TotallyOz

Sen. Rob Portman is reversing his hardline position against gay marriage.

In a very personal Interview, Sen. Portman says he has a gay son and that his view on same sex marriage has changed and he thinks that gays should be allowed to marry.

He was vetted as being a VP for Romney but passed over. He says this has nothing to do with that but I wonder.

Glad he has a change of heart and how supports equal rights for gays and lesbians.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/15/politics/portman-gay-marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

• Members

Nice to hear he has seen the light. As a senator from my state, I have been disappointed with him but maybe there is some hope for him now ^_^

More people should be asking themselves and seriously considering the question: If my son (or daughter) was gay, would I really want them to be treated differently?

I hope his son finds love and is able to marry whomever he chooses.

• Members

The tide has turned and many Republican will deserting the sinking ship of man and woman marriages only.

Let's face it almost none of them have any principles except to get re-elected. They finally see that the 20 and 30 year olds look at this and don't even understand how anyone could be against it. Those are the votes they will need to keep their high paying jobs for no work. If they got paid for the number of days worked they would starve!!

Guest rimchair

So maybe if Portman had poor people in his family, he'd back raising the minimum wage. If he had sick, uninsured people in his family, he'd back universal healthcare.

If only these Republican 'conservatives' had just an inkling of what the real world is like, maybe we'd finally get somewhere... You can't buy life experience...

• Members

One can only hope that every pol and every person does not have to have a personal experience in order to change an opinion. So far, I have not had to crash an airplane to think or know that might not be a good result. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest rimchair

Last year Obama was against gay marriage. He changed his mind and is now a hero. Portman has a change of heart and nobody wants to believe it, just because he is Republican?

Oh, I believe Portman was brave to change his heart, and I truly believe him. After seeing his interview with Dana Bash on CNN, the guy was trembling when he gave it. This did come from his heart.

Now there are some BT members who are unimpressed, and are probably flying home in their private jets from CPAC as I write this. Shame on them.

""While some people may have been eager to heap praise on Republican Sen. Rob Portman (OH) for his endorsement of marriage equality this week, many conservatives, including several attendees of the 2013 Conservative Political Action Conference were not so supportive. Portman gave a press conference on Thursday of last week in which he said he has reversed his position against same sex marriage since his son, Will, came out of the closet.

Tony Mele, 88, said Portman’s announcement is “Horrible!” When informed that Portman’s gay son prompted his change of heart, Mele said, “That’s his fault! He gets no sympathy from me.”.""

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/16/cpac-attendees-condemn-sen-portmans-endorsement-of-marriage-equality/

Tea-Party-CPAC-Portman-reax-615x345.png

Guest NCBored

Last year Obama was against gay marriage. He changed his mind and is now a hero. Portman has a change of heart and nobody wants to believe it, just because he is Republican?

I have no reason to believe that Portman is less sincere than Obama - I choose to believe them both.

I don't demonize Republicans - once we do that, there is no hope for compromise or progress.

Guest hitoallusa

Yes Repiblicans will eventually come around and accept gay marriage... It just takes time... Now my chance of getting married this year is getting slim since it's near the end of March and I don't have a bf... I could console myself saying that gay marriage was not allowed in the past but I don't have that excuse any more... Sigh...

• Members

Obama was capable of showing empathy for others *not* related to him, and of being convinced through reason.

This asshat was anti-gay until his own son made it clear the issue now affected him personally. And even then, he "bravely" waited to address it until he was out of the running for VP...

• Members

You just need to go to Mass more often.

And hang around the rectory afterward. ;)

Wow. I would say something catty but I am in a doggy mood right now. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

What would I do with a priest? He won't date or marry me...^_^

You just need to go to Mass more often.

And hang around the rectory afterward. ;)

What would I do with a priest? He won't date or marry me...^_^

(1) Dating -- never know til you try!

(2) Marrying -- just give Pope Francis time to fire and replace the current Curia (plus hire his own bodyguards and food tasters -- see John Paul I, Mistakes Made By), then see how quick he drops the celibacy rule. Which as Pope he can do unilaterally.