Gaybutton

GB's Songkran Report

I made no attempt to go to the beach today, but I did cruise through town for a while. I went to Tuk Com and Villa Market, along with a bit more sightseeing. If you are among those in Pattaya and suffering from Songkranophobia, then you might as well start hibernating. There are few places you can go now without getting soaked along the way. Once you get where you're going you're fine, but unless you are riding in an enclosed vehicle, you're gonna get it.

I'll give you a little tip, in case you didn't think of it. If you need to ride a baht bus, but don't want to be soaked, take a baht bus on which you can sit up front with the driver.

The revelers are all over the main streets now. On the side sois there are usually a few groups of children with squirt guns.

Throughout the city traffic seems to be flowing quite well. It's the beach area that's bottlenecking. So, if you're going to the beach (and once you're on the beach nobody will soak you), then I suggest getting a very early start, before the traffic builds up. If you head for the beach much later than 10:30 to 11:00 AM, you'll get stuck in traffic.

Guest painai

I was INSIDE Tuk Com today and got squirted with a water gun. One booth that sells telephones thought it was cute to catch unsuspecting shoppers from behind the counter. Trouble is, you might not have your phone covered in a plastic bag at that point. For me, not real cute.

The following appears in the PATTAYA CITY NEWS:

see http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_14_04_51.html for photos.

_____

Songkran Festival Begins Early Here in Pattaya

Although the Pattaya Songkran Festival does not take place until 19th of this month, celebrations have begun early and we can report that in some areas, the water fighting has well and truly begun. The influx of Thai and Foreign Tourists to Pattaya has begun and the Traffic Police are working tirelessly to ensure that the roads around Pattaya remain unblocked as much as possible.

The beaches of Pattaya and Jomtien were busy over the weekend and over the next few days the influx of Tourists is expected to continue.

We must warn you that the likelihood of you getting a soaking over the coming week is high and please understand that this is normal during Songkran.

We must also warn you that the use of water pipes is illegal in accordance with national regulations and you may be subject to a fine or even incarceration if you are caught using them.

Guest zzrichard

YESTERDAY...

From my apartment to Jomtein Beach is about a 35 minute leisurely walk which I usually take daily for exercise. I usually bring a small towel with me as my body still sweats (happily not as much as 3 months ago when i started), but I thought that it would be fruitless as Songkran would be in full swing.

Walking from my apartment on Soi Khopai to Threpprasit Road was no biggy and no water...just a few babies with such poor accuracy that I had to walk right up to them to make sure they got a decent shot. That complete, the laughter was great as they took care of the big old farang!

The walk on Thepprasit to Thappraya (road to the beach) was almost ghostlike...this soi which is mainly occupied with small "knock-down" furniture and custom drapery stores had almost no stores open; even on Sundays, quite a few of the shops are open.

Taking a left on Thappraya towards Jomtein Complex, the waters opened up. Many trucks and cars and people just standing around had the water guns, cups, pails and whatever could hold water and paste were having a field day and it was not long before I was soaked.

Getting closer to Jomtein the traffic to the beach was pretty heavy and I was walking the the side of the road which opposed traffic. There was a pick-up truck with a few Thai men in it. They had low-range water guns and I was teasing them that they could not hit me.

After they gave up, I ran a few cars in front of them and when they were not looking (they were busy splashing water on a pretty girl) I jumped in the bed of their truck and got them good with their own water! After the initial shock, they started laughing their asses off and proceeded to share some Thai whiskey with me.

I jumped off the pick-up (actually at 62, I really don't jump...it is a poor memory of jumping..LOL) at the police box and proceeded to Bamboo Bar where I met my bf. The rest of the day was great fun drinking and tossing water at the passersby. We let the motorbikes go by safely unless they started first and of course older people and babies were treated with respect.

The only bad parts of the day was when a big farang got pissed off and jumped off a songtaew, picked up a large bucket of water and poured over it over one of the owners of Bamboo. Then he ran back to the songtaew. To quote the owner, "lucky he did not touch a Thaiboy..." and the other person was another fat-ass farang who started yelling at us in Russian.

So, that was my day yesterday. Today, I am taking it easy but will be back on the streets tomorrow.

----------------------------------

Favorite new Thai expression: How are you tomorrow?

Today, I am taking it easy but will be back on the streets tomorrow.

