JKane

Good new TV so far this week...

• Members

I used to really like about half of Southland and hate the other half. Loved the patrol officers and Lydia (young black detective) but couldn't stand most of the other detective stories. Deep into lives I didn't give a shit about to tell yet again the dime-a-dozen(-hundred) story of a marriage on the rocks because the idiot wife married a cop yet can't stand being married to a cop...

Luckily they killed off an annoying detective or two and divorced the cunt-wife (hope we never have to see her again, she played annoying way too well), and the other stories have gained some great depth and texture.

And the stuff about LA, hearing two officers joke about different areas of the city, seeing places I know well... I'm starting to love this show, actually.

Hopefully they don't get back into the stupid little petty dramas again. And I like what they've done with Lucy Liu, the video that made her 'famous' isn't at all what I expected, fucking brutal!

Also liked Justified a lot. The way the episode ended, realizing Raylan had kinda given him exactly what he'd asked for was awesome.

It's rare I look forward to non-UK TV this much!

I agree. "Southland" on TNT is must-watch TV. I think the writing is excellent. And the fact that they have a closeted gay police officer makes that character very interesting. I really have nearly nothing to watch on Tuesday night anyway except Glee so this is a welcome addition to Tuesday at 10PM.

• Members

Exactly, I was going to go back and edit in a reference to that. His character is fucking perfect, his problems, and his interactions with Liu in this first episode are damn near priceless--like when he thinks she's alluding to him being gay.

But the way it's also not a main storyline is great too. It's understated, in the background, like in The Wire when you just happen to see the captain (or was he deputy chief?) in a gay bar and the understated lesbian relationship, NOT like the Shield where it became this huge story arc that got more and more annoying.

I liked The Shield, but don't really miss it... it was supposedly LA (Rampart pretty much exactly, it turned out!) but never actually felt like LA at all. I think I only really miss the Dutch and Claudette stuff. Wish those actors would get more than bit parts... she's good on Warehouse 13, but that's pretty piss-ant.

It's cool to keep seeing people from Band of Brothers pop up in great stuff, this patrol sergeant in Southland, the new big bad on Justified, and of course the lead on Homeland.

• Members

Just remembered, wasn't it NBC that originally had this show? Thank got TNT had the balls to pick it up and do it right! Makes sense, took them a season to get rid of all the stupid lowest-common-denominator stuff the non-creative execs had them put in to get greenlit on the network.

Pretty damn ironic that crap is why it damn near didn't survive. Hope to hell it's amazingly successful now without it and somebody somewhere in Hollywood leadership actually realizes what that means about the usefulness of their boardrooms full of fucking MBAs.

• Members

I'm really loving Justified. Maggie was a great character last season. I also really like Raylans boss at the Marshalls office.

I started watching Southland when it started, but over time as it got bounced around I lost interest. Based on your recommendations I'll start catching up on past seasons and see if I can get hooked again.

• Members

I used to really like about half of Southland and hate the other half. Loved the patrol officers and Lydia (young black detective) but couldn't stand most of the other detective stories. Deep into lives I didn't give a shit about to tell yet again the dime-a-dozen(-hundred) story of a marriage on the rocks because the idiot wife married a cop yet can't stand being married to a cop...

Luckily they killed off an annoying detective or two and divorced the cunt-wife (hope we never have to see her again, she played annoying way too well), and the other stories have gained some great depth and texture.

And the stuff about LA, hearing two officers joke about different areas of the city, seeing places I know well... I'm starting to love this show, actually.

Hopefully they don't get back into the stupid little petty dramas again. And I like what they've done with Lucy Liu, the video that made her 'famous' isn't at all what I expected, fucking brutal!

Also liked Justified a lot. The way the episode ended, realizing Raylan had kinda given him exactly what he'd asked for was awesome.

It's rare I look forward to non-UK TV this much!

Re: Southland, I couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup: I only wish they'd do nine episodes at a time instead of six. By the time you find it and get settled in it's over. :(

Guest EXPAT

TNT rocks! Why can't other (non-premium) networks be that good?

And they are bringing back Dallas this summer starting June 15. I can't wait for that. I loved that show in the 70's and 80's.