caeron

Caroline Kennedy

Does anybody else find her late discovery of interest in politics a bit perverse?

I'm not a fan of the whole 'I'm an amateur who knows nothing about Washington so vote me in" school of campaigning in general. I want a politician who has a clue, and preferably one who has done enough to warrant my vote.

Other than her name, does she really bring anything to the senate that thousands of other new yorkers who would probably like to be senator wouldn't?

Guest epigonos

Well what the hell at least she has lived in New York for a considerable amount of time. That is more than can be said for her uncle Robert Kennedy or Hilary Clinton both of whom were carpetbaggers. New York and California BOTH love celebrity candidates regardless of their political experience, intelligence, or residency.

• Members
And she has enough money where she won't be as tainted by lobbyists as others.

This is the best point in her favor. But is there any substance there? With her tragic family history, the political "limelight" is the last thing I'd think she'd want.

Guest StuCotts
This is the best point in her favor. But is there any substance there? With her tragic family history, the political "limelight" is the last thing I'd think she'd want.

That's an important consideration. She's never in her life demonstrated a taste for politics. For that matter, she hasn't demonstrated any in the interviews she's done since deciding to come out of her shell. She gives the impression she'd like to be senator if the office is handed to her, but not that she's really hot for it, or that she's willing to do anything beyond giving a few interviews and reminding everybody that she's a Kennedy.

What I object to most is the sense of entitlement. To paraphrase: Whatever Kennedy wants, Kennedy gets.

Guest epigonos

Please understand that most politicians, no matter how wealthy they are, do not spend their own money on their campaigns. They “lend†their campaign committees x amount of dollars and then they later repay themselves with money raised through ubiquitous fund raisers. Here in California our “beloved†governor Arnold Schwarznegger who is reputedly worth somewhere between one hundred and two hundred million dollars has more political committees than most people have changes of clothing. Now the big questions are: 1.) Who pays for these fundraisers, 2.) Who pays for tables at these fundraisers, and 3.) Who pays for tickets to these fundraisers. The answer to all three questions is the same: LOBBYISTS. Thus, simply because Caroline Kennedy in independently wealthy one should not, for a minute, assume that she won’t quickly become beholden to lobbyists – she will.

If being in the “limelight†was the “last†thing that Caroline Kennedy wants, were the case, SHE WOULD NOT HAVE THROWN HER HAT INTO THE RING FOR THE NEW YORK U.S. SENATE SEAT. Just remember she is a Kennedy and virtually all of the Kennedys thrive on being political players.

Do also remember there are no SAINTS in politics only WHORES!!!!!

Guest StuCotts

Epiginos -- Even for politicians there has to be a middle ground between sainthood and whoredom, but that's a whole other thread.

I disagree only with your assumption that Caroline has thrown her hat into the ring. In my view, she's shown her hat to the ring from a distance and is waiting for the ring to ask it in. I consider Gov. Paterson smart. Smart enough not to be stampeded by the the premature shouts of victory from Caroline's supporters, I hope.

P.S. She's not all Kennedy. She was purposely raised far from the clan by her Bouvier mother who was adamant about not wanting either of her kids to suffer the taint.

I consider Gov. Paterson smart. Smart enough not to be stampeded by the the premature shouts of victory from Caroline's supporters, I hope.

Indeed. One gets the sense that he is standing back, watching as Caroline's poll numbers drift down, and sharply aware of the value of this public vetting period before Hillary is confirmed and the seat ready to be filled.

• Members
If being in the “limelight†was the “last†thing that Caroline Kennedy wants, were the case, SHE WOULD NOT HAVE THROWN HER HAT INTO THE RING FOR THE NEW YORK U.S. SENATE SEAT. Just remember she is a Kennedy and virtually all of the Kennedys thrive on being political players.

Do also remember there are no SAINTS in politics only WHORES!!!!!

In my post I said being in the limelight was the last thing I'd think she'd want. That's I would think she would want. I was not stating that I knew her attitude.

NO NEED TO SCREAM!!! ;)

Guest BewareofNick
Well there's a vote for name recognition, or maybe just the look of her.

I listened to some interviews yesterday and have to say, "girl, get some media training, it isn't as hard as you're making it."

Couldn't the same have been said about Sarah Palin?

Guest StuCotts
Couldn't the same have been said about Sarah Palin?

Probably so, but Palin's problems go far beyond insufficient media training. See her latest interview. She's abrasive, whiny, self-righteous, vacant and dishonest enough to blame everybody but herself for her shortcomings. She's apparently also bitterly envious of women who have achieved success on the basis of brains and talent: Couric and Fey. I don't think any of that can be said of Caroline Kennedy.

I suspect Sarah Palin is smarter than she comes across, but she needed training too. She didn't know what she wanted to say in the interview, and worse she tried to dodge easy questions. I'm not sure why.

Now she's just turning into a whiny loser. Katie was an easy interview and she blew it. It wasn't Katie that ambushed her. Tina Fey's character was no worse than Biden or Clinton got. It was just funnier because it rang so true.

Guest StuCotts

NY's Dems have once again demonstrated their anti-Midas touch, i.e., the ability to turn gold into cowflops. So much for any respect we thought might be due to Gov. Paterson.

So much for any respect we thought might be due to Gov. Paterson.

One of the commentariat remarked how pathetic for Paterson that Blagojevich, flailing under indictment and threat of impeachment, still managed to act more decisively in naming his Senate appointment.

I can't believe the idiotic train wreck of anonymous innuendo.

Paterson really didn't control this process very well to let that mess happen.

Though to be fair, the last minute withdrawal of Kennedy was pretty suspect. It sure read to me like, "I'm going to lose, so I quit."

Guest BewareofNick
I can't believe the idiotic train wreck of anonymous innuendo.

Paterson really didn't control this process very well to let that mess happen.

Though to be fair, the last minute withdrawal of Kennedy was pretty suspect. It sure read to me like, "I'm going to lose, so I quit."

The conservative media, Sean hannity in particular, was going after Caroline with a meanness normally reserved for Barack Obama. I imagine Rupert told them to give it to her good after the way he felt Sarah Palin was mistreated (even thought she caused her own trainwreck).