redxs

First time in Rio... help ;-)

• Members

Many times when I am there I run into guys from the saunas and they will hand me their watch or phone to hang on to while they go for a swim and then come back and pick them up and say "see you tonight at the sauna!" lol

awwwe...That is sweet. Did you offer to dry their bodies with your tongue?

• Members

Can you give me some feedback on the Ibis Copa? I looked into that hotel before because of the price but have never stayed there...How as the rooms, distance to the beach and access to the metro? Thanks

I just checked Tripadvisor. Its got good reviews, but some complaints about the small size room. Its in the middle of Copa between Posto 4 and 5, long walk to Posto 8 gay beach. USD75 doesn't include breakfast. There is no pool, no gym.

• Members

I stayed at this Ibis and liked it.

The room was larger than I expected.

The staff were friendlu and allowed me to take in guests, sometimes they had to show ID and register.

I'm heading back to Rio in March but think I'd[refer to stay in Ipanema district. Although I have a reservation at this Ibis still... which I can cancel nearer the time if I need to.

Has anybody any recommendations for decent hotel here?

• Members

Many people on this forum stay at apartments through Airbnb or other sites. While Airbnb is quite popular these days, I find it over rated. They show you the nightly rate when you search. Then when you are ready to book, their complete pricequote become much higher, around 15% higher with Airbnbs fee, then there is a seperate cleaning fee. Some hosts even have the fine print that they charge electricity seperately in the fine prints.

When you book the room on Airbnb, the charges is all prepaid. When there is a dispute, the renter usually lose because the hosts already have your money, and it's your fight to get it back. Airbnb don't have real time customer service. Everything is through Email. There is noone to talk to. Their disclaimer says they are only provide tge tool to connect hosts and renters, and nit responsible to mediate dispute.

I have searched Airbnb, and their apartments are not cheaper than hotels. Although these apartment have kitchens, I don't think I want to spend time shopping and cooking when I can eat out at very reason price in Brazil.

Some apartments don't have elevators, some don't have safe box, some don't have doorman, some don't have black out window curtain. The blackout curtain is pretty standard feature among hotels, and is important to me, because I want to be able to sleep during the day if I stay up partying all night.

.....on and on.

You need to research high and low, and ask the hosts, and many of the hosts can't communicate in English.

I am ok with staying at hotels.

• Members

I agree there is no comparison. Get a far nicer place at much less money. I use VRBO also. It takes some work but is always worth the effort. Location is always important to me and frequently I have stayed within a block or two of Five Star Hotels getting 5x what I pay for 1/3 the size. I use them for any stay of 3 days or longer and on occasion even just 2 nights. I rarely rent one without reviews and at least I know the reviews are legitimate and posted only by people who have actually stayed in contrast to Hotels where most reviews are not worth the ink used to write them.

Not only that but most Hosts are a wealth of information on restaurants , sightseeing etc and provide much better information for your stay then any Hotel. Most of my rentals have been equal to or superior to my Home Country Condo.

Complaining about them not showing the prices until you are ready to book is ridiculous. Same exact things with Hotels. They give you the final figure before you pay and that is all you need.

I have used both in New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Spain,Scotland, France , Germany , Poland, Portugal, Thailand, Vietnam and more.

Only in 1 case was the apartment not like described and pictured. Never had a problem with communication and in fact communication has always been better then when I email a Hotel for information.

Airbnb the Host never gets a penny until you check out. I do agree that it can be tedious to contact Airbnb the one time i needed to but their response was adequate when finally reached.

• Members

I'm heading back to Rio in March but think I'd[refer to stay in Ipanema district.

I have only been to Rio once, so I am certainly not knowledgeable. I stayed in Copacabana and it was convenient, many stores and restaurans, and hot guys walking around shirtless. I know the gay beach is in Ipenema and I am sure there are hot guys there too (I also know hot guys don't come free.)

The few times I walked around in Ipenema, it just seemed like a residential area, less commercial than Copa.

I like to know what the advantage is for you to stay in Ipenema.

I have only been to Rio once, so I am certainly not knowledgeable. I stayed in Copacabana and it was convenient, many stores and restaurans, and hot guys walking around shirtless. I know the gay beach is in Ipenema and I am sure there are hot guys there too (I also know hot guys don't come free.)

The few times I walked around in Ipenema, it just seemed like a residential area, less commercial than Copa.

I like to know what the advantage is for you to stay in Ipenema.

From 2001 to 2009 I stayed in Copacabana exclusively. i think it was a case of what you first get comfortable with you tend to stick w and also for the most of that time Corujinhas the hustler restaurant was good and most of the Americans i hung with would go there every night for dinner and to pick up somebody! and it was dead center in Copa, one block from the beach.

starting in 2010 I have stayed in Ipanema and for the last 4 years in the same rental apartment there. I like Ipanema a little better for the following reasons. 1) The apartment i use which I like very much, is very convenient to the Metro(subway)in Ipanema. 2) it's close to the citibank ATM, which i go to daily 3) Ipanema is more upscale area then Copa 4) it's close to the gay beach - Posto 9, as well as the gay bars/restaurants on Rua Farme de Amoedo.

If i couldn't get this apartment i would be comfortable staying back in Copa again, as i said the differences are not major but enough to tip the scales for me in favor of Ipanema. Ipanema is just as commercial, in fact i think more so then Copa and definitely has more 'high end' shops.

Btw, for those who haven't been there, it a contiguous area, I often walk from my apt to my friends place in Copa very close to the Sequiero Campos Merto station across from the Atlantico hotel we all stayed at in the early years and it is about a 15 min walk so either place you stay you are close by taxi or walking.

TomCal, I think you meant to type, "From 2001 to 2009 I stayed in Copacabana exclusively."

Otherwise, your first paragraph is a little confusing.

Thanks!! you are right! i edited it!