Gaybutton

Tai Boyz Boyz is Back

Last night I went to the new Tai Boyz Boyz bar, in Pattayaland Soi 1. Those who have been coming to Pattaya long enough probably remember the old Tai Boyz Boyz bar on the same soi. Louis, the Thai owner, eventually closed that bar and opened a new bar directly across the street in the location of a bar called City Boys. He changed the name of the bar to Gacuya.

Some time ago, Louis closed Gacuya. Now he has opened a brand new bar and the name is back to Tai Boyz Boyz.

I have always really like Louis. He's a very nice guy and he treats the boys working for him quite well. The boys who work for him always seem to like him and consider him to be very "jai dee."

I'm really glad to see Louis making a comeback. I asked him what happened to Gacuya and why he decided to open a new bar for a third time. He said he just couldn't make it at Gacuya because the building owner was charging him 140,000 baht per month rent. Between that, along with all the other expenses of running a bar and salaries for the boys, combined with the diminishing numbers of customers in the past few years, he simply was unable to continue. He was able to make a deal at his new location and the rent is 60,000 baht per month. He said at that price, he thinks he can make a go of it again.

I really like the bar. The seating is comfortable, the mama-sans and waiters are not pushy, the bathroom is clean, there are plenty of boys to suit most tastes (but sorry, muscle-boy lovers, there were none), and all the boys appeared to be at least 18 years old.

I was also grateful that the music volume was at an acceptable level. I was there with a friend and we easily conversed without having to shout. We didn't even have to raise our voices at all in order to be heard. That alone is going to make Tai Boyz Boyz one of my 'first choice' bars.

The prices are on par with most of the Pattayaland bars. Drinks are 150 baht and the "off" fee is 300 baht.

Give Tai Boyz Boyz a try. I think many people are going to really like it and will become regulars there.

Last night I went to the new Tai Boyz Boyz bar, in Pattayaland Soi 1. Those who have been coming to Pattaya long enough probably remember the old Tai Boyz Boyz bar on the same soi. Louis, the Thai owner, eventually closed that bar and opened a new bar directly across the street in the location of a bar called City Boys. He changed the name of the bar to Gacuya.

Some time ago, Louis closed Gacuya. Now he has opened a brand new bar and the name is back to Tai Boyz Boyz.

I have always really like Louis. He's a very nice guy and he treats the boys working for him quite well. The boys who work for him always seem to like him and consider him to be very "jai dee."

I'm really glad to see Louis making a comeback. I asked him what happened to Gacuya and why he decided to open a new bar for a third time. He said he just couldn't make it at Gacuya because the building owner was charging him 140,000 baht per month rent. Between that, along with all the other expenses of running a bar and salaries for the boys, combined with the diminishing numbers of customers in the past few years, he simply was unable to continue. He was able to make a deal at his new location and the rent is 60,000 baht per month. He said at that price, he thinks he can make a go of it again.

I really like the bar. The seating is comfortable, the mama-sans and waiters are not pushy, the bathroom is clean, there are plenty of boys to suit most tastes (but sorry, muscle-boy lovers, there were none), and all the boys appeared to be at least 18 years old.

I was also grateful that the music volume was at an acceptable level. I was there with a friend and we easily conversed without having to shout. We didn't even have to raise our voices at all in order to be heard. That alone is going to make Tai Boyz Boyz one of my 'first choice' bars.

The prices are on par with most of the Pattayaland bars. Drinks are 150 baht and the "off" fee is 300 baht.

Give Tai Boyz Boyz a try. I think many people are going to really like it and will become regulars there.

GB, we will have to start calling you "LMTU2". Thanks for the bar updates. I was in Pattaya last July and the drinks (non-alcoholic) were 110-120 for many of the BT area bars. Has there been an over-all price increase (again)?

Guest buaseng

Agree with all you have said about Louis and have been a patron of his (in many ways !) for a lot of years. Was in his new bar three nights ago and have to disagree about the music level which was outrageously loud. I mentioned it to Louis and he got the DJ to turn it down. Unfortunately the present DJ is well known for tweaking the muisic level up to what he thinks is an acceptable standard - I believe he learned his trade as a disco DJ :D . I told Louis he will drive away customers (as he did when he had City Boys) if he allows the music to be played too loud.

Nothwithstanding that I for one wish him good luck. He will need it in what seems to be an increasingly competative business for a decreasing client base.

I told Louis he will drive away customers (as he did when he had City Boys) if he allows the music to be played too loud.

Make sure to keep telling him that. So will I. I guess I was in there either before the DJ tweaked the volume or after Louis made him turn it down.

