OneFinger

Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP)

• Members

Just found this forum and am enjoying the posts. But, I have a question for some of the "pros" here.

I recently started a weight loss program with a nutritionist at my doctor's office. I completed a one week clear liquid diet and am not almost finished by a semi-liquid diet phase. The next phase will be soft foods and they want me to minimize (hopefully eliminate) all carbs and increase my protein in-take. (FYI, I've already had to give up coffee, non-herbal teas, soda, alcohol, starches, etc.)

In this phase they want me to get away from drinking my meals / protein and increase foods with high protein. A co-worker suggested that I start using TVP.

Is this a better source of protein than meats? Any pros or cons on using this?

I plan to ask my nutritionist at my next visit. But would appreciate any of your thoughts.

Guest NeedSome

I used to eat a lot of TVP - I believe that it has about the same amount of protein as meat, but the texture is different. Takes a while to get used to. I found that it was good for things like chili, taco meat, and generally as a substitute for ground meats. No fat at all (I think).

Generally I am not a fan of the no carb approach. I believe there has been some research indicating that it can cause damage to your kidneys and liver, but I'm not sure and am too lazy to look it up. More importantly, I think it's really hard to sustain something a diet like that - are you going to forever give up carbs? I know a lot of people try to kick start a diet like this to get a lot of weight on fast, but what happens when you start eating carbs again? I lost a lot of weight years ago and it was all about exercise.

Best of luck to you whatever you choose though. Let us know how it goes.

Just found this forum and am enjoying the posts. But, I have a question for some of the "pros" here.

I recently started a weight loss program with a nutritionist at my doctor's office. I completed a one week clear liquid diet and am not almost finished by a semi-liquid diet phase. The next phase will be soft foods and they want me to minimize (hopefully eliminate) all carbs and increase my protein in-take. (FYI, I've already had to give up coffee, non-herbal teas, soda, alcohol, starches, etc.)

In this phase they want me to get away from drinking my meals / protein and increase foods with high protein. A co-worker suggested that I start using TVP.

I plan to ask my nutritionist at my next visit. But would appreciate any of your thoughts.

• Members

My understanding is that the quality of protein is just as good as that in meat, and it contains no fat at all. I'm not aware of any cons from the standpoint of nutrition but, unlike meat, it has very little taste of its own. I believe it's typically made from soybeans, sold dry, and reconstituted with broth or water before using it as a cooking ingredient.

I first became aware of it several years ago when hamburger prices went through the roof, and TVP was sold as an extender. Some butchers sold a premixed hamburger/TVP blend which was pretty close to the real thing. The TVP picks up the flavor and juices of whatever it's mixed with. I've heard it makes a pretty good chili.

Don't know if you cook, but there are tons of recipes on the internet. You'll find some here. It doesn't sound like you're giving up meat entirely, so you should be able to mix and match TVP with meat to find a combination you can stay with easily.

Finally, I understand it's a lot cheaper to buy it in bulk and it's a staple in health food stores, as Vegans love it.

Good luck, and bon appétit! smiley_french.gif

• Members

...Generally I am not a fan of the no carb approach... I think it's really hard to sustain something a diet like that - are you going to forever give up carbs? I know a lot of people try to kick start a diet like this to get a lot of weight on fast, but what happens when you start eating carbs again?

Thanks so much for your reply and that of lookin (really appreciate the receipt link.).

So far 4 of us in the office are going through this program - I started in September. There are several weight loss options out there but this is the only one that my insurance covers (I have Blue Cross of CA). They have a very rigid diet, vitamin, and exercise regime for the first 6-9 months. I believe this is a kick start to shock the body's metabalism and get things back on track.

They have set realilstic (and obtainable) goal weights for each of us (over the next 12 months). All of us have at least 100 lbs to lose. The first guy that started doing this is now 6 months into the program and they are having him introduce limited carbs back into his diet. The long-term outcome will be to eat healthier, much smaller portions, and continue a daily exercise program.

I'm just finding it difficult to get all my protein without resorting to the liquid protein drinks. So, I plan to pick up some TVP and started adding that to my meals. So far my body is responding well to this lifestyle change and I've dropped about 4" off the waist line.

• Members

I admire folks who can stick to a diet. I find giving up my comfort foods just about impossible, although I did it once for a good 6 month stretch. I liked being in shape, but the world just makes it so easy to eat junk that sooner or later the world won.

• Members

Thanks so much for your reply and that of lookin (really appreciate the receipt link.).

