Badboy81

Favorite Restaurants in Rio....

Hey guys...I will be in Rio in July and looking for some unique, different restaurants...

I would love to experience something that I cant find here in the States and something that you found interesting, amazing, or just different...

Huge foodie here so totally open to experience....

Would love to try a restaurant with a hot waitstaff or several courses or just something out of the norm....

Thanks in advance...

• Members

Hey guys...I will be in Rio in July and looking for some unique, different restaurants...

I would love to experience something that I cant find here in the States and something that you found interesting, amazing, or just different...

Would love to try a restaurant with a hot waitstaff or several courses or just something out of the norm....

Thanks in advance...

You did say you were looking for something not found in the U.S.

I recommend a wonderful restaurant in Rio that is more than one hundred years old. It is a very "upscale" restaurant and is located in a unique and attractive building. In fact, there is no restaurant or building in Rio similar to it.

You don't want to go there alone because you will be the only one dining alone.

The menu is great and the food is also great. The prices are a little on the high side but worth it, in my opinion.

Here is a link to the web site for the restaurant -

http://www.confeitariacolombo.com.br/siteen/

The web site can be viewed either in Portuguese or English.

There is a map on the web site as well as photos of some of the food available.

The restaurant is located in downtown Rio.

Everything you need to know in advance is shown on the restaurant's site.

Porcao in Ipanema is one of my favorites.

Scenarium is also fun and lively.

ihpguy took me to a few unique places and one was within walking distance of the JW Marriott and was very good por kilo and I ate there many times but can't remember the name.

Porcao is excellent....I went to one that overlooked some water....With my ex for my 28th birthday....

• Members

Thanks in advance...

There is one more restaurant that I can recommend. It is my favorite in Rio. It is Casa Urich, also in Centro.

Below is a link to the restaurant plus another link to some reviews and a little history.

The link to the restaurant is in English and Portuguese.

Take a look at the menu and the photos of what is offered at this restaurant. http://www.casaurich.com.br

Here is a second link in Portuguese - http://www.guiadasemana.com.br/rio-de-janeiro/restaurantes/restaurante/casa-urich

You can use Google translate to see what is said about the restaurant.

The only thing left out of the reviews is to advise customers that the food is marvelous.

I have been to this restaurant many times but always during the day at noon or slightly later.

I do not know if it is open at night. It is located in Centro and could be closed in the evening due to security reasons. At noon time, the restaurant is busy and has lots of foot traffic close by.

Excellent food is what you will get here, including a large selection on the menu.

-

Guest tomcal

Ok, Trust me on this!!! Bar d'Hotel restaurant, on the 2nd floor of the Marina All Suites Hotel in Leblon(just down the beach from Ipanema) Very gay friendly, great food, good views, reserv. highly recommended. I have eaten here at least 1/2 dozen times and never been disappointed, try the lamb mini burgers as a appetizer! Whoever you take there will be impressed!
both the NY Times and the London Telegraph have reviewed it and given high marks!
Avenida Delfim Moreira, 696 - Leblon
Rio de Janeiro - RJ, 22441-000, Brasil

Phone + 21 2172-1001
Fax www.marinaallsuites.com

p.s. the Hotel Marina is the block before this hotel with similar name, and I have had on several occasions my dining partners were at the wrong hotel, so make sure you give the address as well as the name!

• Members

Casa Urich is terrible. Colombo is better for the fin de siecle decor than the food. TomCal knows his food.

It's a good thing we all like different things and different places.

That "terrible" Casa Urich has 62 reviews on Trip Advisor and most of the reviews are very good to excellent -

Of the 62 reviews, 16 rated it excellent, 39 rated it very good, 5 rated it average, 1 person rated it poor and 1 person rated it terrible.

Here is a link to the Trip Advisor ratings and a little more about the restaurant.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303506-d2352693-Reviews-Casa_Urich-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

-

• Members

MVAN1. Stop the cut and paste shit already. I've eaten there more than once. The question is have you? If anyone thinks that when dining at Casa Urich, they will enjoy food at all similar to what one will find at a German, Polish or Czech restaurant back in the States, they are in for a major disappointment.

