pauleiro

John Irving : In one person

• Members

Just ended reading that book.

Amazing. HIghly recommended.

"Irving came up with the idea of writing a book about a bisexual character while thinking "what if", also commenting that the subject matter of bisexuality was familiar to him, having had fleeting crushes on boys while growing up. He also remarked on the subject of the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s when he wrote that he and several family members of homosexual men had only discovered the sexual orientation of these men due to their being diagnosed as having the disease and dying of it.

In One Person deals with several themes such as homosexuality, bisexuality and AIDS. Other elements mentioned in the book concern transgenderism and the idea of sexual awakening".

I learned (is it true ?) that during the 7 of the eight years he was President (1981-1989), Reagan would not say the AIDS word).

And I learned that LBGT is now LBGTQ ...

Guest Paragon

How many letters do we need here? You say that you learned "that LBGT is now LGBTQ." Says who? Granted, some people want it to be that way, but I don't think it is...yet. Whether it gets there depends on the public and whether they adapt the term widely enough so as to confer approval on it. So far, I don't think so.

Recently there was a media efforts to title youth today as "millennials." This apparently because they were born circa the millennium. Several journalists used it all at once in what seemed like a concerted effort to have the term take hold. Now I haven't studied it, but I think the usage has petered out. Which isn't to say it won't pick up later and gain acceptance in the realm of language.

I think the same goes for LGBTQ. It may catch on, but it's a mouthful of letters, and many in the LG group care only for their own and may not want to add the additional letters. We'll see, and nothing I say here prevents anyone from using whatever letters they want, does it?!

(Incidentally, I loved In One Person also.)

I think the same goes for LGBTQ. It may catch on, but it's a mouthful of letters, and many in the LG group care only for their own and may not want to add the additional letters. We'll see, and nothing I say here prevents anyone from using whatever letters they want, does it?!

One thing we seem to try to be as a community is inclusive (at least in some ways) and the struggles for transgendered rights are important for all of us. The extra T does not bother me at all.