So far 4 of us in the office are going through this program - I started in September. There are several weight loss options out there but this is the only one that my insurance covers (I have Blue Cross of CA). They have a very rigid diet, vitamin, and exercise regime for the first 6-9 months. I believe this is a kick start to shock the body's metabalism and get things back on track.

They have set realilstic (and obtainable) goal weights for each of us (over the next 12 months). All of us have at least 100 lbs to lose. The first guy that started doing this is now 6 months into the program and they are having him introduce limited carbs back into his diet. The long-term outcome will be to eat healthier, much smaller portions, and continue a daily exercise program.

I'm just finding it difficult to get all my protein without resorting to the liquid protein drinks. So, I plan to pick up some TVP and started adding that to my meals. So far my body is responding well to this lifestyle change and I've dropped about 4" off the waist line.

First of all, good luck on your dieting endeavor. I appreciate how difficult it is. I have had my own numerous experiences over my lifetime. It has proven difficult, frought with many failures and some startling successes though temporary. Some of the failures were due to the diets, some to my failure to keep the longterm commitment required.

My successes have all been with low carb diets. I did the Atkins when it first came out and lost 87 pounds in six months. I was never hungry after the initial break-in period of two weeks going through carb withdrawal. The first two weeks were tough as I felt seriously deprived with my diet. As I mentioned it passed after two weeks. I ate anything I wanted in the meats, fish, cheese regimen. I hadn't discovered tofu yet, TVP. Vegetables were completely eliminated the first two weeks after which I started salads and green vegetables like green beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts etc. It was a high protein, high fat diet. I ate plenty of ham beef chicken turkey pork as desired. Amazingly my cholesterol and triglyerides actually dropped significantly on the diet. Eventually, I allowed more starchy carbs to work back into diet starting a good time later and the weight slowly came back on. :(

I repeated that success and ultimate failure a couple of more times in my life. I learned that for success it takes more than diet, it takes a lifestyle change that requires neverending commitment. For me it was weight training religiously that altered my metabolism. I maintained that religiously until the illness and ultimate passing of my mother which I allowed to put me off my physical training regimen. I never regained it but I did regain weight.

I learned a few lessons along the way. I pass them along for what they are worth.

Your diet will only succeed over the long term if you eat food that you enjoy and in amounts that never leave you feeling hungry or deprived. Pamper yourself and splurge as you feel the urge. Lobster, crab and prime rib as often as you can afford it. Avoid the potato, enjoy the salad and drawn butter.

I find carbs to be addicting. The more you eat the more you want. There have been books written about that effect. I noticed it before those books appeared on the scene. I really believe in it.

It is better to eat five or six smaller meals a day with a solid protein source rather than three or fewer meals a day. It keeps you from turning unneeded calories into fat and keeps your metabolism up. Digesting food increases metabolism.

Undertake a regular exercise program whether weights, running, walking, aerobics, etc. It will increase your metabolism and modify your body weight set point.

Some people do not tolerate the low carb diet well. That seems to vary among individuals and possibly with gender.

The trickest part of the journey is settling into a maintenance level of carbs. There is temptation to just have a few french fries or the occasional baked potato. It is all to easy for those splurges to become more and more frequent. It is a slippery slope.

Some of these observations my apply to your experience. Others may not as there is definitely variations among individuals with the effects of dieting.

Good luck on your endeavor.

• Members

One Finger, I think it's great there are a group of you doing the diet. It's always easier with support of others in losing weight. I have finished 3 months on my diet using the "Rapid Fat Loss" diet by Lyle McDonald. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook I am down over 40 pounds and follow the diet "within" reason, meaning I don't follow it exactly but follow it to where I don't feel deprived and miserable all the time because I am dieting. I have been religious about breakfast and lunch and just don't cheat for those two meals. I think back and look at how many lunches out during the week I used to do and know if I do nothing else but eliminate cheating at these two meals I will lose weight. This diet does require you to do SIMPLE weight lifting, at home or in gym, 2-3 times a week to reduce lean body mass losses and increase the chances that the weight you are losing is fat.

Just hang in there and keep plodding along, and DON'T heap guilt on youself when you have a meltdown and go crazy some night. Just get back to the diet and in 2 days you will be losing again. You have to have some fun or the diet will never work. And as everyone says, it's not a diet, it a change in life habits. I hope THIS time I will learn this lesson when I reach my goals.

• Members

First of all, good luck on your dieting endeavor. I appreciate how difficult it is. I have had my own numerous experiences over my lifetime. It has proven difficult, frought with many failures and some startling successes though temporary. Some of the failures were due to the diets, some to my failure to keep the longterm commitment required.