I would love for someone to explain why so many bars do everything they can to keep the music volume as loud as possible when they have to know that most of their customers don't like it and it actually drives customers away, as you say. That's true. That's one reason why if you're looking for me, then don't bother looking in a disco or karaoke. Every one of them have the volume so loud that my ears literally throb for at least an hour after leaving. It amazes me that half of Thailand isn't deaf . . . yet. You won't find me in any of those places, that's for sure.

The law says the music volume can't be above 90 decibels. Even His Majesty, the King, about a year or so ago, stated that music volume in these places shouldn't be so loud.

So, why do they do it? Is there anyone, other than the boys (and I'm not so sure about all of them), who actually likes the volume so loud?

This is one that's already on my "I don't get it" list and it's been on my list for a very long time.

I hope you'll spare me that.

Yes, prices in Pattayaland seem to have adopted a standard of 150 baht per drink, both alcoholic and non alcoholic, and 300 baht per "off" in most bars.

Wow! That's a 25% and quite frankly I find it hard to justify. Hopefully Sunee and JomTien have not followed suit. When I ask why in a few weeks I know I will get the standard reply, "cheap for you!". As an American dealing with the weak dollar my bar hopping activities might curtailed.

I have quite a few things I'd like to say about Louis... But I guess they would never see the light of day if i wrote them...

Having been involved with a guy who worked in one of his bars before - I would not be so quick to heap praise upon this individual

Guest pete1969
Wow! That's a 25% and quite frankly I find it hard to justify. Hopefully Sunee and JomTien have not followed suit. When I ask why in a few weeks I know I will get the standard reply, "cheap for you!". As an American dealing with the weak dollar my bar hopping activities might curtailed.

Actually, 150 baht is in no way "cheap for you." This equals $4.50 in USD which is a high price for a short watered-down drink or even a beer in most neighborhood American bars. I understand one gets a show with their drink in LOS, and I don't mind paying the price. However, at some point, bar owners need to realize that drink prices that are competitive with drink prices in the West won't build their clientle. IMO, the increase in drink prices and off fees is one of the bigger reasons tourism is down in Pattaya.

BTW, as far as I know, 100 baht is still the going rate for most drinks in the Phuket gay bars.

Pete

Guest luvthai

The huge increase on liquor tax by the government earlier this year forced the drink prices up. I do not consider 150 baht high as one is also paying for the ambiance and entertainment a bar offers. The bar usually has high overhead and needs the higher price to be ale to stay in business. Without this we would see the bars fade away. The trick is to find a bar you enjoy and support it.

I think the prices are high too, but so are gasoline prices. It's either pay the price or stop driving your car. In the bars, it's either pay the price or do without the bars. Most Sunee Plaza bars are still less expensive than the Pattayaland bars, but not by much.

I don't think it helps very much to factor in the exchange rates when considering how much bars should charge. If the exchange rate was still at 45 baht to the US dollar, as it was for so many years, then there probably wouldn't be so many complaints. The bars can't set their prices according to exchange rates. They have to set their prices according to domestic costs.

For many years the drink prices at most bars was about 100 baht and "off" fees were 200 baht. Inflation affects Thailand too, you know. Prices everywhere have increased. A month from now the baht bus prices are going up too. Restaurants and hotels are raising their prices. Just about everything in Thailand is going through inflation. I don't see how the bars have any choice if they are to survive.

While I don't enjoy paying the higher prices, I'd rather pay it and have the bars than end up with hardly any bars or even no bars at all. That's not nonsense. It really could happen. There are a lot fewer bars now than there were six or seven years ago, and I'm seeing more closings than openings.

I was trying to understand the rationale of raising prices 25% other than high-season is approaching so let's gouge the tourist mentality. Higher gas prices are not a factor in this increase. Does anybody really believe rents have increased that much or salaries have been raised so drink prices must rise to cover these costs? I drink diet-Cokes which cost less than 15 baht at 7-11 so I see a 10-fold mark-up a little steep.

Does anybody really believe rents have increased that much or salaries have been raised so drink prices must rise to cover these costs?

Yes, I really do believe that. It's not just rents and salaries that constitute the cost of running a bar. The bars are there to provide us with what we go to them to seek. The last time I checked, businesses are out there to make a profit, not to be satisfied with breaking even or taking a loss.

If you don't believe it, sit down with a bar owner some time and discuss what it costs to run the bar, and then compare that to the amount the bar grosses each month. When you see how much net is left over, you may not be so upset about the current prices.

Another thing you can believe: If the bars were reaping in huge profits, then why have so many failed and gone out of business? Do you really believe if they were raking in the money they would have closed up shop? Even now that we're getting into high season, many of the bars are still nearly empty. It's a little difficult to maintain a bar business when you're only selling a dozen drinks or so per night, if you're even selling that many.

