TampaYankee

'I Used To Know A Different John McCain'

• Members

Dreams, One Dead

Posted by Joe Klein Saturday, December 18, 2010 at 8:13 pm

The Senate today passed the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," which is a good thing. It did not pass the "Dream Act," which is a cold, cold abomination. There is a relationship between the two. Repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" will allow homosexuals--who have fought honorably in every one of America's wars--to serve openly. Blocking the "Dream Act" means that young immigrants, who were brought here illegally by their parents, will not be able to gain citizenship by completing college or by serving in the military.

The repeal of "don't ask" will get most of the attention in the media--as it should, another step toward the perfection of our democracy. But let us focus for a moment on the "Dream Act," a vote of staggering cynicism and ugliness on the part of most Republicans and five morally-deficient Democrats. Two of the original sponsors, John McCain and Orrin Hatch, voted against the bill...and one wonders why, especially in McCain's case, given the fact that he recently won reelection and doesn't have to pretend to be a troglodyte anymore. McCain has professed himself all misty and honored in the past when he attended ceremonies in which green-card holders and other non-citizens achieved citizenship through military service. But, because of the anti-immigrant mania, this flagrantly cynical and cowardly politician, would deny similar status to young people who--through no fault of their own--were brought to this country as children, grew up as Americans and love the country enough to serve it. If the Dream Act were passed, we would have gained an estimated 65,000 valuable, patriotic and productive citizens--college graduates, military service-members--each year. We could use them. (More on Time.com: See a brief history of gays in the military)

McCain distinguished himself doubly this weekend, opposing the Dream Act and leading the opposition to "Don't Ask," despite the very public positions of his wife and daughter on the other side of the issue. I used to know a different John McCain, the guy who proposed comprehensive immigration reform with Ted Kennedy, the guy--a conservative, to be sure, but an honorable one--who refused to indulge in the hateful strictures of his party's extremists. His public fall has been spectacular, a consequence of politics--he "needed" to be reelected--and personal pique. He's a bitter man now, who can barely tolerate the fact that he lost to Barack Obama. But he lost for an obvious reason: his campaign proved him to be puerile and feckless, a politician who panicked when the heat was on during the financial collapse, a trigger-happy gambler who chose an incompetent for his vice president. He has made quite a show ever since of demonstrating his petulance and lack of grace.

What a guy.

See the original article and read more at:http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/12/18/two-dreams-one-dead/?xid=rss-politics-huffpo

• Members

IMO Joe Klein is not the best, most insightful political reporter/ analyst, nor is he the worst.

I used to be an enthusiastic supporter of John McCain, a true American Statesman, a fiscal conservative with an open mind on social issues, I thought. I voted for him in his primary contest against George Bush, my last vote for a Republican, thanks to Karl Rove in South Carolina and succeeding gaffes and incompetencies of G.W. and the radicalization and mendacity of new millineum GOP.

That is what I thought of John McCain in 2000. However, Joe Klein is right on spot in his analysis of John McClain in the new millineum. McCain in his fall from grace proved that when the going got tough the first thing jettisoned was his principles. Not exactly the hallmark of a Statesman that I had mistakenly attributed to him. Neither of us is perfect it seems.

McCain takes pride in fighting for his country as a young serviceman POW, deservedly so. What is suprising is how in his final years he has repeatedly put his own interests above those of that very same country and unabashedly so.

No, Joe Klein is not the worst political reporter/analyst.

• Members

I have never been able to figure John McCain out. He is a war hero. He is like any politician in that he will change his position to suit whatever. But, he is no Goldwater (for sure).

Won't we all have a little dementia if we just live long enough? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I'm right there with you TY. There was a time I thought a McCain/Powell ticket in 2008 would be unbeatable, and as big a bed wetting liberal as I am that I'd find it difficult not to vote for it (esp. against my perception of Hillary at the time).

But then, after having denounced him sometime around 2000, McCain got up on a stage with Jerry Falwell at his sham university and embraced him. Pretty soon McCain was waffling or outright reversing himself on every maverick or straight-talking position he'd ever had. Pandering to the assholes he'd rightly showed contempt for before--but they never forgot or came around, so it was all for not. But thanks for bringing us Sarah Palin, you senile old coot!

I think what Rove did to him in 2000 scarred him far more than those years as a prisoner of war.

It's kind of funny when you think about it that two war heroes have run, in a time of war, and both lost pretty easily. I guess the lesson in all this is that rich chicks dig soldiers!

Guest epigonos

I really don't understand what you guys don't understand. John McCain is a politician Keep in mind the English language in its ultimate wisdom started both the words politician and prostitute with the same letter. The MAJOR goal of all successful politicians is to get elected and re-elected. Thus McCain, like 90% of all politicians, will shift his stands to meet those of the electorate to which he is answerable. “Moderate” Republicans in states like Arizona and Utah faced major challenges from the extreme right wing of the Republican Party in the recent primaries and conventions. McCain was smart enough to move right and thus avoid a primary loss. Bob Bennett in Utah was not so smart or so lucky. His votes on certain issues came home to haunt him in the Utah Republican Convention and he was defeated by a Tea Party darling. If per chance McCain decides to stand for re-election in six years and if per chance the Arizona electorate should,in the mean time, become pro same sex marriage, pro-gun control, pro-choice, etc., etc., believe me Arizona Senator John McCain will see the light and will support all of these issues. John McCain like all successful politicians is a WHORE!!!!! Now do you understand ?????

He may be a politician, but not a very good one. I think the good politicians know how to change their mind gracefully and not appear to be "trending" to support a base. But McCain is very obvious and to me that makes him a poor leader and a poor politician. Thank god we don't have as a president now.

• Members

Not to "pick" on you EXPAT but when you describe pols as being "good" at changing their minds you make me shudder at why we allow pols to be whoever they are. In other words, I would much prefer pols to take a position and then live or die by it, not blow with the wind. I know it isn't that simple but we have to start somewhere.

Best regards,

RA1

I'd like to think that a really good politician can have his mind changed. I think that is happening with gay rights and gay marriage for example. Even Obama said recently that he is struggling and evolving on his opinion about gay marriage. Now I really think he supports it but can't say it publicly for political reasons. But he is showing diligence by stating that his views are evolving. I think that shows maturity versus just sticking with an opinion come hell or high water no matter what. Now I'm sure there are some opinions that people should stick too, but I believe the very secure and mature politicians can successfully evolve in their thinking which would result in changing their minds over time.

• Members

My point was did the pol really have an opinion in the first place or was he or she just following the latest opinion polls? I think it easy to make a case either way.

Best regards,

RA1