Guest tomcal

Staying Safe in Rio

Staying Safe in Brazil - the first thing most people say to me when I tell them I go to Rio is "Isn't it very dangerous?" I tell them it's no different than any major metropolitan area in the world. There are areas I wouldn't walk around in L.A. or Miami day or night, and you have to exercise the same caution. In Rio, I am out every night when I am there and have never had a problem nor have the 3 other guys that are usually there when I am. - Luck? Yeah I am sure that plays a part, but also being a little "street wise" doesn't hurt.

First, don't wear jewelery, either rings or watches! There was one American that told me one night walking along a street back from a restaurant a guy came up and robbed him of his watch and he said "it was only a Timex"! Timex or Rolex they don't know the difference, all they know is you have something of value! So dont' give them a reason to check you out.

Second, if possible always walk with a friend. I often tell guys who are alone at Corujinhas restaurant, If you are there alone offer one of the boys there $10R to walk with you back to the Hotel 5 blocks away. they are usually more than happy to do that. Corujinhas restuarant is now a relatively safe since the park across the street has been cleaned up and put up large Bright street lights.

I have often walked back from Leboy Disco somewhere between 1:00 and 2:00 a.m. to the hotel which is about a 15 min. walk and find it very safe. One thing I learned from from locals is when you walk along the beach blvd(Avenida Atlantica) at night, walk along the Hotel side not the beach side. The Hotel side is packed with hotels/condos/restaurants and people and therefore your not likely to have anyone bother you. the beach side is much fewer people and darker with the street lights much more spead out. the only incidents of someone being robbed that I have been told about has occured with guys who were walking along the much less busy beach side at night.

Take a CAB!! If you have any concern, feel unsafe or think someone is watching you, take a cab, even if it's only the 5 blocks from Corujinhas to the Hotel! Luck is often about being Smart. I have to say that the few incidents of problems I have heard about, usually was the result of a guy thinking with his wrong "head"!

Do Not bring someone back to your hotel/Apt. unless you are a experienced Brazil traveller! Have sex at the sauna where it's safe. Once you have developed a relationship with one of the sauna guys than invite him back for a overnight if you want. But do not do this with a guy you have met anywhere else! "Boa Noite Cinderella" has happened to a number of guys.. that means goodnight cinderalla and it's a drug(GHB) which the guy will slip into your drink or with a syringe into one of those Juicy center chewing gums and than offer you one. the result---you wake up hours later with no money/creditcards/camera/phone or passport! I had dinner a year ago with two guys in L.A. and gave them this info. They went to Rio and on their first day went to the gay beach in Copacabana, met two hot guys who said "let's go back to your room for some fun"! They woke up 10 hours later with all their valuables gone! Than they remembered the guys saying, do you want a coke? and that's up they ended up drugged!

Again these are very very rare examples considering the number of guys that go to Rio each year. But you don't want yourself being one of those rare incidents!

Brazil is alot of fun with stunning guys and you will have a great time, as long as you remember the above tips!

• Members

Great Advice TomCal,

and this is still happening.Just got an email from a friend visiting Rio.Meets two guys on the beach in Copa-they chat him up,invite him out to LeBoy later on-sure enough one buys him a drink.

Now It could have been nothing at all going on here-but fortunatelyI had warned my friend of this and he did not drink that drink.The two guys left shortly after this.

• Members

My first night in Rio I was having a wonderful meal at a restaurant on the beach street. Up the block there was some commotion, so I checked it out. One dead body, under wraps, but a big stick still protruding through him. And here it had been so festive just a block away.

In fairness, I went four more times and saw no crime at all.

• Members

Safety during this trip to Rio

After having read what is published on the subject, I must say that I was a bit reluctant to go to Rio thinking that I would have to go from one safe place to another, using only taxis, etc. And the first night I went out alone I took a taxi for a ride of 500 m from Pointe 202 sauna to my hotel in Sigueira Campos ...

After I met there a friend who knows very well the place and we started to use the metro, to walk in the streets, etc. I consider the situation to be completely different and it seemed to me to be completely safe to do that, even at night !

Of course this rule can be applied safely only to the streets where there is still activity going on (bars opened, people in the street walking, talking, eating, etc.). And you must look as local as possible ... Of course this does not apply to any visit of favela, but do you really need to visit a favela ?

Or course, some basic rules have to applied (copy of part of an article on Rio) :

DOs and DONTs

Do not even bother packing flashy jewelry, gold, or platinum and diamond-studded watches. If you've got it or like it, this is place to buy them but not the place to flaunt it...

Your invaluable valuables belong in the safety box of your hotel room. Carry along a photocopy of your passport, in case you are asked to show some ID. Leave the original together with your driver's license in your safety box (unless you're driving, of course).

