Lucky

Weather

• Members

The only FF ticket available, and it's a good schedule except for the coach part, is the end of January, beginning of February. Coming from the desert, humidity is my enemy. I usually sweat a few pounds off in visiting Thailand.

My preferred time to go is right after Christmas, but airfares are high then and no FF tickets available at decent mileage.

I once stayed in Bangkok the first week of March and for a couple of days it was unbearably hot.

So, I ask the Thailand regulars: Does the weather get much hotter at the end of January than in the holiday period?

• Members

The only FF ticket available, and it's a good schedule except for the coach part, is the end of January, beginning of February. Coming from the desert, humidity is my enemy. I usually sweat a few pounds off in visiting Thailand.

My preferred time to go is right after Christmas, but airfares are high then and no FF tickets available at decent mileage.

I once stayed in Bangkok the first week of March and for a couple of days it was unbearably hot.

So, I ask the Thailand regulars: Does the weather get much hotter at the end of January than in the holiday period?

Honestly I don't notice much difference until getting into March when it becomes more Humid and the temp may rise 1 or 2 degrees. But this year has been wetter then most and yet the days have been more variable. There have been some days that are almost cool and others where it has been extremely Hot in the same week.

Weather patterns around the world seem to be changing.

• Members

Lucky has to get up the nerve to go. The bf does not like Thailand. To help, I watched the movie Love of Siam, which is 2 and 1/2 hours (in subtitles) but we couldn't stop watching. Even though the boys who star in the movie are meant to be high school age, it is okay to say that they are very cute, because, in real life, they were 19 when the film was made. Mario Mauer, who plays Tong, has gone on to a career in modeling and also been in a few films.

Mario

mario4.jpg

Witsiwit Hiranyawongkul plays Mew, whose career as a pop musician is on the rise when he reunites with his boyhood friend, Tong, and they then have to decide how to handle the feelings that they realize they have for each other.

Witsiwit

witwisit+hiranyawongkul+3.jpg

Witsiwit, known as Pitch, has gone on to a film and music career.

The movie is a bit of a soap opera, involving other plotlines, and very little erotic activity. But it is full of charm, filmed in Bangkok with plenty of local scenes, and was well-received in Thailand despite the homosexual theme.

• Members

So I was able to book a FF ticket to Bangkok earlier by flying out of LA rather than Palm Springs. So now I know I will get some of the cooler weather...I hope.

And yes, MsGuy, I can give you reports if that is what you want!

Hotels I am thinking about include Tawana Bangkok or Dusit Thani, or Sofitel Silom. I also want to go to Chiang Mai but have not been for very long, so advice welcome!

I love Chiang Mai. I usually stay at a gay B and B PJ's Place. It is outside the moats but walking distance to Central Mall and several restaurants as well as close to the gogo bars, gay sauna, etc. The website is: http://www.pjs-place.com/

The owners are great and the 2 story bungalow is fantastic and cheap. They serve a great breakfast and they know all about what is going on in Chiang Mai.

Now Lucky, tell us what you like to do? If culture is your thing, I have little suggestions. If sex is it, ^_^ well, I have a few suggestions!

• Members

This will be my 13th trip to Thailand. It is hard to find a new tourist attraction, but I do love the Chao Praya river, enjoy the klong tour. Spend time in Lumpini Park. Go to the weekend market. And I like to eat at the nice western hotels. Oh, I go shopping too.

In Pattaya I spend the day at the beach and have gone for boat rides. In Chiang Mai, I have taken many tours, both of the handicrafts and the temples.

Indeed I do like to meet the local young men, especially those who need to practice their English, or perfect their massage techniques. If I see someone who has a sweet smile, then I may strike up an acquaintanceship to see if we might be compatible in bed. I like smooth young men who enjoy making an older man happy, but it is not the main reason I go to Thailand. I go for sanuk.

In Bangkok, Hero massage is my favorite place to get an afternoon massage. I also like Adonis and B and N but Hero is filled daily with hot guys.

Babylon Sauna is close to Lumpini and is fun as well with a sauna, dark rooms, pool and real good Thai massage.

Where are you thinking about staying in Pattaya? I love the Marriott and the Holiday Inn. The Marriott is in walking distance to the gay bars. The Holiday Inn is a trek. Also, a great place is Cabbages and Condom on the ocean and hear Buddha Hill and Jomptien. Rabbit Resort is adorable as well. Many friends will rent a condo in View Talay 6 by the night for about 1500 baht and it is adjacent to the new Central Festival mall which is fantastic. They are also supposed to have the new Hilton open when you are there. It is on top of the mall.

In Chiang Mai, I love to take a bike up the mountains and then white water rafting down. It is best during rainy season as the rapids are stronger then. Also, have you been to the hill people village there? It is quite interesting to see and a bit past the mountain top temple.

• Members

One would have thought, reading the media here, that Thai hotels were hurting for business. But the rates are slightly higher than 3 years ago, that likely just being the difference in the dollar.

So, would you stay at cheap(er) hotel that allowed guys, or at a comfy place that didn't? That's my dilemma at the moment, at least in Bangkok. It's a shock to arrive in Bangkok, for one, and then there is the humidity and the jet lag to contend with...and I rarely have overnights anyway...

• Members

Expedia wanted to charge $309 RT from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, which seemed high to me. So OZ suggested I try Air Asia. Wow, they were only $100...until I continued with the booking and found that they charge for luggage and charge for picking a seat. Not charge for the seat, just for picking it. I think. I gave up until I learn more. Plus that $100 didn't include taxes.

• Members

I would never buy tickets from the USA. I would always buy in Thailand from a travel agent. They are cheap and get the best fare on all the airlines. I would wait till you arrive to get the plane fares. I think you will find it easier and cheaper. IMHO

Well, if I can get Air Asia for a total of $150 after all the surcharges, why not? it sure bets the $309 from Expedia on Thai. The only reason not to wait is the two week advance purchase rule. Does that apply in LOS?

Actually, there is another reason to wait. I might meet a Thai guy who wants to go to Laos with me...