TotallyOz

A Dignified Death

A friend of mine who is about 25 is in a hospital in Thailand and his doctors have given him zero chance of recovery. I still have hope but that is my dreams and wants and perhaps not reality. He has a virus in his brain and it is advanced and there are so many issues that operation will not be successful. They are waiting for his parents which no one can find. They have him tied to his bed with hands and legs strapped. It is perhaps the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life. I saw him 2 days ago and have had nightmares every night since. I can't get the picture of this beautiful lad in diapers with no one taking care of him.

It made me do a great deal of soul searching this week. If there was anything I could do for this guy, I would but my hands are also tied.

I hope that I am allowed to die in peace and go out easy. I have made clear to my family that I am never to be kept alive like that or if I can't take care of myself. Who knows if they will abide by my wishes are not. I hope so.

• Members

It is never easy, is it? Some might just be easier than others. There is always someone, if not you yourself, who is unwilling for you to go "at this time". Please be nice to those "others".

No one wants to see themself or others suffer but until we are there, how do we know what is going on? I have wondered more than once when observing dementia patients or those with Alzheimer's whether we know what their quality of life really might be. If they smile are they recounting experiences we know nothing of? If they eat without being force fed, are they happy just having that small, simple pleasure? I certainly don't know.

As my mother has said, when we go, I hope we all go together and it is quick. I sort of understand what she means but as my sister and I are many years younger, I have wondered what she is wishing for us. ^_^ I am all but sure she means for her not to suffer and us not to either, whether grieving or whatever. Life is NOT that simple or so it seems to me.

Regardless, I only hope for the best and simplest and quickest outcome that each and every one of us might desire.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

I thing the general world view (with a few exceptions) is barbaric when it comes to assisted suicide.

If a dog is suffering we put it out of its misery. Are humans not entitled to the same compassion & dignity?