Guest FourAces

The Day Planner

Guest FourAces

I miss the days at this time of year when I go to a office store and pick my new day planner for tge year. The many choices, clean smell of paper and ink, the signaling of a fresh year. APPS JUST DON'T DO IT FOR ME .... :(

• Members

We are still "old fashioned" enough to use a pocket calendar to record trips in the company plane. After each leg, we record from where to where, who was on board and the elapsed time as shown on the recording Hobbs meter. A Hobbs meter is simply a recording clock that only runs when the aircraft is actually in the air. Naturally, all this is written on the day of the month it happens.

Handy things---paper and pen. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

I've been using a "Week at a Glance" day-timer for YEARS now! I've never felt comfortable using the calendar functions on my Ipad or phones, etc. Guess that makes me "old fashioned" as well?!

Guest CharliePS

I've been using a "Week at a Glance" day-timer for YEARS now! I've never felt comfortable using the calendar functions on my Ipad or phones, etc. Guess that makes me "old fashioned" as well?!

Ditto (and I'm old enough to have used a ditto machine at work).

• Members

AS-

I would prefer "real" airplanes that never crash but that is science fiction or wishful thinking. ^_^

Every "modern" convenience has some risk/reward aspect. I think that includes toasters and microwave ovens. However, I am not willing to be without but I am willing to be as careful as possible. That includes waiting until the toaster is cool before cleaning it out. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest FourAces

Ditto (and I'm old enough to have used a ditto machine at work).

I know what the word "ditto" means however what is a ditto machine? btw does anyone think a 16y/o would know the word ditto?

• Members

I know what the word "ditto" means however what is a ditto machine? btw does anyone think a 16y/o would know the word ditto?

I think they used a chemical and a drum (often hand cranked) to make copies, The master copy may've had to be special somehow. That's all I picked up, just old enough for them to have still been used in early school years here...

• Members

Sure, those leather binder things look nice, until you leave it sitting on a restaurant table...

I just don't understand carrying redundant things, myself. Cell phone makes a great watch, calendar, flash light, camera, nav system, etc... Plus I don't have to make out my crap writing and can copy/paste and alter appointments with ease! Not to mention reminders. Also love automagic sync with everything I"m logged on to.

And the smartphone calendar functions keep getting better. Google has stuff now where it automatically scans your email and reminds you/provides details for things (especially flights) that, yes, is creepy, but also works really well!

• Members

I have cut a few stencils for "ditto" machines which is why a typewriter (another anachronism?) could nave no ribbon selected. The bare keys cut the stencil and it was carefully applied to a drum on the ditto machine. I can still smell the alcohol like smell of the cleaning fluid used. Ink was liberally applied on the inside of the drum and fed through the holes in the stencil to be deposited on the paper. The holes of course were the letters as typed. It was a bitch to correct an error. The stencil had to be repaired without losing the exact place. Still even an inexperienced operator could turn out an amazing number of bad copies. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
I think you folks might be referring to mimeograph machines. They used a stencil to let ink through to the paper.

A ditto machine transferred wax onto a master which was then pressed against a blank page onto which some of the wax was transferred. I think I remember seeing some of these and that the paper itself was sort of shiny.

220px-Ditto_Newsletter_1978.jpg

I'm not proud of this, but I actually looked up these early machines when this thread was first posted. It was a slow night. :rolleyes: Also gave time to reflect on the effort necessary to reach other folks in those days. You really had to think about exactly what you wanted to say, and then hope your typing skills were up to getting it right the first time. On the other hand, it was a bunch easier than in the really old days.

M084861-04.jpg

• Members

I don't actually recall the ditto machine and leapt to the conclusion that ditto and mimeograph were likely the same thing. The name I remember seeing the most often was "Gestetner". As I recall, that name was used so often to mean mimeograph that, at least locally, it became generic, like Frigidaire for refrigerator, Hoover for vacuum cleaner, etc.

I enjoy wandering down memory lane, so long as I don't have to remain there. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1