Lucky

America's New Idol

My best guess is that John Lennon is turning in his grave if he has any view of that horrific example of pop culture known as American Idol. Wherever he is in the afterlife, it has to be even more turbulent if he's heard a recording of that kid gush-bastardizing the anthem of a generation like he's Mariah Carey at the Super Bowl.

Guest Conway
David will be a superstar someday!!!!

Sadly, given the shallow attraction of most folks to Idol, you're probably right. Popular? Sure, he'll be a superstar...just like the members of the lip syncing disgrace Milli Vanilli were. Talented? Well, there's a reason he and all the other idol contestants cover other people's songs versus singing ones they write themselves.

John Lennon was a superstar. This kid is a pop culture face of the moment.

• Members
Sadly, given the shallow attraction of most folks to Idol, you're probably right. Popular? Sure, he'll be a superstar...just like the members of the lip syncing disgrace Milli Vanilli were. Talented? Well, there's a reason he and all the other idol contestants cover other people's songs versus singing ones they write themselves.

John Lennon was a superstar. This kid is a pop culture face of the moment.

Ignorance is Bliss

I wonder if Kelley Clarkson Carrie Underwood Chris Daughtry who have all sold in excess of 5 million records and many others who have sold millions are any less the successful artist because they dont measure up to John Lennon. I wonder if Jennifer Hudson with all her Grammys and Oscar Nominations is any less a success because she doesnt write her own music.

I think not They are all fabulously successful because of American Idol Putting down the talent on Idol because it doesnt measure up to John Lennon is patently ridiculous

Few do

Guest BewareofNick
Ignorance is Bliss

I wonder if Kelley Clarkson Carrie Underwood Chris Daughtry who have all sold in excess of 5 million records and many others who have sold millions are any less the successful artist because they dont measure up to John Lennon. I wonder if Jennifer Hudson with all her Grammys and Oscar Nominations is any less a success because she doesnt write her own music.

I think not They are all fabulously successful because of American Idol Putting down the talent on Idol because it doesnt measure up to John Lennon is patently ridiculous

Few do

When I saw Dreamgirls in the theatre, the crowd erupted in shouts and applause AND gave Jennifer Hudson a standing ovation. It was an amazing performance.

Guest Conway
Ignorance is Bliss

I wonder if Kelley Clarkson Carrie Underwood Chris Daughtry who have all sold in excess of 5 million records and many others who have sold millions are any less the successful artist because they dont measure up to John Lennon.

As long as there are people who are attracted to image over talent, less talented people will succeed. American Idol, imo, is simply a reflection in the mirror of the bad taste our society has in general. Creativity died in the music industry the day that Simon Cowell was given control of the checkbook at SonyBMG.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on that point.

Guest BewareofNick
As long as there are people who are attracted to image over talent, less talented people will succeed. American Idol, imo, is simply a reflection in the mirror of the bad taste our society has in general. Creativity died in the music industry the day that Simon Cowell was given control of the checkbook at SonyBMG.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on that point.

let's not forget that Simon has been wrong as often as he has been right. Jennifer hudson and Colby Callett come to mind.