Gaybutton

Marsha Quits - Birdcage to Close

Marsha has announced that he has left the Birdcage bar and that the bar will soon close. Mr. Quill's current situation is not conducive to continue funneling money into the bar to keep it operational until it gets a steady following.

I, for one, am very sorry to see the bar fail. I thought it was an excellent idea and had the potential of finally bringing real life to the Soi Day-Night area. For whatever reason, Soi Day-Night seems to either be jinxed or a curse has been put on it. Maybe both. Just about every gay venue that has been attempted there eventually failed. There is still a gay karaoke or two over there, but that's all. Only three or four years ago there were several gay go-go bars operating in Soi Day-Night. Now they're all gone.

I don't know why Soi Day-Night has been so unsuccessful. It seems to me it's just as easy to get there as to most other gay venues. From Pattayaland, it's just as easy a walk, baht bus ride, or motorcycle taxi ride to get there. Just around the corner there are several popular restaurants. including the Flamingo Hotel, Little Planet, Cuisine Au Buerre, and others.

Why won't people go to Soi Day-Night? I don't know, but so far nothing there has worked. I think Soi Day-Night has great potential, but the only way I can see for it to really work is if someone comes up with an innovative idea that is really going to attract and keep the gay farang crowd.

I suppose there is something else I ought to say. I'm sure just about everyone who reads this web site knows I am no fan of EarWig, but several weeks ago he posted that Birdcage was going to close. People jumped all over him for that post and insisted he was wrong. You might notice this is the first time I'm saying anything about it. The truth is, I knew that Birdcage was going to close at the end of this month more than three weeks before EarWig wrote his post. I said nothing about it because I saw no reason to jump the gun until the owners were ready to make their own announcement. I don't get a thrill or ego boost from posting "scoops." I think EarWig was dead wrong to write that post when he did and I think he should have kept his mouth shut, but giving credit where it is due, his information was correct. I don't like EarWig worth a damn and I have no respect for him whatsoever, but for the sake of fairness I will say that when he posts bar information, it usually turns out to be correct.

Guest JoeM

The BF has always complained about the Soi Day Night ghosts.

I found the Birdcage a nice venue, but not unique enough to bring me back more than once. Sunee or Pattayaland have a diversity and variety that more consistently attract my baht.

Guest MRSBUCKET
The BF has always complained about the Soi Day Night ghosts.

This is very true. The Day Night area is, in the eyes of the Thai's, an area of ghosts. There were a lot of killings in this soi a long time ago. So the area is seen to have bad luck etc and I think judging by the business's that fail there, there might be some true in it.

Guest Geezer

‘The Day Night area is, in the eyes of the Thai's, an area of ghosts.”

Surely belief in a ghost infestation would contribute little to a failure of Birdcage. I assume it would not be a factor for farangs at all. Considering the attractiveness of the employees I judge that most lads were able to overcome their reservations concerning spirits in order to find employment.

I have always thought the area’s the poor lighting contributed to a murky atmosphere which was unattractive. Also, it is a bit remote from the other gay areas.

I don't like EarWig worth a damn and I have no respect for him whatsoever, but for the sake of fairness I will say that when he posts bar information, it usually turns out to be correct.

I like him a great deal and I know his information on bars most times turns out to be accurate. I have seen many times he posted information and many jumped in to tell the world he was full of shit, but in short periods of time the post turned out to be true. I am not sure if he is that well connected or his reading of the tarot cards is ghastly accurate, but in either case he is usually on the money.

As for the Birdcage, I am sorry to see them close. I had hoped it would survive and keep up in operations. I think the venue is excellent and the place could have been a great deal of fun and it should have provided a boost for the area. I don't know what happened to Marsha but I wish her the best and I am sure she will land on her feet again and be back to doing something fabulous sometime soon.

No so fast! Aaron, Kquill's son posted that the Birdcage is NOT closing.....so much for accurate scoops!

Well, it is, it isn't, it is, it isn't. Back and forth things seem to go. If it is not making money, it will close sooner rather than later. I wish them great luck but this place has been in the final act for a bit (only the fat lady hasn't sung yet). :)

Guest jomtien
I wish them great luck but this place has been in the final act for a bit (only the fat lady hasn't sung yet). :)

No, but she WAS dancing in the shows! :lol:

Guest ReneThai

The curse of Day and Night started already 15 years ago. There was a Day and Night shopping center ( after many years now Tukcom ) , where several deadly accidents happened in the elevator .

Rene

The curse of Day and Night started already 15 years ago. There was a Day and Night shopping center ( after many years now Tukcom ) , where several deadly accidents happened in the elevator .

Rene

Hi Rene

I was always told that it was a fire in the cinema on the top floor that closed the dayNight shopping centre....

And that is why the top floor is still unoccupied?

Anybody else heard this version of events?