Guest wowpow

Street kids cared for by Pattaya City

Guest wowpow

Homeless Children Training Plan.

On Wednesday a meeting took place in Pattaya City Hall chaired by Khun Woodhesuk, one of the deputy mayor’s, and attended by tourist police and district officers as well as some local business representatives to discuss the success of the first homeless children project which had been established last year. 
The attendees agreed the project, which aimed at taking homeless children aged between 13 and 17 off the streets of the city and into a learning and training environment, had been largely successful. A number of corporate sponsors indicated they were keen to continue to help with funding the project, with its ancillary benefit being a potential reduction in street crime.

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_13_06_50.htm

Good news I think. Quite why the article is accompanied by photos which include a bloody corpse I don't understand.

Guest wowpow

I think they must have placed the wrong photo on that article. Anyway, that particular photo is no longer included in the article.

IPB Image

If it went it came back again - it's there at 10.40 this morning. Sure it's a mistake but what a curious one? Perhaps they could not bring themselves to have a pure good news story?

IPB Image

If it went it came back again - it's there at 10.40 this morning. Sure it's a mistake but what a curious one? Perhaps they could not bring themselves to have a pure good news story?

It is actually Sexpat from Bahtstop who promptly topped himself on seeing a good news story.

Sheeesh! This is getting bizarre. I just had another look and what I saw was the same as I saw earlier this morning - six photos, and every one of them are photos of the meeting without the corpse photo.

Your guess is as good as mine . . .

Guest GayPattayan

Sheeesh! This is getting bizarre. I just had another look and what I saw was the same as I saw earlier this morning - six photos, and every one of them are photos of the meeting without the corpse photo.

Your guess is as good as mine . . .

I guess I'm lucky... I saw the official photos.

I do worry a little though about whether these street kids are taken forciolby against their will and held and made to do all the things orphans have to go through, or whether they have any true "free choice". I think even young people should have a free choice between being locked up without proof of crime, or held and required to remain, or if they are free to leave. There are many in every society who don't want to live by the restrictions others want to place upon them, and I think their rights should be respected unless they are criminals. I don't think runaways should be locked up against their will, for instance.

G.P.

I think their rights should be respected unless they are criminals. I don't think runaways should be locked up against their will, for instance.

G.P.

Would you believe I still have yet to see the photo of the corpse? I'm still getting the same six photos I mentioned above. That's another one I can add to my "I don't get it" list.

I agree that nobody, including minors, should be imprisoned if they have not committed any crimes, but I also think that minors shouldn't be left to just roam the streets, completely on their own, with no kind of supervision or care at all. On the streets they're on their own and all too often end up being drug addicts, criminals, gang members, or lord-knows-what. The alternatives, such as orphanages, may not be all that great, but they're not hellholes out of a Dickens novel either.

Guest wowpow

Corpse of a Norwegian swinging from a main waterpipe photo - not for the squeamish http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_14_06_50_2.htm

I don't imagine that any 13 year old street urchin would necessarily welcome discipline and education but it would be, hopefully, for the best. A seventeen year old is another matter.

I remember meeting a youth under a bridge in Chiang Mai - I was waiting for the floral show crowds to disperse. He told me that all the street kids slept there and that they all sniffed glue and I saw some doing that. He also told me proudly that he only f*** katoey if she pay. After chatting I gave him 100 baht and he was very happy. His first priorities were to go and have a shower with clean water for 15 baht and do laundry. He told me that he shower in the river and not clean.

I was rather pleased to be reporting some 'good news but it seems to have gone sad.