• Members

MVAN1. Stop the cut and paste shit already. I've eaten there more than once. The question is have you? If anyone thinks that when dining at Casa Urich, they will enjoy food at all similar to what one will find at a German, Polish or Czech restaurant back in the States, they are in for a major disappointment.

• Members

• Members

• Members

It's a good thing we all like different things and different places.

That "terrible" Casa Urich has 62 reviews on Trip Advisor and most of the reviews are very good to excellent -

Of the 62 reviews, 16 rated it excellent, 39 rated it very good, 5 rated it average, 1 person rated it poor and 1 person rated it terrible.

Here is a link to the Trip Advisor ratings and a little more about the restaurant.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303506-d2352693-Reviews-Casa_Urich-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

-

:no: There was no "cut and past' in my response. I simply recommended the restaurant and supplied web link addresses to it and to reviews from Tripadvisor.

'I've eaten there more than once. The question is have you?'

I have eaten at Casa Urich many times. Sometimes with only one other person and at other times with several friends. Similar to the reviews shown in the link I provided to Tripadvisor, none of us found the restaurant "terrible" as you reported.

:no: I never stated or implied "If anyone thinks that when dining at Casa Urich, they will enjoy food at all similar to what one will find at a German, Polish or Czech restaurant back in the States, they are in for a major disappointment."

:no: I did not state or imply that the food at Casa Urich is similar to the food to what one will find at a German, Polish or Czech restaurant back in the States."

I merely stated that I like the restaurant and that it is one of my favorites in Rio.

I stand by my recommendation and heartily recommend the restaurant to those who want a pleasant and unusual high quality restaurant in Rio.

The reviews of 62 other people who took the trouble to write a review for Tripadvsior speak for themselves.

-

• Members

Then 62 people are greatly mistaken as to what one could consider good to fine German/European cuisine.

I cannot forget your cut and paste job at this site or the other one concerning the wonderful reviews for the quite sad zoo in Rio either.

• Members

Then 62 people are greatly mistaken as to what one could consider good to fine German/European cuisine.

I cannot forget your cut and paste job at this site or the other one concerning the wonderful reviews for the quite sad zoo in Rio either.

“Then 62 people are greatly mistaken as to what one could consider good to fine German/European cuisine.”

According to what you claim, 62 other folks who wrote reviews for Tripadvisor are “greatly mistaken” and only you are right.

Good grief, all I did was respond to a question that asked for some recommendations for a restaurant in Rio. I gave my opinion about Casa Urich, a restaurant I enjoy and have visited many times.

In response, you called that well-respected and well-reviewed restaurant “terrible” which was certainly your right to do.

In response to your assertion that the restaurant is “terrible” I furnished web link addresses to the restaurant and to Tripadvisor reviews of the restaurant that do not share your assessment of the restaurant. I furnished the links for others so that they could make up their own mind about the restaurant.

Instead of letting the matter go, as a rational person would do, you posted the following:

“MVAN1. Stop the cut and paste shit already. I've eaten there more than once. The question is have you? If anyone thinks that when dining at Casa Urich, they will enjoy food at all similar to what one will find at a German, Polish or Czech restaurant back in the States, they are in for a major disappointment.”

In addition to your strange posting cited above, you also said that I had posted a review about the zoo in Rio. See below:

“I cannot forget your cut and paste job at this site or the other one concerning the wonderful reviews for the quite sad zoo in Rio either.”

I have never been to the zoo in Rio and did not “cut and paste” any review of the place because I know nothing of it and have never seen it.

• Members

“Then 62 people are greatly mistaken as to what one could consider good to fine German/European cuisine.”

According to what you claim, 62 other folks who wrote reviews for Tripadvisor are “greatly mistaken” and only you are right.

Good grief, all I did was respond to a question that asked for some recommendations for a restaurant in Rio. I gave my opinion about Casa Urich, a restaurant I enjoy and have visited many times.

In response, you called that well-respected and well-reviewed restaurant “terrible” which was certainly your right to do.

In response to your assertion that the restaurant is “terrible” I furnished web link addresses to the restaurant and to Tripadvisor reviews of the restaurant that do not share your assessment of the restaurant. I furnished the links for others so that they could make up their own mind about the restaurant.

