Maple

Another Massive Raid in Sunee Plaza

About 11 p.m. on 12 February, a huge raid was conducted in Sunee Plaza by uniformed Banglamung Police accompanied by personnel in camouflague military uniforms. Police went door to door requiring that all staff members of each bar surrender their ID card. Bar staff were then herded off to the soi in front of the Sunee Plaza bar. Police used the picnic tables on the terrace of the Don Plaza Hotel to process the bar boys. Urine samples were collected in the Corner Bar's bathroom and tested on the spot. There were dozens of law enforcement officials who tested about 200 bar employees. One Thai man in his mid-20s was frog-marched by police to the processing station.

All Thais were tested, including those sitting as customers in bars accompanied by a Farang. Those who tested negative received what looked like a "P" on their right hand from a magic marker and released. No Farangs were tested.

Several TV cameras were present. Five officials lined up with the crowd of bar boys behind them to hold an impromtu news conference. The official who was the chief spokesman even went so far as to hold the microphone provided by BTV.

An estimated 30-40 people were loaded into police trucks and presumably hauled off to the police station.

Similar raids were conducted in Sunee Plaza on 9 May and 17 August, 2007.

Thank you for that report, Maple. I was in Sunee Plaza last night for about an hour. I went home about 10:00 PM, so I missed the raid. Did they take the under-age boys away too or were drugs their sole interest?

Does anyone know if the Pattayaland bars were also raided? If not, once again they always seem to go after only Sunee Plaza. I wonder why.

Again, I only visited two bars. I did not observe anyone smoking.

I was also going to visit the Siam Boys bar on Soi Day-Night, but it appeared to be closed. Nobody was there, inside or outside. I don't know what the story is with that bar yet.

Guest Butterflyboy
I was also going to visit the Siam Boys bar on Soi Day-Night, but it appeared to be closed. Nobody was there, inside or outside. I don't know what the story is with that bar yet.

Siam Bar has closed. The owner has return to the UK and sold the Bar to the straight Bar next door, they intend to double their size.

Update from Pattaya City News, 13 February 2008

"District Officials raid bars in Soi Sunee Plaza, South Pattaya.

We joined Khun Mongkol, the Chief of Banglamung District who was joined by Police and licensing officials as they conducted a raid of Bars in Soi Sunee Plaza in South Pattaya, an area notorious for under age bar employees and drug activity. During the operation, 100 bar employees were checked for the presence of narcotics in their systems. 20 people failed the test and were subsequently arrested. No checks were made on licenses on this occasion and the 20 arrestees consisting of 11 men and 9 transsexuals were taken to Hospital for further blood tests to confirm the narcotic present in their bodies."

Guest shockdevil
:o Thanks for this information. I was wondering what was happening the night of 12 February 2008. My bf and I got to Sunee Plaza around 11:25 PM. At first I thought they were shooting a movie or staging a protest because of all of the young individuals seated on the ground in an intersection in Sunee Plaza. After we realized what was happening I wanted to leave but my bf was intrigued until one of the officials looked at him like he was next to be harassed, at which point I immediately grabbed his hand and headed for our motorbike. Thank goodness they did not bother him because neither of us were carrying ID that night. I did not realize stuff like this was still happening here. Very sad...

Guest pattayageorge
:o Thanks for this information. I was wondering what was happening the night of 12 February 2008. My bf and I got to Sunee Plaza around 11:25 PM. At first I thought they were shooting a movie or staging a protest because of all of the young individuals seated on the ground in an intersection in Sunee Plaza. After we realized what was happening I wanted to leave but my bf was intrigued until one of the officials looked at him like he was next to be harassed, at which point I immediately grabbed his hand and headed for our motorbike. Thank goodness they did not bother him because neither of us were carrying ID that night. I did not realize stuff like this was still happening here. Very sad...

The reason why these things still happen here, is because these bar owners persist in having children working in their bars, alot of whom are off their heads on ya-ba. The same cannot be said for the bars in pattayaland, particularly Boyz Town, where all of the boys are of a legal age and sober. I always feel more comfortable taking a boy from there because I know his ID is genuine, and if I encounter any problems, then I have recourse through their management

Guest luvthai

The raid was to check for drugs not underage workers. If you think that all the boys in Boystown are legal age you are sadly mistaken. You might want to take a better look around Boystown before making such a statement.

The limits of Boystown are clearly marked with huge signs. In eight years I have not seen a single boy under eighteen in a bar in Boystown. In fact, even the street is policed so effectively by private guards that under age boys don’t loiter there.

The limits of Boystown are clearly marked with huge signs. In eight years I have not seen a single boy under eighteen in a bar in Boystown. In fact, even the street is policed so effectively by private guards that under age boys don’t loiter there.

My BF is 23 now... I met him 5 years ago when he was 18 working in Boystown

At that stage he had been working in Bars in Boystown (and only Boystown) for 2 years

Do the Maths!

Every bar tries - some succeed!

Let's be clear, Boyztown is Pattayaland Soi 3 only. Toy Boyz around to Amor Restaurant.

There are gay bars on Pattayaland Soi 2 - A Bomb, Wild West and lots on Pattayaland Soi 1 - Dream Boys, Sawatdee etc.

