MrBill

Marina Inn Recommendation

Greetings. I will be visiting Pattaya again 29 December - 6 Jan. In the past I have always stayed at Mike Hotel (above the Mike Department Store and connected to Mike Massage and Mike Pool Hall) on 2nd Rd. A Gay Travel Agent from California recommended it and I have always been pretty happy. A superior room with King bed is 1200 bht/night. I checked out a few web sites for guest houses and other area hotels. The Marina Hotel web talks about all renovated rooms. A similar room to Mike is only 900 bht. Some reviews of Marina that I have seen do not give it great marks for comfort etc, but these reviews have generally been from 2004-2005. Anyone experienced it lately? Are the rooms really renovated and is the hotel as good an option as their web suggests? Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Kop khun maak!

Khun Bill from America

If you mean the Marina Inn Plaza, I've never seen any of the rooms and I don't know anyone who has actually stayed there, but I can tell you that at least their lobby is very nice. Also, Sammy's, Eric's new restaurant, is located on the ground floor and he's about to start offering breakfast on his menu. One plus is that if you want to be close to Sunee Plaza, you don't get any closer than that.

Other choices in the same area include the Don Plaza Hotel, which is less than a year old and relatively high end and located right in the middle of Sunee Plaza. I believe their rate is about 2500 baht per night.

There is also Howard's, located on Soi V.C, a very short walk from Sunee Plaza. I do know several people who have stayed at Howard's, some of whom are independently wealthy, and they prefer it to anywhere else in Pattaya. Howard's is what, about 600 or 700 baht per night? I forgot their price, but it's in that range. I don't have any idea what the rates are at the Marina Inn Plaza. I've never asked.

Guest luvthai

I have stayed at the Marina several times and have liked it. It is not a fancy hotel but I think it is comparable to the Mike Hotel (tho Sam wouldn't agree). The problem seems to be trying to book rooms over the web as the rates seem to change on whim. I was quoted 1500 a nite for a king bed and if I booked a month it would be 1200 a night. Neither of these rates were published. It is best to just book in for a nite and then talk eye to eye with them. The 1200 a nite is still high I feel tho for this place. Most rooms just have a double bed and are on the smaller side. Again it is best to stay one night check the room and rates out in person then.

I have stayed at the Marina several times and have liked it. It is not a fancy hotel but I think it is comparable to the Mike Hotel (tho Sam wouldn't agree).

Ah Mr. Sam ... I'm sure he wouldn't agee :) The rate posted on Marina Plaza web is 900 bht compared to 1200 for Mike for Superior. Mike wants 1600 for Suite room. It is convenient to Boyztown but not sure it is worth 1600 bht (discount) if things are as slow as people say.

Thanks for the feedback

Bill