts for the lack o more gay tourists traveling there.

BTW: This is just my opinion and not based on anything other than my observations.

• Members

This quote is from a story in the Bangkok Post about Tourism and the Coup's effect upon it

"By late October, a little over a month after the coup, researchers forecast that as many as 3.4 million foreign tourists were likely to visit Thailand during the last quarter of 2006, a 2 percent increase on the same time last year, although slower growth than earlier in the year.

If those projections are accurate, full-year foreign tourist arrivals this year will be 13.4 million, a 17 percent rise on 2005, generating an estimated income of 450 billion baht, up 22.5 percent from last year's 367 billion baht. That is not to say there are no challenges, many of which existed long before the events of 19 September."