I also did not get out very much today. From what little I did see, it looks as if everything has quieted down and will probably remain relatively quiet through Thursday. Then on Friday it will become progressively massive.

One piece of advice: On Friday, if you are traveling to or from Pattaya and trying to either go to Bangkok or come to Pattaya from Bangkok, take the Route 7 expressway. Don't try to go through Chonburi. Friday is Chonburi's main Songkran festival and if you try to go through you'll have a three to five hour delay.

Friday is Chonburi's main Songkran festival and if you try to go through you'll have a three to five hour delay.

Damm. I love Songkran. I wish I was there for all the fun.

The BF is in Chomburi and went to Bangkok to play for one day. It is a very extended holiday for him. Is there anyway I can extend Halloween for a week? I have enough outfits to dress up for about 10 days straight. ;)

come to Pattaya from Bangkok, take the Route 7 expressway. Don't try to go through Chonburi.

Hi GB

I arrive on the friday at 7am

Do you think Chonburi will be manic at that stage?

I just wanna get to South Pattaya, Meet the bf and hit the streets of Naklua!

Hi GB

I arrive on the friday at 7am

Do you think Chonburi will be manic at that stage?

I just wanna get to South Pattaya, Meet the bf and hit the streets of Naklua!

I think you'll be ok. Assuming your flight gets in on time and you don't run into delays at the airport or on the expressway, then you should be in Pattaya by 10:00 AM or possibly even earlier. Just make sure your driver doesn't try to go through Chonburi. It will be insane by the time you get there if your driver tries to take that route. Make sure you take the Route 7 expressway. That route bypasses Chonburi and enters Pattaya at Banglamung. That's going to be the only practical way to get to Pattaya that day, unless you particularly want to go through the city of Chonburi for some reason.

I didn't get out very much to day, so I have little to report. There was a lot of thunder and threatening weather in Pattaya today, so I didn't really venture out. From what little I did see, I would say today's Songkran activity was quite similar to yesterday - only sporadic activity. Perhaps someone else can fill us in on today's (Wednesday) goings-on.

This is my first Songkron in Pattaya. After reading many posts here I thought it was going to be terrible. But so far I have only been "shot" by a small child with his water pistol. I have gone every where I usually go and have not had anyone soak me yet or anything else.

Maybe tomorrow when the "fun" is to start in earnest it will be different. But so far nothing!

have not had anyone soak me yet or anything else.

It really depends on where you go. Some areas have a lot of people out there soaking everyone they can and other areas have little or nothing going on. Although I did not go to the beach today, I was in that area. Traffic was as usual for just about any day in Pattaya. As a matter of fact, traffic was actually lighter than usual.

Things will probably pick up tomorrow (Friday), but Saturday is the really big day in Pattaya.

Here's my final Songkran report for this year:

Today, Saturday April 19, was the major Songkran celebration in Pattaya. I decided to get an early start so that I wouldn't have to deal with too much traffic and could easily find a place to park. I took several towels, a six-pack of bottled water (to wash off the powder if need be), a fresh shirt, and some towels, all of which went into the trunk of my car and off I went at about 7:15 AM.

I parked on Soi Khorpai, close to Pattaya Tai (South Road). I didn't even make it to Pattaya Tai before running into a group of young revelers who had stationed themselves at the corner. They were as friendly as they could be, a group of teen boys and girls. Every one of them came up to me, gave me a big hug, said "Happy New Year" and sent me along my way after a dousing.

I walked from there all the way down to Boyztown. Nobody else soaked me along the way so I was relatively dry by the time I reached Boyztown. I went in to the coffee shop at The Ambiance. I was going to have breakfast there and kill some time before everything really got started. Two friends entered the coffee shop at about the same time I did, so we all had breakfast together. We went our separate ways after eating.

I started walking back toward where my car was parked. Now things had dramatically livened up, but the traffic was surprisingly light. I was having a great time, getting soaked, getting hugged, and just about everywhere people were very friendly and many groups insisted I stop and have a "whiskey-soda" with them. Thank goodness there wasn't much whiskey in any of them or I would have been completely drunk by the time I made it back to Soi Khorpai.

