Gaybutton

How to Obtain the Retirement Visa - Update

Many of you may be familiar with my article, "How to Obtain the Retirement Visa." If you would like to have it, please feel free to send an E-mail to me at gaybutton@gmail.com and I'll be happy to send you a copy.

As many of you know, one of the ways to get the visa includes a letter from your embassy verifying your monthly retirement income. I have not yet had a chance to personally check this, but yesterday I was told by someone who holds the retirement visa that it is not , repeat not, necessary to obtain a new letter each year when you are about to apply for a new visa. According to his information, the original letter is valid until your passport expires.

I hope that's correct. It would save a trip to Bangkok, going to the embassy at those terrible hours (The US embassy is open from 7:30 AM to 11:00 AM and then again from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM), and paying them the 1200 baht fee they require to issue the letter.

If anyone has a chance to check this and verify the information before I have a chance to do it myself, please post what you are able to find out.

GB,

Your friend is substantially correct. I and several other friends use the Embassy letter to quqlify for the "retirement" visa (12 month extension of "O" visa based on meeting retirement qualifications). I used the same letter my first 3 times (2003, 2004, & 2005). I renewed my passport in March 2006 and obtained a new letter at that time. I used the new letter in 2006.

When you go to Immigration, be sure to have the original and a copy of the Embassy letter. They will accept the copy (signed and dated by the applicant as is the norm for photocopies of original documents). HOWEVER, they will often ask to see the original letter and sometimes the lady Captain will rub her finger across the Embassy letter's "embossed stamp" to verify it is the original.

I have "heard" that Immigration will accept the same letter several times, but if it is starting to get dated (3-5 years), they may ask for another "original." Me and my friends make it a habit to go to Immigration 2-3 weeks before the visa expires to re-apply. So if Immigration should suddenly want a new letter, there is time to take care of it before the visa expires.

Also, on the retirement visa issue, another friend that uses the 800k on deposit to qualify each year confirmed with Immigration a few months before that for "renewal" they do not require the full 800k be on deposit for 3 months -- that is for new applicants. So, he "topped up" his bank account about a week before going in to renew his visa for another year -- no problems encountered.

Of course, all that being said, this is Thailand, so the rules could change tomorrow. :unsure:

Guest Trongpai

If you using an income statement for the "O" renewal, how about showing that you have a Thai bank account, is that being asked. If so, do they want a letter from the bank or just your passbook?

" What do you need to supply to the embassy to obtain the letter verifying your income? Is it the same with embassies other than the American one?"

For USA, nothing. You just fill in the form, pay cashier, sign under oath. Strange system. I don't know about any other embassy.

Sometimes you get lucky at the US embassy, no long wait, other times not so. They have a ticket machine now, take a number. I see a lot entering and spending a lot of time looking around where to go and miss the ticket machine. Don't get in the line outside or any lines inside. Go in the court yard, go to the right and in a small room. The ticket machine is on the far side of the small room and not easy to see. People stand in front of it.

What do you need to supply to the embassy to obtain the letter verifying your income? Is it the same with embassies other than the American one?

Trongpai is correct. At the US embassy you don't need to supply anything. I'll never forget the first time I went to the embassy. I was armed with a stack of documentation to prove my income. When I started to hand it over to the clerk, she stopped me and wasn't interested at all. She said she doesn't need any of that. They just take your word for it. Ok . . .

I have no idea what the requirements are at embassies other than the US embassy, but a phone call to your country's embassy should answer that question.

To answer Trongpai's question, the immigration police want both the bank passbook, preferably updated the same day you go to apply for the visa, and the letter from the bank.

I have also heard they no longer require a medical certificate, but I'll take one anyway. My boyfriend recently needed a medical certificate. Any of the local clinics can supply one. We went to one near my home to get one for him. All he did was walk in and ask for it. He never even saw the doctor. The cashier simply handed one right over to him. We were in and out of that clinic in about 20 seconds. Apparently all that particular clinic required was that you have to actually be alive. The fee was 50 baht . . . Welcome to Thailand.

I agree with the answers given to the questions asked.

The US Embassy ACS section has a "form" letter, which you complete with your income and passport information. You will be directed to the cashier to pay the fee (about $30 US - they take US dollars, Thai baht, or credit card). You return your documents to the window along with receipt - usually will be required to wait until your name is called by a consular officer who will then "adminsiter an oath" on the accuracy of document and then put the Embassy seal on the letter and sign it (in essence, notarizing the statement - the $30 fee by the ways is the standard notary fee for the first document - as i recall, any additional documents are $20 each -- I went through that process when I sold my house in USA and had to have my signature notarized on several closing documents).

