TotallyOz

Michael Vick accepts a Plea

I am a dog lover as many of you know and this case had really disgusted me. I could not believe that his business was dog fights and killing them in such a brutal matter. I am also disappointed that the prosecution made a deal. I hope it is not a light sentence and that he spends a long time in jail and is banned from the NFL for life!

Oz

Hear, hear. I hope he finds the same kindness in jail that his dogs found in the fight pens.

I am sure that as a football star he will be beloved in prison. However, there are tons of dog lovers in there as well and it will be interesting to see how he is treated. I hope they fuck him daily.

Guest epigonos

If I were a serious gambling man I would be willing to wager a considerable amout of change that all he gets is a hand slap from both the government and the NFL. He will undoubtably promise, with tears in his eyes and a crack in his voice, to attend rehab and take instruction in animal sensitivity -- after all isn't that the modus aperandi for all "celebrities" who trangress. We might also expect to see him go on some talk show and apologize to all animal lovers -- Opera's show just might be the perfect place seeing as she is a dog lover.

Guest SouthernMan

If he wasn't a "celebrity", he would not have merited all the attention, been judged, tried and convicted in the media, or have been as harshly punished. Nor would he be facing the end of his livelihood.

Dog fighting and cock fighting have been going on for centuries and are endemic to the Afro-American, Hispanic, and southern white cultures.

Besides, its not as if he was killing toy poodles. Pit bulls are bred to be vicious fighters, so I'll save my sympathies and concerns for the multiple innocent human and animal victims who have suffered death and/or mutilation from those vicious animals. Pit bulls should be banished, and all existing ones rounded up and euthanized.

I'll never forget March 2005, when my aunt and her little doggie, were mauled to death by pit bulls. She was 83 years old, beautiful, loving, hard working thru a hard life, raising a loving family to have to end it by being viciously attacked by pit bulls. Well, at least Virginia honored her by enacting stricter laws. Her name was Dorothy Sullivan, and a quick google will give you all the details.

Pit bulls are bred to be vicious fighters, so I'll save my sympathies and concerns for the multiple innocent human and animal victims who have suffered death and/or mutilation from those vicious animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. Pit Bulls can be socialized to violence, but it isn't intrinsic to the breed. They get a very bad rep because of monsters like Vick who torture them and drive them to that behavior.

It is very sad that a breed is getting maligned because a segment of really twisted fucks have decided to turn a decent animal into their dark fantasy.

All breeds of dogs are capable of violence (my brother was scarred by a daschund as a child), but pit bulls aren't any worse than anything else.

• Members

I suspect he'll get more than a slap on the wrist. He'll get hard time but not as much as many hope for. A big fine too as he has deep pockets.

As for his career, well... it's all about the money. If someone can make enough money off of him to make it worthwhile he'll play again . I doubt it will be in ATL. He'll spend a year or two in jail, then take vows of conversion and try a comeback in a couple of years.

My weather forecast for tomorrow: bright and sunny... somewhere. :huh:

Dog fighting and cock fighting have been going on for centuries and are endemic to the Afro-American, Hispanic, and southern white cultures.

Well, as Sam Ervin said to Maurice Stans, "You know, there has been murder and larceny in every generation, but that hasn't made murder meritorious or larceny legal."

Guest CTDick

"Besides, its not as if he was killing toy poodles."

Actually, I've been told by a friend who works for the Humane Society that lots of smaller dogs that disappear are stolen to use as bait to train fighting dogs to kill.

Dick

Guest epigonos

I have to disagree, big time, with the statement that violence is not intrinsic to Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls have traditionally been bred for one purpose and one purpose only â€â€œ to fight in pits. Pit Bulls are NOT permitted in the U.K. because of the viciousness of the bred. The fact is ALL modern breads of dogs have been bred for years, sometimes hundreds of years, for very specific purposes.

Terriers were bred to exterminate farm vermin. They are diggers as they were bred to pursue rats, squirrels, and gophers right into their burrows. They are also extremely tenacious.

Sporting dogs such as spaniels, retrievers, and pointers were bred to assist their owner hunt. It is very common to see these breeds carrying soft toys around in their mouths. Because they were bred to work in proximity with man they like to be around their owner.

Sight Hounds like Afghan Hounds and Borzoi were bred to spot small animals, like antelopes and deer, and run them down. If an Afghan Hound that is being walked off leash see another dog or animal, in the distance, it is gone and good luck trying to run it down these dogs are damn fast.

Enough of this but don’t mistake the importance of long term past breeding. PIT BULLS HAVE BEEN BRED TO KILL and that breeding is next to impossible to eradicate

PIT BULLS HAVE BEEN BRED TO KILL and that breeding is next to impossible to eradicate

No, they've been bred to work.

The American Pit Bull TERRIER (just in case you missed that part of the breed's classification) was bred to work, and they love nothing more than pleasing their master. It makes them one of the most prized breeds for service dogs for the blind and disabled. They are fiercely loyal, and determined to WORK.

They are highly prized in assisting the wheelchair bound for their strength and because nothing makes them happier than WORKING.

That aspect of the breed has been abused over the years by sick individuals involved in dogfighting (which has nothing to do with a pit).

Pit Bull attacks are caused by STUPID PEOPLE. Bubba wants a butch dog so he gets a pit bull, and then lets it roam around free. (There's a Bubba in every neighborhood and social strata.)

Pit bulls are not evil by nature.

Guest epigonos

Deej we may have to agree to disagree on this one. In the "ASPCA Complete Guide to Dogs" they state the following regarding the orgins of the American Pit Butt Terrier. "The American pit bull terrier, a cross between Staffordshire bull terriers and an extinct fighting bulldog, was bred in the 19th century for dogfighting". Their description continues, "The American pit bull terrier is not suitable for inexperienced dog owners, It can be especially aggressive with other dogs. Prosepctive owners should avoid selecting pujppies from fighting stock. It is especially important to obtain and American pit bull terrier from a reputable breeder, as there are, unfortunately, some who choose to breed the most aggressive animals and then train them to maim or kill. Avoid puppies under seven weeks of age that are sold off the street". Bull Terriers are frequently confused with American Pit Bull Terriers and that is unfortunate because Bull Terriers are sweet, energetic and playful dogs. In my opinion the same cannot be said about American Pit Bull Terriers.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

That ASPCA article is 100% correct and actually makes the point I was going for but did not explain well. An inexperienced dog owner getting a Pit Bull of unknown origin is a recipe for disaster.

On the other hand, a Pit Bull with proper socialization can be a highly prized family pet. They actually make great babysitters. (I've known many of them that do.)

Pit Bulls are not as excitable as some other breeds. (Labrador Retrievers are far more likely to respond badly to a surprise.) Children can grab a Pit's tail and a well-raised Pit will respond with a fit of kissing. The Lab (or Dachsund or Chihuahua) is more likely to respond with a nip, no matter how they were raised.

The trait of not responding to surprise is one of the things that makes Pits so valuable as guide dogs. They are mostly unflappable, unless they have been trained otherwise. And that training, to the dog, is WORK.

The most hostile dog I've ever known was a miniature poodle. It was a rescue by relatives. Sweet dog, once you got to know him. But even after many years of visiting I knew better than to jingle car keys. He WOULD attack with intent to do damage. We always figured he was badly abused at a kennel (the keys jingling) before he was rescued.

Any dog can be dangerous in the wrong hands. That does not mean that all dogs are dangerous, and you cannot pin danger on any single breed.

Humans make dogs dangerous to humans. It's not the dog's fault.