I'm just grateful they haven't yet had to raise the prices any higher than they are now.

Just as an example, if a person goes to three average Pattayaland bars in a night and buys one drink in each of them, he just spent 450 baht, the current equivalent of US $13. Maybe in that third bar he calls a boy over and buys a drink for him. Another 150 baht. Now your evening has cost you about US $17.50. Maybe he takes the boy "off" for 300 baht. Now he's spent 900 baht, the equivalent of about US $27. He takes the boy back to his room for sex and tips him 1000 baht. Now the total he just spent for an evening out in the go-go bars, drinks, and even sex with a boy of his own choosing is roughly US $56. Most people will probably end up actually spending much less than that, but never mind. Does that really seem like an outrageous amount to you for a night of drinks, go-go boys, and sex?

If it does, then let's go back a few years when drinks cost 100 baht and the "off" fee was 200 baht. That same evening out would have cost, at current exchange rates, 500 baht less, taking into consideration the three drinks, the drink for the boy, and the "off" fee. It's a difference of about US $12.

A few years ago, that night out would have cost US $44. Now it costs US $56, and that's in most Pattayaland bars, and that's if you're spending the max and tipping the max. Most people will actually spend far less. The drink prices and "off" fees in most Sunee Plaza bars are much less.

Yes, all your numbers make sense. I always talk to the boys/waiters/mamasans and next visit I'll buy them their down-sized 150 baht Coke and toast and celebrate their salary increase. My recollection is waiters got around 3000-4000 so the new range would be about 4000-5000 baht. (Why do I think I'll get a blank stare and he'll probably think I'm another ting-tong falang.)

next visit I'll buy them their down-sized 150 baht Coke and toast and celebrate their salary increase.

All things considered, Thailand is still quite inexpensive compared to other places to go for a holiday. It's just that as a result of inflation within Thailand and the miserable current exchange rates, it's not as inexpensive as it was. Personally I think it's still quite a bargain considering a night out in Pattaya, including sex, costs roughly the same as dinner and a movie in the USA. I think I'll stay here . . .

All things considered, Thailand is still quite inexpensive compared to other places to go for a holiday. It's just that as a result of inflation within Thailand and the miserable current exchange rates, it's not as inexpensive as it was. Personally I think it's still quite a bargain considering a night out in Pattaya, including sex, costs roughly the same as dinner and a movie in the USA. I think I'll stay here . . .

Very true, Thailand is still a good deal. I support justifiable cost of living increases but I think 25% is over the top and just an attempt to gouge tourists for the high season. These bar owners are on the same wavelength as the Thailand Hotel Association (see Pattaya Mail article):

Hotel room rates to rise as Pattaya goes for upper end of tourism market

Hotel rooms in Pattaya are going to become more expensive next year following a decision by the Thai Hotel Association - Eastern Chapter (THA-EC) to increase room rates, after discovering that prices were lagging behind those of competing Asian destinations.

Committee members and members of the association were asked for cooperation in adjusting their rates during a meeting at the Dusit Resort on November 1, when the strategy for next year was discussed and plans drawn up for attending ITB in Berlin in February.

ITB is one of the biggest international events in the tourism industry calendar, and the Eastern THA will conduct a major promotional campaign there.

Association chairman Chatchawan Supachayanont said that the campaign should focus on the quality end of the tourism market to expand Pattaya’s base in that sector.

Chonburi Administrative Organization and Pattaya City have been asked for a support budget of 6 million baht for ITB, and to date 3 million baht has been raised.

The THA-EC has asked members attending ITB to design their stands at the exhibition to reflect the upmarket approach that is being adopted.

Competition from other Asian destinations is, however, going to be intense, and Chatchawan said that one problem for Pattaya City is the standard hotel rate. Hotel owners and operators have kept their rates deliberately low to attract large numbers of visitors, and as a result Pattaya lags behind in terms of both revenue and image.

This is particularly the case when you compare the hotel room rates to nearby competing countries such as Malaysia and Vietnam, he said.

“There is worry about sharing the tourism market with Vietnam, because the country is increasing its investments in tourism, and this may affect tourism in Pattaya,” said Chatchawan. He added that Pattaya was still expected to stay ahead because of its large number of attractions and its well-developed facilities, but in terms of development strategy there had to be a focus on the future.

Chatchawan told association members that Pattaya City has provided a 20 million baht budget for other marketing promotions in 2008, including advertising and providing information for the markets inland and abroad.

Of this, 12 million baht will be used for overseas promotions, focusing on Russia, the Middle East, India and Japan. The remaining 8 million baht would be used for domestic promotions and an advertising company will be appointed to devise a promotional campaign.

http://www.pattayamail.com/745/news.shtml#hd3