The ACS section makes periodic visits to Pattaya - their next one is scheduled for May 25th (Friday) from 8:00am to 12:00pm at the Dusit Resort on Beach Road. According to their announcement, their next visit after this will be in August or September. They do provide notarial services and have the "income" letter form available - they do request that you have exact change in dollars or Thai baht (I don't believe credit card payment is an option for the outreach visits).

I have no first hand knowlege regarding other Embassies, but have heard that they often require some evidence or proof of the income. When I go to Thai Immigration, I always take along documents showing my retirement income and records showing I have transferred funds into Thailand equivalent to the requirement (800,000 baht during the year - monthly income requirement is 1/12 of that amount). I have never been asked by Thai Immigration for anything more than the "Embassy letter," but being the "worry wart" that I am, I like to be prepared "just in case."

A medical certificate is no longer required for "renewal" of the retirement visa, but is still required for the initial application -- two friends have renewed since that change in policy and were not required to have the Certificate. A photocopy of the passbook and original of letter from your Thai bank wil be needed - I usually copy the face page of the bank book and the last page showing the balance -- the date of the balance and the letter should be very recent - I have heard different numbers for the days that will be accepted - I usually get them the day before I go to Immigrtation for renewal. I also suggest you take your original bank pass book with you in case they want to compare it to the origianal.

Generally, IMO Pattaya Immigration staff are efficient and easy to deal with. However, they are Government officials and expect you to show proper respect -- dress nicely, be polite, and smile a lot.

Guest Trongpai

GB article on Retirement Visas might have covered this but when you go to the US Embassy they take your cell phone and give you a number card. You need a second form of ID too to leave with the cell phone. Then when you leave you go to a desk to the left of the exit and reclaim it.

Sometimes there's a line at the desk. The system does not impress me for the security of your ID and cell phone, they are just sitting on a shelf, in a box or on the desk. The guard has no system of locating your cell phone and you have to look and point out your property. It can take time too if he can't find one the line is held up. So, best advise I have is don't take it.

Of course, I have never followed my own advise. Maybe next time.

Guest Trongpai

Thanks GB, I went to the Silom Branch of the Bangkok Bank today. I have been there many times but never for a letter of confirmation that I have a bank account. I asked at the info counter and was directed to the ticket machine and made a selection. Out of the 15 or so choices, none say anything close to what I want , I picked one. I took a seat and after 20 min. my number was called to a desk.

I was told that I was at the wrong desk and in the wrong room. I needed to go to counter 58, first floor, two lefts and a right. I found counter 58, it's marked "Accounts of the Deceased". I felt funny asking at this counter but seems it's the correct choice, dead or alive. No number machine at this desk, I guess your number has all ready come up if your at counter 58, it's also the last counter.

I filled out a form, they have forms for every thing. 100 Baht, my passbook and passport. 10 min. latter I get the letter from the very cute boy at counter 58.

Guest wowpow

I am curious. When you got o the American Embassy and get a letter what exactly does it state. If it says that you have declared/sworn that your pension income is $X or does it confirm that. If the latter it would seem dishonest.

I am curious. When you got o the American Embassy and get a letter what exactly does it state.

It states as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam:

This is to affirm that ______, an American Citizen, born on ______, at ______, is the holder of U.S. Passport number ______, issued at ______ on ______ and which expires on ______.

He/she affirms that he/she receives in amount of US$______ every month from the United States Government and/or other sources.

He/she is applying for an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

You fill in the blanks and the embassy notarizes it. The letter simply states that the person involved is affirming his income. It doesn't say anything about verification.

In other words, anyone can get the letter and state any amount they want. The embassy is only notarizing the fact that this is what you stated. The whole thing seems ridiculous to me, but that's what Thailand requires in lieu of producing a Thai bank account that holds a minimum of US $20,000 for three months. It's just one more thing on my "I don't get it" list.

The best part is the embassy charges 1200 baht for that letter.

Guest wowpow

Extraordinary as you say GB. By the way the new 3 months requirement for one's 800,000 baht in a Thai Bank before applying for a 'retirement' visa only applies to the first application. It was introduced to, purportedly, stop applicants borrowing the money for a few days.

Both that and subsequent applications can be a mix of income and deposit. The requirement is for an income of 65,000 baht a month OR 800,000 in the bank. An income of 32,500 per month and 400,000 deposit is acceptable or any mix of the two.

I was under the impression that the lump sums in the bank had to have a letter from the bank stating that the money had come from abroad. It seems that not all are required to show this?

I was under the impression that the lump sums in the bank had to have a letter from the bank stating that the money had come from abroad. It seems that not all are required to show this?

As far as I know the letter from a Thai bank, at which you have an account, is still required and it has to be a new letter each year. The letter is written in Thai, so I don't have any idea what it actually says, but I do know the gist of it is a verification that the source funds is from abroad. Most of the banks, by the way, charge a fee of 200 baht for that letter.

