TotallyOz

"Top Chef" beaten by anti gay crowd

SEA CLIFF, N.Y. -- A Miami woman who was a former contestant on the reality show "Top Chef" was beaten by attackers yelling anti-gay slurs, her lawyer said Tuesday.

Josie Smith-Malave, a lesbian who was featured on Season 2 of the Bravo channel show, was among a small group of women asked to leave a Sea Cliff bar over Labor Day weekend, lawyer Yetta Kurland said. About 10 young people followed the women out and began screaming anti-gay epithets, spitting on them and then beating them, Kurland said.

The women, who had been on Long Island to attend a friend's birthday party, suffered bruises, and one received injuries to her head. One of them had a camera taken in the attack.

Full Story at:

http://www.local6.com/news/14095578/detail.html

• Members
SEA CLIFF, N.Y. -- A Miami woman who was a former contestant on the reality show "Top Chef" was beaten by attackers yelling anti-gay slurs, her lawyer said Tuesday.

Josie Smith-Malave, a lesbian who was featured on Season 2 of the Bravo channel show, was among a small group of women asked to leave a Sea Cliff bar over Labor Day weekend, lawyer Yetta Kurland said. About 10 young people followed the women out and began screaming anti-gay epithets, spitting on them and then beating them, Kurland said.

The women, who had been on Long Island to attend a friend's birthday party, suffered bruises, and one received injuries to her head. One of them had a camera taken in the attack.

Full Story at:

http://www.local6.com/news/14095578/detail.html

It's difficult to know what to make of this story since there is only one side presented, and that side has decided to withhold all the relevant details. Without any info, it's hard to know why the news would even report it.

It is interesting that they specifically say that Josie's group was asked to leave the bar, raising the question as to whether they were somehow responsible for the disturbance that led to any subsequent violence.

I guess we'll just have to wait to pass judgement when all the evidence is in.

It's difficult to know what to make of this story since there is only one side presented, and that side has decided to withhold all the relevant details. Without any info, it's hard to know why the news would even report it.

It is interesting that they specifically say that Josie's group was asked to leave the bar, raising the question as to whether they were somehow responsible for the disturbance that led to any subsequent violence.

I guess we'll just have to wait to pass judgement when all the evidence is in.

I'm not a criminal jury, I don't need all the facts to accept at face value that another fag-bashing has occurred. Certainly other information could change my mind, but I see no reason at the moment to doubt that the story occurred as it was reported.

• Members
I'm not a criminal jury, I don't need all the facts to accept at face value that another fag-bashing has occurred. Certainly other information could change my mind, but I see no reason at the moment to doubt that the story occurred as it was reported.

I guess we just have different standards for drawing conclusions. I am as at least as gay as you (lol), and become just as outraged I am sure with gay-bashings. If a gay-bashing did indeed take place, I will, like you, want to stand in line at the sentencing hearing to recommend throwing away the key. I read the article, however, and couldn't draw a conclusion based on the facts that were presented (which were almost none).

The story reported:

1) The "top chef", a former contestant in the popular show and professional football player, and her friends (a mix of gay and straight in the group) were asked to leave a bar.

2) 10 people followed them out

3) They assaulted them while allegedly yelling anti-gay epithets.

4) This was on Labor Day weekend

5) No one would comment, and no one would provide details

I am not a jury either. But I can't tell if this thing was a hate crime based on this information. So I see no reason to make up my mind now.

To a Senate witness offering contradictory testimony, Sen. Sam Ervin told of a Carolina justice of the peace confronted with a difficult civil suit: "After hearing the plaintiff, the justice of the peace turned to the defendant and said, 'I would appreciate it very much if you would not present your case because when I hear both sides it gets me confused, and I have trouble making up my mind who's right.'"

• Members
http://www.towleroad.com/2007/09/top-chef-contes.html

and

http://advocate.com/news_detail_ektid48786.asp

I guess it was the "beaten while yelling anti-gay slurs" that tipped me off.

These articles provide a lot more detail as they at least present the victim's claims. From this account, I agree that it's definitely more reasonable to conclude that this was some sort of gay-bashing. We'll just have to disagree on whether you could conclude that from the original article. I couldn't. Sorry.

I just like to hear at least most of the story before I draw conclusions. I understand that's not true of everyone.

And actually there may even be some people who would say you couldn't conclude anything yet because you haven't heard the other side. Imagine that!