Do not take along more cash than you need. Most restaurants and stores take plastic, anyway, and you use your debit cards ATM's at selected banks.

Stay on the South side of Rio, or at areas specifically recommend by our insider's guide. Avoid dark or isolated areas where you do not see a single soul at night (duhh), such as the Flamengo Park, or the Financial District. Walk with a sense of purpose, as if you knew where you are going to. Looking like a victim is the first step to becoming one.

Don't leave your camcorder or state-of-the-art camera swinging from your limp hand, like a shopping bag. Wear shoulder straps. If you bring along expensive cameras, camcorders or laptops, consider an insurance.

At the beach, do not leave your expensive camera, passport and/or cash laying around on the sand unattended while you go for a few laps. Do not hide your money in your $200 sneakers either, or you will lose both (that's an old one).

Don't take off your watch and leave it laying on the sand behind your back while you are sitting on the sand distracted by the girls or boys that pass by (we've seen saw someone do this...)

Do not take regular buses alone (see getting around), taxis cost much less than you expect. If you must take a bus (at your own risk), avoid the window seats and the back rows.

Keep the exact change in hand, so you don't have to mess with your wallet (which is obviously in your front pocket).

Good Night Cinderella is an old trick that still works. You take a drink offered by a friendly stranger (men or woman). It contains powerful sleeping drugs. You will need help to get back to your hotel room, and this caring and friendly person will gain access to your valuables while you are helpless. Do not leave your drink unattended at bars or discos, for the same reason.

Don't take strangers you've just met back to your hotel room - even if you think you are in love! This is the easiest way to become a victim of violence or theft. Say that your hotel does not allow visitors (which may well be true) and go to a honeymoon motel, instead. Everybody knows where to find them.

If someone accidentally spills something on you in the street, and offers to clean it say thank you, and walk away. They may have a partner waiting for a chance to pick your wallet while you are distracted with the action.

Another no-no: Taking a stranger you have just met back to your hotel room is the easiest way of getting into trouble while in Rio. To avoid putting yourself and your valuables at risk go to a neutral environment instead . There are hotels that charge by the hour, and don't ask any questions when you check-in without any luggage. Locals refer to them generally as motels, and everybody knows where to find them. If you need any excuses, just say that your actual hotel does not allow unregistered guests. It may well be true, anyway.

Were we victims or witness of robbery or of tentatives of robbery ?

Three or four times :

- at the Copacabana Palace Brunch which was charged 200 reais (70 Euros)

- at the Churrasqueria the last Saturday where the prices where twice the prices we paid during the week without any indication

- in front of Ipanema gay beach where I was having a drink alone and was joined by a cute lad around 25 who, during more than one hour tried to convince me to join him in his wonderful flat above the city, where he had the best views, the best drinks, the best music, etc. playing in various emotional domains : that he was in love with my eyes (asking me 3 times to remove my sun glasses to see my eyes), that he had lost his partner 2 weeks ago and that he could not stay alone in his apartment, etc... I really wonder what would have happened had I joined him ... (or rather I know very well what would have happened). The way I was contacted also is a proof of a good professional : he was sitting at another table and did not come to my table except when he decided to have a swim asking me to watch over his valuables that he put on my table (watch, telephone, shirt) and when he came back from the sea, he asked the permission to sit at the same table ...

- in the Metro from the ... Paris airport to the city. I took a non direct train, which I do not like even though at 8 am the risks are limited, but I always sit with a physical contact with my luggage (between the legs, or with a hand on it, ..), which was not the case of another guy sitting very close to me. At a stop, he was asked information by a man, and was busy answering him while another one, very naturally, took the small suitcase he had and left the train when the doors closed. Among the few passengers in the train, included myself, no one noticed anything, but when he guy looked at this luggage, he understood that he had been robbed. At 8.30 am in Paris.... No need to go to Rio... And what would have happened if someone had reacted trying to prevent him to rob the luggage ? I am not sure that the thief would not have ended with some weapons in hand and then ...

One last comment about Rio : the taxis are very reliable : all used the meters and no one tried to cheat. The fare to and from the airport was 40 Reais (15 Euros). And indeed the taxis are really cheap in Rio.

• Members

Flamengo Park ^_^ It's funny I was one night there with group of locals on some party on open. In one moment I want to go somewhere else but my friends told me it's better if we wait others because it's much safer if you walk in a group.

Also I was using metro very often and i find it very safe. My opinion is that Lapa is pretty unsafe during the nights so if you go there take a cab.

Also Leblon is very safe, I was walking there alone at 3 a.m. without any problems.