Instead of letting the matter go, as a rational person would do, you posted the following: “MVAN1. Stop the cut and paste shit already. I've eaten there more than once. The question is have you? If anyone thinks that when dining at Casa Urich, they will enjoy food at all similar to what one will find at a German, Polish or Czech restaurant back in the States, they are in for a major disappointment.”

In addition to your strange posting cited above, you also said that I had posted a review about the zoo in Rio. See below:“I cannot forget your cut and paste job at this site or the other one concerning the wonderful reviews for the quite sad zoo in Rio either.”I have never been to the zoo in Rio and did not “cut and paste” any review of the place because I know nothing of it and have never seen it.

Wow. How on earth did this dispute even come about? I hope this thread doesn't get derailed.

I look forward to going to some of the restaurants suggested here, and thanks to the posters for the recommendations. I'll be in Rio for a little over 2 weeks starting mid-July. Tomcal's restaurant sounds great to attend with one of my best friends from Los Angeles, and although I suspect it will be on the expensive side, I think it'll be worth it. Does anyone know how affordable the other restaurants are? Are they good (& feasible) to go to often with the garotos? Advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Members

I look forward to going to some of the restaurants suggested here, and thanks to the posters for the recommendations. I'll be in Rio for a little over 2 weeks starting mid-July. Tomcal's restaurant sounds great to attend with one of my best friends from Los Angeles, and although I suspect it will be on the expensive side, I think it'll be worth it. Does anyone know how affordable the other restaurants are? Are they good (& feasible) to go to often with the garotos? Advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance

“Does anyone know how affordable the other restaurants are?”

At Casa Urich, the prices are considered high by some Rio residents. For example, a main dish, excluding drinks and other items is around R$30 to R$40. At the current exchange rate, this is equal to only about $10 or $13 dollars, U.S. Adding in drinks, particularly hard liquor, can increase the price by as much as the meal, itself.

Similar pricing applies to the other restaurant I recommended, Confeiraria Colombo.

As to your other question, whether it is feasible to go often with the garotos is something that depends on you and on the habits of your friend and of the garotos. It also depends on how adventurous you and your group are.

Since you will be in Rio a little over two weeks, it would be something special to see these historical restaurants and experience them for dining. However, you would not want to go there every day.

The downside of the two restaurants is that they are both in downtown Rio. This means that you would be safer to visit these restaurants during lunch time or late afternoon. I don’t know if either restaurant is open during the evening.

If you have any “special” garotos who spend the night with you (and depending on where in Rio you plan to stay), taking a garoto to either of these restaurants would be something they would highly enjoy and never forget.

• Members

DUPLICATE - PLEASE DELETE

Guest tomcal

Tomcal's restaurant sounds great to attend with one of my best friends from Los Angeles, and although I suspect it will be on the expensive side, I think it'll be worth it. Does anyone know how affordable the other restaurants are? Are they good (& feasible) to go to often with the garotos? Advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Strafe13, Bar d'hôtel restaurant is on the expensive side! especially if you order any of their specialty drinks...but So worth it!

Great place to take your date! I have taken dates there at least 4 times and gone with a group of friends and "dates" on at least 2 and maybe 3 times, every time the service was great, staff very friendly and it was evident especially on the times I went with one of the sauna guys that we were gay and I think they treated us better!

The beach is very narrow there so if you get one of the tables for 2 right up against the windows, even thou you are across the street from the beach, you feel you are right over the surf!

• Members

I went to Cafe Felicce on Rua Gomes Carnero in Ipa with TeaLady on Tuesday afternoon. Another TomCal spot. Very nice food and service, Portions were okay, Prices were a bit on the high side to me (but then I normally lunch at 28-40Reais/kilo places) but used quality ingredients.

Guest tomcal

I forot to mention Café Felice! another "gay friendly" place with great Ice cream! it is across from the park where the hippie fair is held every Sunday in Ipanema, two blocks from the gay beach and one block from the General Osario metro station so very easy to get to and find!

post-119356-0-56435000-1435339605_thumb.