BiBottomBoy

Milk

I have been out of the country and unable to see it until now. I went last night with my girlfriend and we both loved it. The story is amazing and Sean Penn was incredible. The movie is a must see for every one on the board. It did tell a good bit of history of the gay movement.

My only question is: What even happened to that cunt Anita Bryant?

Guest epigonos

I though the film was excellent. Sean Penn did an outstanding job. He will very likely get the Academy Award for his portrayal of Harvey Milk. By all means download it. You will enjoy it.

My only criticism, which admittedly isn’t terribly valid, is that I am becoming tired of actors receiving Academy Awards for impersonating people. I personally believe that it is far more difficult to create a fictional or unknown character than to sit in a room watching films and videos of people and then go out and impersonate them. We are seeing more and more of these types of roles and the public seems to love them.

As far as I’m concerned the most outstanding and original film I have seen in years is “Slumdog Millionaireâ€. It isn’t, at time, the easiest film to watch but it is unique, interesting, and extremely well done.

Guest jackhammer91406
I waiting to watch it at home. I's a sensitive fag, and I'm afraid I might cry.

You might be making a good choice if you think that. The only other time in recent memory where the audience remained quiet and in their seats as the credits rolled was BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Then as now, I heard sniffles and muffled sobs throughout the audience.

This is a very good film , with gripping performance. I was not involved in anything gay at the time the events occurred so cannot attest to the authenticity of the portrayal, but it sure "feels" right and it is a very moving film.

From the cunt's wikipedia entry:

The fallout from her political activism had a negative effect on her business and entertainment career. Her contract with the Florida Citrus Commission was allowed to lapse in 1979 because of the controversy and the negative publicity generated by her political campaigns and the resulting boycott of Florida orange juice.

Her marriage to Bob Green failed at that time, and in 1980 she divorced him, although he reportedly has said that his fundamentalist religious beliefs do not recognize civil divorce and that she is still his wife in God's eyes. Kathie Lee Gifford, who worked as a live-in secretary/babysitter for the Greens in the early 1970s, said in her autobiography that Green had a ferocious temper and could be very possessive and emotionally abusive, and that Anita was not very happy.

Some Christian audiences and venues shunned her after her divorce. No longer invited to appear at their events, she lost another major source of income. With her four children, she moved from Miami to Selma, Alabama, and later to Atlanta, Georgia. In a 1980 Ladies Home Journal article she said, "The church needs to wake up and find some way to cope with divorce and women's problems."

In the same article, she said that she felt sorry for all of the anti-gay things she had said and done during her campaigns. She said that she had adopted a more "live and let live" attitude.

She married her second husband, Charlie Hobson Dry, in 1990, and they tried to reestablish her music career in a series of small venues, including Branson, Missouri, and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Their plans failed, however, and Bryant and Dry left behind them a series of unpaid employees and creditors. Her career decline is detailed in her book, A New Day (1992). They filed for bankruptcy in Arkansas (1997) and in Tennessee (2001).

Bryant returned to Barnsdall, Oklahoma, in 2005 for the town's 100th anniversary celebration and to have a street renamed in her honor. She returned to her high school in Tulsa on April 21, 2007, to perform in the school's annual musical revue. She now lives in Edmond, Oklahoma, and says she does charity work for various youth organizations while heading Anita Bryant Ministries International. The ministry's web site features two articles championing her long-standing opposition to the "homosexual agenda".

Girlfriend?

Oz, is there something you are not telling us...

Nope. Queer as a 3 dollar bill. However, most of my friends are from the old days of law school and real jobs. I came to NYC for a wedding. One of my dearest friends daughter's got married. I was the god father. Made me feel ancient!

My girlfriend is that. My dearest and oldest friend. A true scholar and a lady and I love to go with her to these kinds of movies. She was moved and always been supportive of me and my gay desires. Hell, she even helped me pick out a hooker while I was here. ^_^

• Members
The only other time in recent memory where the audience remained quiet and in their seats as the credits rolled was BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Then as now, I heard sniffles and muffled sobs throughout the audience.

This is a very good film , with gripping performance. I was not involved in anything gay at the time the events occurred so cannot attest to the authenticity of the portrayal, but it sure "feels" right and it is a very moving film.

I vividly remember the silence and sniffles and muffled sobs as the credits rolled for Brokeback Mountain. I certainly was one of the sniffler's.

Still haven't seen Milk yet. Not playing anywhere near me...I guess not so surprising in Texas. :(

Guest BewareofNick

I had the opportunity to see Milk here in Atlanta at the FABULOUS Tara Theatre . The first part of the movie was a little slow, but more than made up for by the nudity of the delectable James Franco.

The movie really started to roll as we got into Harvey's various runs for office. Seeing him stand up to so many self righteous conservative Repiglicans made me smile. You really got the sense of how much Harvey loved his gays and the community. He really felt a sense of responsibility for everyone.

It showed how Harvey drawing a line in the sand against the Republicans set the stage for all the progress in gay civil rights since then. You could call Harvey the gay MLK.