My successes have all been with low carb diets. I did the Atkins when it first came out and lost 87 pounds in six months. I was never hungry after the initial break-in period of two weeks going through carb withdrawal. The first two weeks were tough as I felt seriously deprived with my diet. As I mentioned it passed after two weeks. I ate anything I wanted in the meats, fish, cheese regimen. I hadn't discovered tofu yet, TVP. Vegetables were completely eliminated the first two weeks after which I started salads and green vegetables like green beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts etc. It was a high protein, high fat diet. I ate plenty of ham beef chicken turkey pork as desired. Amazingly my cholesterol and triglyerides actually dropped significantly on the diet. Eventually, I allowed more starchy carbs to work back into diet starting a good time later and the weight slowly came back on. :(

I repeated that success and ultimate failure a couple of more times in my life. I learned that for success it takes more than diet, it takes a lifestyle change that requires neverending commitment. For me it was weight training religiously that altered my metabolism. I maintained that religiously until the illness and ultimate passing of my mother which I allowed to put me off my physical training regimen. I never regained it but I did regain weight.

I learned a few lessons along the way. I pass them along for what they are worth.

Your diet will only succeed over the long term if you eat food that you enjoy and in amounts that never leave you feeling hungry or deprived. Pamper yourself and splurge as you feel the urge. Lobster, crab and prime rib as often as you can afford it. Avoid the potato, enjoy the salad and drawn butter.

I find carbs to be addicting. The more you eat the more you want. There have been books written about that effect. I noticed it before those books appeared on the scene. I really believe in it.

It is better to eat five or six smaller meals a day with a solid protein source rather than three or fewer meals a day. It keeps you from turning unneeded calories into fat and keeps your metabolism up. Digesting food increases metabolism.

Undertake a regular exercise program whether weights, running, walking, aerobics, etc. It will increase your metabolism and modify your body weight set point.

Some people do not tolerate the low carb diet well. That seems to vary among individuals and possibly with gender.

The trickest part of the journey is settling into a maintenance level of carbs. There is temptation to just have a few french fries or the occasional baked potato. It is all to easy for those splurges to become more and more frequent. It is a slippery slope.

Some of these observations my apply to your experience. Others may not as there is definitely variations among individuals with the effects of dieting.

Good luck on your endeavor.

I wanted to add this to the above comment.

Since those earlier endeavors I have discovered tofu, TVP, in Chinese food. I love it because it is blank canvas that will take on the flavor of whatever it is prepared with, and there are some very tasty chinese dishes. Tofu is a great source of protein and of moderate cost, if you can find tasty ways to prepare it.

There are potential problems with it if eaten to excess. It seems to have some phytonutrients that break down into estrogen or an estrogen-like chemical that behaves the same. I don't pretend to be an authority but google will provide more info on that aspect of soy protein.

• Members

...And as everyone says, it's not a diet, it a change in life habits.

Thanks to both you and TY for your wonderful responses. Great info and much appreciated.

But, perhaps, you've encapsulated my thoughts when you say it is not a diet. I'm really beginning to hate that word because I've tried and failed at many different diets.

This time, however, is different because it is a lifestyle change. It's not just changing my eating habits but much more with the exercise program, hydration, and other modifications.

And, it's all becoming an integrated part of my lifestyle. Today, for example, I went to an all day seminar. Breakfast was the usual buffet with coffee, hash brown potatoes, eggs, pancakes, etc. But, I was just fine with my small scoop of scrambled eggs. When lunch rolled around it was a full turkey dinner. I was able to eat a small portion of the meat and vegetables and didn't touch the stuffing, potatoes, bread, or desert.

During the breaks, unfortunately, the only choices were soda, cookies, pastries, etc. Would really have appreciated a raw veggy tray or even a fresh fruit choice. So, without an alternative, I did without. If nothing else, today really hammered home to me some of the common eating habits that are really not that healthy.

So, today, I made it through a public event and was still able to maintain the standards of my current program. Makes me feel like there is hope.

FYI, the 3 of us at work started comparing notes. So far our combined weight loss is equivalent to the total weight of a newborn giraffe, a bale of hale, and a microwave oven. My personal goal is to lose an elephant's penis before Christmas (60 lbs).

• Members

One Finger......one thing I read about on the Rapid Fat Loss message board is people talked about some loss of appetite after being on the program for a while. I thought yeh right, never going to happen. However about after week 3 it happened, I don't think about food all the time and some meals are actually a challange to eat all the protein. I have been in Florida for the past week and heading home today, wasn't very good while I was here and took the week off from the gym. When I get home and step on the scale will tell the tale, but I know tomorrow morning I will be back on the program once again.