Lucky

Petraeus Resigns- Cites Affair

Guest hitoallusa

If one more married guy in the military cheat again I will consider living alone without a husband and use it as a justified excuse for being single!

It's late, I'm tired. So why did I have to see this? Pandora's box is becoming Petraeus' box:

Top commander linked to Petraeus scandal...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/us/top-us-commander-in-afghanistan-is-linked-to-petraeus-scandal.html?hp&_r=0

• Members

Soon I will be giving this topic a rest, but I still want to express why I am so disappointed in Petraeus. We grow up thinking that there are people who are wise, capable, and can lead us in a world of chaos.

Not long after we lose faith in Santa Claus, we learn that our parents are not the strong folks we always thought they were. They are fallible. Then we go to college and learn that teachers aren't so smart either. Then we see a shrink and learn that he has no better insights on life that I do. The same for religious leaders. They are either liars or perverts, it turns out.

We think we have strong, capable men (and women) in government. But, the more we get to know them, the more we learn of their vulnerabilities.

I want to believe that soldiers have it together, make wise choices to protect us, and only wage fair wars. Shoot that one down. We long since have learned that our presidents are only too human.

So, we are left to guide ourselves, sometimes with the love and support of families and friends, venturing into the chaotic world a step at a time. I do still believe that there is a collective body of wisdom, gathered over the ages, that offers guidance on our path. Certain behaviors have been known to be good, others bad. If we try to follow the good, we may come through okay. But, life is random, and we are fallible too. So, we do the best we can. I agree that we shouldn't care whether Petraeus puts his dick, but unfortunately he picked the wrong woman, and it led to his downfall. That's it- blame the woman!

• Members

I just didn't really care about this topic, powerful men behaving poorly is to be expected... but this quick summary of the details, the triangle, and the woman in the center of it (NOT the biographer!) piqued my interest a bit. In a supermarket tabloid kind of way... though the mention of classified docs in the biographer's hands elevates the seriousness, for me.

I also don't really care about it either. Men have affairs. Who cares. Also we are all jumping to conclusions before the full investigation is done. I think the obsession is that Americans love to hear about affairs because it's something everyone can identify with and it's like a reality show that too many people are obsessed with as well.

I'd rather wait before I say I'm disappointed when I don't know the entire story. And if the story is that he had an affair, I won't care in the least.