flipao

The Completely Outrageous Cost Of Living In Brazil

• Members
The Completely Outrageous Cost Of Living In Brazil

Business in Brazil may be booming, but the influx of foreign investment and fast pace of growth have wreaked havoc on the nation's currency.

The Brazilian real is now considered by some to be the world's most overvalued currency, meaning that daily life in the country has become incredibly expensive, according to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal.

Price tags on everything from cans of Coca Cola to apartments are suddenly higher in Brazil than they are in New York.

This is a major problem for Brazilian manufacturers, who fear the skyrocketing costs will prevent them from doing business with other countries.

It's also a problem for citizens who have seen prices increase even as their paychecks have remained stagnant.

We've rounded up some of the most outrageous living costs that are now commonplace in Brazil.

http://www.businessinsider.com/outrageous-prices-living-brazil-2011-9?op=1

Read more:

Guest Hoover42

I don't know about Argentina, but if you visit Mexico you will have the same experiences about cost of living similar to Brazil.

What?

• Members

The thing that always puzzles me about these comparisons is the tendency to use the cost of U. S. branded products in a foreign country.

Personally, the last thing I'd eat in Brazil would be a Big Mac and the last thing I'd drink would be a Coke. I wouldn't buy spaghetti, or Levi's, or Nike's. I doubt the majority of Brazilians buy these things on a regular basis either.

I have a friend from Brazil who visits family twice a year and his suitcase is always full of clothes and electronics that cost a fortune in Brazil. But, when he's there, he eats the same food his family eats and it's not expensive at all. He's told me how much it costs to fill his family's pantry, and it's a fraction of what it costs in the U. S. Same for another friend whose family lives in Mexico.

I'm not saying I couldn't pay $3.50 for a box of spaghetti in Brazil, but why would I?

It's not like I'm in Kansas any more. :rolleyes:

2459040042_3590fbe0bc.jpg

• Members

I agree 100% but I don't eat or buy Big Macs or Cokes here either. ^_^ I have gotten along very well eating what the locals eat and more or less living the local lifestyle. I am not very fond of gravy on beef (NZ) or alfalfa sprouts on a "plate" lunch (UK) or eggs on hamburgers (OZ) but I have eaten all of them more than once while in those countries. Ei mit schinken (ham and eggs) is quite a different dish in Switzerland but still very good. Etc.

Eating out can be expensive almost anywhere while cooking in can easily save a good deal of money, also anywhere.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Although these are American brands, the goods are made in Brazil. Levi's does have a factory in Brazil and the products sold there are locally produced. Same with Coke, Pepsy, even Apple is producing iPads and iPhones in the country. It's the sixth biggest economy in the planet after all. And Brazilians do love McDonalds, they are everywhere always with huge lines and staggering prices. Is one of the most expensive places on earth, vastly covered with disbelief by the international press. Pretend otherwise is trying to hide reality.

• Members

And Brazilians do love McDonalds, they are everywhere always with huge lines and staggering prices. Is one of the most expensive places on earth, vastly covered with disbelief by the international press. Pretend otherwise is trying to hide reality.

I'm not saying some Brazilians wouldn't do it. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it. And I bet not all Brazilians do it either. Not when there are so many other good things to eat.

According to this World Bank survey, per capita income in Brazil is less than a third of what it is in the U. S. I'm no expert, but I can't see how they could be paying more for everything than we do.

There must be some bargains somewhere.

DSC00137.jpg

I met with the managers of the JW Marriott and both said the same thing. The cost of living for them is insane. The majority of people I spoke to said they can't afford Rio and they are from Brazil.

The same thing was said by many of those that I know in Sao Paulo.

Brazil is not cheap. Yes, perhaps the saunas are, but food, etc. is not cheap.

• Members

Okay. Since I live in Rio de Janeiro and cook for myself, my friends always tell me I should open a restaurant where I live, I do know food prices. This article is mainly BS for the average Brasilian. One must realize that some Brasilians are crazy for "brands" and know they have to pay a premium for the "brand." Absolutely the only brand I buy is thesoft serve, ice cream cone from McDonald's for 1.75Reais.

Why anyone would buy KFC chicken instead of cook their own galeto which is about 5Reais at my local market is beyond me. I think the last time I swung by a Burger King they were pricing a Whopper Bacon Cheese with a medium fry and a large drink for 22Reais. Crazy. All over you an get a great roast beef sandwich or pork leg sandwich sliced off the bone with lettuce, tomato, cheese and dipped in the au jus for 7.50Reais. And a 500ml fresh guava juice is another 4Reais.

