TotallyOz

Site Issues and Speed

• Members

As I wrote in the otehr thread about the speed, for ME, its gotten worse. Before I just had trouble getting into the site, but then it was OK. Of late, its bad even when in the follows, posting is extremely slow, and the site often freezes up on me when I hit the POST button. I have to exit the site and re-login to do what I need to do. VERY frustrating.

Guest FourAces

I'm still having slowness as well. Just to enter the Hooboy forum it took 40 seconds.

I too have tried to create posts to only have to redo the same post because the site timed out on me after clicking the post button.

Also, recently I have waited so long for a thread to open after clicking on it I have signed out then back in to try again. This works about half the time.

As for the other parts of the site I do not visit often but when I do I have experienced like issues.

I am sure this is as frustrating for you to correct as it is for us to use.

Guest FourAces

btw OZ I have a bit of a tech background and in my use of the site I cannot find any logic or consistency as to when or why the slowness occurs. I keep looking for a pattern of some type but nothing.

• Members

I am sure this is as frustrating for you to correct as it is for us to use.

How I wish to believe this! But only when OZ comes on here personally and tells us that he has spent an hour creating a post only to have it disappear into thin air will I believe his suffering has been commensurate with ours. :rolleyes:

medievalTorture.jpg

Thankfully, I have noticed the site getting quicker than it was last week. :thumbsup:

I also realize that when I've said the site was 'slow', I may have been misstating what's actually been going on for me. In truth, when a page actually starts to load, it seems pretty speedy. What's been different since the 'upgrade' is that some pages (down from most pages last week) just hang with the progress bar stuck at about 10%. Then, all at once, something will come unstuck and the page finishes loading.

I started trying to find out what would cause this type of behavior, especially since switching from Safari to Firefox seems to make the issue go away, at least for me. I cleaned out the Safari cache, and that didn't help. So today I changed my default Domain Name Server to see if that solves the problem. So far, so good.

Anyway, a little progress report, and a fervent hope that this post will see the light of day.

furotaluhijiponajigutivumagoge.jpg

Guest CharliePS

This forum is the only place I go in the site, and right now it is quite speedy, but earlier today it was incredibly slow--as lookin says, it just seems to hang up for quite some time, then suddenly it becomes unstuck. Sometimes the problem is just getting into the site, sometimes it is movement from one thread to another. Sometimes I can get in to read, but if I want to login in order to post, it gets stuck again. Sometimes I can edit a post, and sometimes I can't. There doesn't seem to be any recognizable pattern to the problem.

Guest hitoallusa

I have had any problems so far and minor delays all I have experienced... I usually use my phone to log in.. iPhone using safari

• Members

I too find the performance variable. I spend most of my time in admin which differs from regular users. Some times are slower than others and sometimes in the same several minutes I can get speedy performances and then I can get hangs too for what seems like minutes although not really that long. There seems to be no rhyme of reason as for predicting when the hangs might happen with the exception that it seems to happen more consistently when the software downloads photos for display on my machine.

A few minutes ago I was clicking in and out of threads with no problem. But just now, clicking on this thread title from the "New Content" thread roster, the site took about 50 seconds to let me into this thread.

Likewise, when I clicked the Notification button a few moments ago, it took about 45 seconds to display a new Notification.

This is on my Win7/FF laptop.

Guest EXPAT

This morning it was only slow at the beginning. The first time I clicked to check something it hung for about 15 seconds before it completely opened. Then going forward it was better and better.

Guest CharliePS

The first time I tried to logon to the site this morning, it hung up and I couldn't get in at all. A few minutes later I clicked on it and was in instantly. Who knows?

Guest NCBored

I got a message from the programmers this AM saying they did some tweaks. Did it work? If so, those issues should no longer be here.

I don't see any difference. I got 'dropped' at one point this morning and it took half a dozen attempts before I could get back.

Guest FourAces

After your message OZ no changes on my end. Signed on without problem but when clicking to open this thread it took about 50 seconds before it opened. Other threads have opened at normal speed while still others are taking 30 seconds plus.

• Members

Safari has a 'developer' toolkit which I just ran during the latest delayed page opening. It took an agonizing 1.3 minutes to load an element called "index.php". That seems to be the entry point to the Message Forum.

Sometimes there are a few elements that load before "index.php", mostly jpegs, and they come from cache. Therefore, they load quickly, and that's probably what lets the progress bar move a short distance right away. But then it hangs, waiting for the "index.php" element to load.

"index.php" appears to be a fairly small ~90kb text/html file and, when it actually starts loading, it does so in a second or two. And everything that loads after "index.php" loads in a matter of seconds.

So, I think if you ask the programmers to figure out what makes the "index.php" file occasionally reluctant to start loading, you'll have solved your problem.