GB, I believe you are correct on letter contents, but like you, I don't know for sure as it is in Thai.

A recent letter (original) from the bank is required for initial application and each annual renewal. It doesn't matter whether you are qualifying on 800K in the bank, embassy letter on monthyly income only, or a combination of the two. I have heard that the letter needs to be within 5 days of the application -- for myself, I go to the bank and get it the day before I make the application - fee is 200 baht at Bangkok Bank.

My branch is the one on the way from South Road heading toward Jomtien. It used to be obtained at the customer service counter (take a number), which opened when the bank opened. This was changed two years ago and is now obtained from the Currency Exchange Counter, which doesn't open until 10am (I think), but it might be 11am.

Guest Trongpai

I went to Thai Immigration today in Bangkok. They would not take a copy of the USA Embassy letter, they wanted the original and gave me the copy back. Then they wanted the original letter from the bank and yes, it had to be no less then 5 days old. They did not want to see my bank passbook.

Copy of passport, photo page and visa page.

There are new signs all over immigration saying 5000B on the spot fine for every day over 90 on the 90 day report law.

2lz2p: Funny at The Bangkok Bank in Bangkok it's 100B. Also strange you have to go to the exchange window but it's better than going to the dead persons account window. I guess the rule in Thailand is to go to the last place that would come to mind and your spot on.

There are new signs all over immigration saying 5000B on the spot fine for every day over 90 on the 90 day report law.

That's 5000 baht, as in five-thousand? I thought it was 500 baht per day. If that's not a typo, then they've dramatically raised their fees.

Guest wowpow

I think that Trongpai may be referring to the Residence notification. On a retirement Visa you have to report and confirm your address every 90 days. There used be a fine of 2000 baht if you were over a week or so.

They have been talking about allowing people to do this via the Internet. Already in some remote areas you can do it by post. It seems to serve very little purpose and the fines seem draconian. It would be better if the rule was that you must notify any change of address within a certain period and be fined if you don't.

My Thai friend went to register a change of colour on his motorbike. The fee is 15 baht. He was fined 500 baht as he had delayed over a week before reporting the change.

Just on the letters front. I went to Bangkok Pattaya to get a certificate of health adequate to drive in support of my driving license application. I know that you can walk into any clinic and get one for 100 baht. I checked the cost and was told 200 baht. The final bill was 507 baht due to Doctor's and Hospital fees. For this I got a tatty photocopied paper with bits handwritten by the Doc and a small stamp. Not impressive in a Nation obsessed with paper.

Last year, I opted to get a medical certificate from Dr. Mongkol (his clinic is across from Foodmart and opposite Pan Pan on Thapraya Road - Jomtien aea). He charged 150 baht - But, unlike reports about other clinics, he actually met with me and gave me a brief physical.

As I previously mentioned, Immigration is no longer requiring the medical certificate for renewals.

As to the Embassy letter - copy vs original - A friend told me that the US Embassy folks told him he would need to get another original the following year when he got his during an outreach visit to Pattaya. I was there at the same time for other business and I mentioned to the Embassy lady that I had used a copy on my preceding renewal and was told I could use a copy again the next time -- she expressed surprise as she understood they required an original each time. So, it appears the practice in Bangkok is different than the one in Pattaya -- apparently up to the local Immigration office.

In that regard, I have found - especially the last couple of years - that Pattaya Immigration is very efficient and usually very easy to deal with -- unlike stories you can read on Thai Visa about other locations. So, at least IMHO, we are fortunate to have our Immigration needs taken care of by that office. ;)

Just like everything else in Thailand, from these posts it seems as if everybody gets a different story and it seems that what is actually required and/or accepted is entirely up to the staff officer you happen to be dealing with that day.

It's not limited to just immigration. When I first moved here I wanted a second bank account. I went to one branch office and was told they no longer issue accounts to foreigners at all. I went to another branch of the same bank and was told they do issue bank accounts to foreigners, but you have to hold a work permit. I went to a third branch and was issued a bank account with no problem at all. All of these were branches of the very same bank, all within the same city. figure that one out.

Guest GaySacGuy

It's not limited to just immigration. When I first moved here I wanted a second bank account. I went to one branch office and was told they no longer issue accounts to foreigners at all. I went to another branch of the same bank and was told they do issue bank accounts to foreigners, but you have to hold a work permit. I went to a third branch and was issued a bank account with no problem at all. All of these were branches of the very same bank, all within the same city. figure that one out.

I recently tried to open an account at Bangkok Bank in Pattaya. I was told that I couldn't open an account unless I held a one year visa. Now, how could I have a certain amount required for the retirement visa in a Thai bank, when I can't open the account until I have the Visa. Can anyone say Catch 22???