I just made a huge pot of bolonghese sauce that I freeze in containers so I can remember that the trimmed of fat, freshly-ground chuck was 32Reais for 2.5kilos. So 5.5pounds of beef for $16US. I don't think that is too outrageous. Tomatoes were $2.00/kilo or under $1.00pound. The fresh lettuce here is 75cents/head. Garlic is 9.50reais/kilo.

All pasta here is called Macarrao. There are many different varieties with different names than in the US. Fusilli are Parafuso for example. We don't have fettucinni, per say. Lasanha in Lasangna. Not going ot bother with the spellings right now. But a kilo(maybe I am forgetting and it is only 500grams? - sorry but baack in the US) package is normally under 4Reais or $2.00. I just bought a box of imported from Italy, DeCecco tri-color fusilli for cold-pasta salad to throw on my mixed slads for lunch. 8Reais. IT was a WTF moment. MY local markey was sold out. The same national tri-color pasta called parafuso is 4Reais.

Milk everywhere right now is about 2.50-2.95/liter. Depending on the brand. So milk here is expensive at 6.00/gallon. But you can buy dried milk that you reconstitute that costs less but for me, I will pay extra for the convenience.

Shopping costa at markets vary. The cheapest food store chains in Rio are Mundial, Guanabara and Prezunic. You'll pay more at the smaller placed in Gloria and Catete. Extra looks like it is cheap but it just a small percentage less than Pao de Aucuar as they are part of the same group. Only difference is that Extra doesn't take credit cards, only debit cards really. So there is a savings there. Similar to Costco and Sam's Club here in the US. The most expensive chain is Zona Sul normally. A few items that are part of the "cesta basica" or basic basket are price-competitive with the less expensive chains.

The puff piece mentions the cost of beer. It really depends where one is consuming their beverage of choice. A choppe in a chic restaurant will cost more than a regular adega/botequim. Or a beer from a vendor at Farme de Amoedo. A latao(tall can)of Brahma is about 1.40Reais or 70cents if bought warm. Cold cans of beer on the street are 3 or 4 for 10Reais. Latoes(tall cans) are normally 4Reais each. Some vendors who want more volume and are more competitive sell them at 3 for 10Reais.

Besides at time being a whore, I am a true one for acai puro. Non adulterated with strawberry, banana or tapioca powder. Right now acai sweetened with guarana near where I get the boat in Centro on Praca XV is 6Reais for 500ml. A pint. That same adulterated(less expensive to serve as bananas and tapioca are cheap extenders) on Farme de Amoedo will go for 10Reais OR MORE. So, there you go.

Clothes, hardly any Brasilian will wear Levi's. They are just crazy expensive. Opcao and Toulon(very nice brands) are under 100Reais for jeans. My khaki pants and shorts from Wal-Mart will cost about 50Reais. Ditto from TACO, a Brasilian version of GAP. Haring which has very nice t-shirts, underwear, socks and other cotton products says a great pair of khaki cotton cargo shorts for about 90Reais. Higher-quality tailoring that I recently purchased. So really great cargo shorts for $45.00US.

The brands closest to H&M down here are Marisa(mostly for women), Leader, Renner and C&A. Prices are not so high. But imported brands are off the charts for Lacoste, etc. I have a wide foot and cannot wear the great leather shoes from Mr. Cat. But I just got some rubber-solded Rockports here in the US at DSW for $90.00. Many, many models of shoes at Mr. Cat with great leather will be at that price or less. And DSW is consider at discount big-boxer and not higher-quality. There are cheaper shoes chains in Rio like SAVINI.

With Oz and TomCal, we had lunch at Siqueira Grill. Very expensive por quilo at 52Reais/Kilo. But they serve freshly-trimmed and cut sashimi, lamb chops and duck breast. Really good quality. However, all over the city, simpler places that use the"balanca" or scale, will charge under 30Reais/quilo-kilo and even less,sometimes 22Reais if you enter before Noon or after 2PM. Same difference for a churrascaria that serves rodizio-style. Compare the prices of Monchique to Porcao. Over twice the price. Not that the food is bad. Just the variety and cost of the ingredients will be less. And if you go to a restaurant buffet you can find a prato feito with a protein choice or two to put on your plate with three sides for 8-9Reais. $4.50 for lunch is not too bad eating in a restaurant. Simple, food with clear flavors like roast beef, grilled chicken or fish. Nothing fancy with rice, beans and tomato and onion salad.

It all depends what is important to you.