It was as rowdy and raucous as you can imagine, and there were hundreds of boys, shirtless or in soaking wet t-shirts just everywhere! For me, getting soaked and powdered was a small price to pay to be a part of that! Besides, it was so hot outside that the soakings were very refreshing. A few people did douse me with ice water, which they're not supposed to do, but it wasn't enough to fuss about. The whole thing was the kind of experience you either love or hate. I'm one of the nuts who loves it.

When I finally reached my car, nobody was around, so I quickly changed into my dry shirt, sat down on the towels I brought, and took a drive through the Songkran insanity. I was really amazed at how light the traffic was. I returned home at about 11:30 AM, so maybe I was out there before the traffic really became heavy, but I encountered no traffic problems at all. Everything was flowing very smoothly.

I would have stayed longer, but by that time I had enough and I also didn't want to end up with a sunburn, but I can truly say I had a wonderful time.

If anyone else was out there today, I'd love for you to post your experiences.

GB...be sure to see TOQ's posting on Ting&Tongs Gay Thailand board...

great pics of Songkran in Pattaya of April 19th...

Thank you, Jim. Those are indeed marvelous photos. I miss the photos David-in-Pattaya used to provide and I miss the photos Boxer used to provide, but I have a feeling that TOQ is going to do a brilliant job continuing their legacy.

Guest lvdkeyes
I was at the beach with zzrichard. His report is accurate. Traffic to and from the beach today was tremendous and there was plenty of water splashing going on. There was no way you were going to or from the beach today without getting a soaking.

Other than the areas where others are reporting activity, there really wasn't much else. In the neighborhoods, a few kids were out there with their squirt guns, and that was about all.

My advice is for the rest of the week, now start wearing clothes that can get soaked. Things like mobile phones, wallets, money, and anything else you don't want soaked need to be wrapped in plastic.

And . . . if you are among the "crazies" such as zzrichard and myself, get out there and have fun!!!

Tell that to the families and friends of the 360+ people who died as a resul of all that "fun" and the thousands who were injured as a result of this craziness that has totally gotten out of hand.

Guest zzrichard
Tell that to the families and friends of the 360+ people who died as a resul of all that "fun" and the thousands who were injured as a result of this craziness that has totally gotten out of hand.

While it is sad that people die during this and other holidays, it is going to happen. In America how many high school kids never see graduation because of parties? How many are killed in our New Year's celebrations?

Perhaps there should be no more celebrations worldwise?

I think the main problem is alcohol and many farangs who toss water at moving motorbikes. I have been celebrating this particular holiday for over 20 years and do not see the validity of your statement.

Tell that to the families and friends of the 360+ people who died

I don't think the holiday has gotten out of hand at all. I do think some idiotic people, a very small minority at that, have gotten out of hand and they're the ones who need to be curtailed. If I can spot groups of people who are busy getting a thrill by throwing water right into the faces of motorcycle drivers, then I don't see why the police can't spot the same thing.

I also don't think the families and friends of those who died would advocate doing away with the holiday any more than families and friends of people who die as a result of New Year's Eve or other holiday accidents would advocate doing away with those holidays.

What I think they would advocate is more stringent controls over those who drive recklessly, drive drunk, are violating rules such as no high power water shooters and no ice water throwing, or are out there intentionally causing other problems for those who are doing nothing more than enjoying themselves along with everyone else who are enjoying themselves.

I think it's a wonderful holiday, filled with fun for most Thais. It would be very difficult to convince me that the holiday should be curtailed because of the actions of a few. In almost any situation there are the inevitable few who ruin it for everybody else.

Guest gwm4sian

In my opinion, Songkran as celebrated in Pattaya bears little resemblance to Songkran celebrations in a typically Thai setting.

The thing that spoils it for me is the crass stupidity of drunken farangs with blue pipes and iced water.

This year I spent the whole time with the b/f in his village, staying at his parents home. What a difference. Yes, lots of water throwing, lots of shirtless boys have fun, lots of drinking, but what a difference in attitude. To see the foot washing ceremony for the elders of the family was in itself an experience.

I know a lot of people like toleave Pattaya for Songkran, but if you have the chance to go to a village environment next year, take it.

I know a lot of people like toleave Pattaya for Songkran, but if you have the chance to go to a village environment next year, take it.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. All true! Have you seen the photos posted on the Gay Ting and Tong board? ( http://www.gaytingtong.com/topic2684.html )

They made me realize that the only Songkran experience I have is right here in Pattaya. Now I'm thinking about going to a village somewhere next year.