Let's be clear, Boyztown is Pattayaland Soi 3 only. Toy Boyz around to Amor Restaurant.

There are gay bars on Pattayaland Soi 2 - A Bomb, Wild West and lots on Pattayaland Soi 1 - Dream Boys, Sawatdee etc.

Hi Wowpow - I'll rewrite my last message...

My BF is 23 now... I met him 5 years ago when he was 18 working in Boystown (Pattayaland soi3)

At that stage he had been working in Bars in Boystown (and only Boystown=Pattayaland Soi 3) for 2 years

Do the Maths!

Every bar tries - some succeed!

I have no doubt that the Bar owners were unaware that he was underage, but the simple fact is that he was!

I just want it noted that there is no cast iron guarantee that a boy from boystown, pattayaland, Jomtien or Sunnee is over 18.

luvthi, I am a born skeptic who, nonetheless, has been wrong before.

Could we, perhaps, meet for a drink at Panorama? We could then go to a bar or two and you could point out the underage boys.

I think some of you may be confusing Boyztown with the entirety of Pattayaland. Boyztown is Soi 3, but there are also gay bars on Sois 1 and 2. The bars on Sois 1 and 2 are not part of Boyztown.

I cannot say whether any of the Boyztown bars have under-age boys or not. It's been a long time since I've been to any of them. However, I know that some of the Pattayaland bars do employ under-age boys. Geezer, if you wish I will be glad to go with you and personally show you the ones I know about.

One thing is for sure - while some of the Pattayaland bars have under-age boys, they are not nearly as common or numerous as certain other bar areas of Pattaya.

Guest gwm4sian
The limits of Boystown are clearly marked with huge signs. In eight years I have not seen a single boy under eighteen in a bar in Boystown.

Geezer, I have great respect for you, and hate to contradict you, but please take these as the words of a pedant!

About 6 months ago i rememebr seeing a young lad who was definitely under 10 and probably under 7 drinking a coke in Oscars with members of his family.

This, of course, may not be in the spirit in which you intended, so let me offer to join in your search and buy you a drink.

“I cannot say whether any of the Boyztown bars have under-age boys or not. It's been a long time since I've been to any of them. However, I know that some of the Pattayaland bars do employ under-age boys.”

Yes GB, there is that bar (on Pattayaland Soi 1 is it? I‘m not sure.) which has long been known as the quintessential underage boy bar.

“Geezer, I have great respect for you,”

Gwm4sian, you are a man of discernment.

You reminded me that eight or nine years ago a lad, perhaps ten years old, with a wonderful personality, and the most horrifically disfiguring cleft palate I have ever seen, would make a daily round through Soi 3 selling chewing gum. A friend and I always had a six o’clock margarita on the terrace of Panorama , and would buy gum from him.

We would kid with him for a minute or two, and he would give us a fifteen second shoulder massage. We, as many before us, wanted to sponsor corrective surgery, but, as the boy was owned by the mafia, it was impossible.

The manger of the bar pointed out, what we should have known, that the boy really couldn’t come onto the terrace. Not only was it illegal, but someone could snap a photo of “two pedophiles taking advantage of a handicapped ten year old child“.

“let me offer to join in your search and buy you a drink.”

It’s a deal, assuming someone volunteers to serve as a guide to underage boys in Boystown.

Guest wotucallme
Oh well, there goes my drink. You've got it right . . .

Geezer and Gaybutton,

I think you should actually go to this "quintessential" bar for your drinks and you will find that the owner changed his policy a long time ago. Although the staff look younger than they should be, they are actually of legal age for performing their job; not difficult in Thailand.

Thanks for bringing me up to date on that Watyoucallme. Someone told me their policy had changed, and I am glad to have that confirmed.

I had that in mind when I wrote the post, carefully phrasing it in a futile effort to leave a little wiggle room. “that bar … which has long been known as the quintessential underage boy bar.”

I offer a sincere apology to those involved in the club and suggest that Gentlemen who like young appearing lads walk over to Pattayaland Soi 1 and give it a try.

My tastes are catholic, and include young appearing boys of legal age. I think I’ll check it out tonight.

Geezer and Gaybutton,

I think you should actually go to this "quintessential" bar for your drinks and you will find that the owner changed his policy a long time ago.

Thank you very much for the tip. This evening Geezer and I did just that, and as far as we can tell you are correct. There were a couple boys who we thought were questionable and we would have wanted to check their ID cards if we were going to take them off, but the rest were definitely at least 18 years old, no question about it.

That was the only bar I went to this evening, but as I write this Geezer is still out there checking out other bars on that soi. Perhaps he'll have something to say once he is online again.

So, maybe all of Boyztown and Pattayaland is "clean" after all. I'm guessing it is. When we hear about police raids these days, we usually hear only about raids that take place in Sunee Plaza. If the police are aware that the Pattayaland bars no longer have any under-age boys, then there wouldn't be much point in staging raids there very often, at least if the goal is to check ID cards.

Guest consumerismsux

Could someone please enlighten me with regards to the "legal" ages here in Thailand? I've been told that the legal carnal age is not the same for Thai/Farang as compared to Thai/Thai? Also, what is the legal "drinking" age?

Cheers.