I recently tried to open an account at Bangkok Bank in Pattaya.

Just go to a different branch, or even talk to someone else at the same branch. You'll probably get an entirely different response. From what I have been told, anyone can open an account at Bangkok Bank, regardless of the type of visa you hold, but you can only get online banking if you have the one-year visa or a work permit.

Guest Trongpai
That's 5000 baht, as in five-thousand? I thought it was 500 baht per day. If that's not a typo, then they've dramatically raised their fees.

Who knows, maybe they left off a dismal point, I did not ask and I am not setting foot in the place again for 90 days, maybe 89 days just to be safe. There are signs and instruction with all sorts of fractured ambiguous English all over the Bangkok Immigration Office. It's an adventure just going there.

The letter from the USA Embassy is income per month in US dollars. I had not heard from anyone that it has to be converted to Baht but I though maybe I should. That day I ran a dollar to baht conversion and low and behold I was asked was the amount in Baht at today's exchange rate. I whipped out the print out and showed here the exact figure. She seem to like that and attached it to the letter.

Guest frodo

Here is my retirement visa experience.

I entered Thailand on 4th May with a single entry non-immigrant visa, and I qualify on income alone. I opened a bank account and put some money in. Last Friday I visited the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok to get my proof of income letter. I had to fill out an affidavit stating my income, show proof and verbally swear an oath. I received the letter stating my income in Thai baht at a cost of 1500 baht. The whole process took 30 minutes.

On Tuesday I went to my Bank, took some money out, and received a letter from Bank proving my account etc. Also got photocopies of my bankbook showing recent withdrawal and account details. Cost for this was 200 baht. Then I went to Pattaya Immigration, and when I was called went to desk #8. I presented my filled out application form with photo (4cm by 6cm) , passport and photocopies of passport pages, photocopy of proof of income letter with original, Bank letter and bankbook photocopies. No medical certificate was required. Cost was 1900 baht.

I then waited on chairs at the side of the desk for about 5 minutes, and then was called to the Lady Captain's desk behind desk #8. She gave me my original proof of income letter back, asked what my occupation was before I retired and scanned over all the documents. I was given a tag number and asked to come back at 4pm.

When I returned I went straight to the chairs at the side of desk #8 and waited as the Lady Captain was seeing someone. She called me over after she had finished and gave me my passport back and explained 90 days reporting etc. I then asked where I should go to get a multiple re-entry permit. She told me to get a photcopy of my passport (just the main page) and go to position #1. I got the photocopy just outside for 5 baht, then got my number for position 1. After just 5 minutes, I went to desk #3 with the filled out application form and photo, passport with photocopy and 3800 baht. I was asked to sit back in waiting area. Within 3 to 4 minutes I was called and I received my passport back with the re-entry permit.

I was impressed with the whole process. On a personal note, I was wearing a dress shirt and pants and shoes to show respect. I noticed many people dressed in t shirts, beach shorts and flip flops. Well, up to them, but I wonder what kind of service they received.

Guest wowpow

I was in Pattaya Immigration today to make my 90 day report. The guy told me that I must renew my one year visa when it is due 22nd July. Then he said "No more 30 days" I looked bemused. I asked if you had to have 800 ,000THB in the bank for 3 months prior to applying and he said "yes". I asked if he was sure as before I was told that it is not necessary for renewals and he said " I am sure".

I will have had the money in so I don't have a problem but others have been advised differently.

I wonder if previously you could get a 30 day extension on your 1 year Visa?

I wonder if previously you could get a 30 day extension on your 1 year Visa?

I don't know the answer to that one, but I do know that if you do not have the means to be able to keep 800,000 baht in your bank account, you can still use the income statement from your embassy in lieu of the money.

Guest buckeroo2

I got a retirement visa in Nov 2006 - not a renewal - 1st time applicant and I did not have to have a medical certificate. That particular line on the application had a line through it to show it was no longer needed.

Now to my question. - I have determined that November is not going to work on an on going basis for a Thailand arrival. December works better - so I have to start the process over again to get a new retirement visa as I will not be here in November when it needs to be renewed. The process was fairly straight forward and I had all the documentation in hand. I started the process with a 30 day tourist visa and had it coneverted into an "O" and then retirement visa in one day's time. There was some discussion in earlier posts that the US embassy proof of income would be accepted until my passport expires. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether my US Embassy proof of income from Nov 2006 will be accepted when I apply to get a new Thai retirement visa in Dec 2007?

I don't know the answer to that one, but I do know that if you do not have the means to be able to keep 800,000 baht in your bank account, you can still use the income statement from your embassy in lieu of the money.