RA1

The Hunt for Red October

• Members

I watched this movie (again) last night and (again) was amused by the self description of the National Security Advisor to the president. "I am a politician, so when I am not kissing babies, I am stealing their lollipops. The point is I like to keep my options open."

I realize this is not strictly a political comment but the quote does talk about politicians.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I don't recall ever seeing a movie of a book that I had read and thought to be good or better being nearly as good as the book. My conversion via imagination of what I thought the author meant seems nearly perfect (for me) whereas the director of a movie is "showing" his interpretation or at least not necessarily mine. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

The movie has plenty of flaws. I just liked the line.

Guest zipperzone

I don't recall ever seeing a movie of a book that I had read and thought to be good or better being nearly as good as the book.

I don't think I agree with this. Off hand I can think of one example that I thought was much better than the book. As a Capote fan I thought Breakfast At Tiffanys was incredible. The movie :question: Twice as good. So sad that the three main stars are no longer with us.

• Members

I don't think I said this works for everybody, just me. Also, I certainly am not about to claim that various characterazations by certain actors were not superior in and of themselves. However, movies have limitations and my imagination doesn't seem to have very many. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I don't recall ever seeing a movie of a book that I had read and thought to be good or better being nearly as good as the book. My conversion via imagination of what I thought the author meant seems nearly perfect (for me) whereas the director of a movie is "showing" his interpretation or at least not necessarily mine. ^_^

The imagaination of the mind is so much more flexible and expansive in scope than mere bricks and mortar can be fashioned into. Making a movie from a great book is a daunting task that rarely hits the original mark. That does not mean that good or great movie cannot be made but, more often than not, that movie is a work inspired by the book and not the translation of the book itself. Those translation efforts are almost always destined to fall short for the reason above. The few exceptions prove the rule.

• Members

A good movie is a good movie and a good book is a good book. Everyone has to choose for themselves which they prefer.

Thanks.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Did he even write his latest novel?

That's the question. Supposedly, but there may be debate.

Dead or Alive just had nothing going for it. Excitement of Rainbow Six and Clark was wound down, the wonder of Ryan as president is in the past, Jack Jr. seems a dud and too many conservative overtones for my tastes.

The biggest disappointment for me though were the technical details. Long supposed to be on of Clancy's best attributes, I found many in my area of expertise laughably wrong. Then there's a whole lot of gratuitous brand names that made me wonder about product placement. Really makes me wonder how accurate his other details are.