TownsendPLocke

Fidel Castro is dead-official report to follow

• Members

Not sure he's dead (yet). Accord to NBC6 in Florida:

U.S. Senior officials said that while there are reports on setbacks in Fidel Castro's health, there are no indications that his death is imminent.

Nothing unusual has been reported from Havana. However, Miami is ablaze with rumors, NBC News reported.

On Thursday, Cuba's foreign minister, Felipe Perez Roque, said rumors about Fidel Castro's deteriorating health are untrue. Roque told reporters in Brazil that the 81-year-old was still in charge of Cuban affairs. He said Castro is "being informed and consulted constantly."

http://www.nbc6.net/news/13965316/detail.h...mi&psp=news

But, Cuba would be interesting to visit.

There are tons of news reports about this right now. Just google Castro and you will see the hints that many think he has died. I just got off the phone with a journalist from the New York Times who has been a good friend since law school and they are on top of the story but they don't know anything official at all. Speculation is afoot but nothing is yet released.

• Members

Reports like this have been floating around for awhile off and on, although more so with the state of Castro's health. Although I might not agree with everything he has done I do admire him on the way he stands up to our government and refuses to be a puppet to D.C.

After Janet Reno sent the stormtroopers for Elian Gonzales I thought Clinton might actually find a way to inch toward some opening to Cuba. Has always seemed to me that one way to deal with Castro would be to moot him by opening the floodgates -- remove each and every U.S.-imposed sanction against Cuba. But too many find Castro a useful enemy, it seems.