TotallyOz

Off Fees

I went to a bar last night and was overcharged for a drink. It got a little under my skin so I asked the mamasan what the price for drinks and offs were. My boyfriend has 3 friends that work in the bar and he took them off the night before and out on the town. They charged 300 baht for off fee but it was supposed to be 250. I asked about this and was told that times were slow and not many customers. I explained that overcharging makes someone not want to go to that bar and I would not go there if the prices were not consistent.

I know that the off fee for Dream Boys in Bangkok is 400. This bar has my favorite mamasan in Thailand. I have never been led astray by her. I know she has an agenda when she sees me as I always buy here a few drinks and I tip very well. But, in return, she makes sure I go home at the end of the night with the guy that is right for me. Once I took a guy from there that did not work out. The next night she asked me about it and I said it was not good. She gave me a free drink and a free off.

Sundance in Pattaya is 200 bath. This is the one place that I have never had try to screw me for drinks or off fees or the like. The owner is quiet but nice. The boys are friendly. The mamasan is sweet and personable. I have never had a wrong tab in this bar. It is now managed by the guys who ran Kaos before and when they were at Kaos, they were also very reliable. I try to get in there every few night for a drink but Jomptien has take over the back row. :)

Dynamite in Boyztown is another place that gets it right every time. I do think the mamasan there is the best that Pattaya has to offer. He is always on top of things and knows every boy that works for him better than any other mamasan in Pattaya.

What other off fees do you encounter?

Do you see different prices for different times of the year?

Guest catawampuscat

Many Thais in the boy bar business seem to think today is the last day of their lives and tomorrow will never come or tomrrow we die.. This type of thinking leads to the boys spending every baht they get their hands on with no thought to tomorrow and saving for a rainy day is just not the philosophy for most of those in this business..

Sometimes, it works out fine as the farangs keep coming and the next one might be some fool with too much money and the party goes on and on..For the boys, age and the life style eventually catch up and off they go to the village and a wife and kids and life on a rice farm..The mamasans know how to survive and keep showing up at the next bar when their welcome wears out..

The problems of bars overcharing and giving incorrect charge are heard all over the world and often when one is drunk, it is a rare boy or girlie bar that gives exact change or doesn't charge a bit extra for things..it is just the way of the world and whether you go or not doesn't cause them any concern as they are not the owners but merely the parasites that feed off what they can and when they can..

Once again, my favorite oxymoron, Thai Logic, comes into play here. While I greatly sympathize with the plight of the bars, I have no sympathy at all for bars that intentionally attempt to cheat their customers, whether they are drunk or sober.

It was explained to Gaythailand that the bar overcharged him because times are tough. Yeah? Well, guess what. Things are tough all over.

First, if the excuse for overcharging is because the bars don't have enough customers, then raise the price or otherwise communicate a higher charge and so so in advance. But don't present me with a trumped up bill and hope I won't notice. How much more money is the bar even going to have by cheating if they have only a few customers each night? If they're really lucky, maybe the equivalent of US $10 to $20?

To my mind, if the waiter or mama-san told me in advance that the usual price of a drink is 120 baht, but they are temporarily charging 140 baht, and explained why, then I would not be upset and I would also have the option of buying the drink or leaving. I would be a return customer under those circumstances. However, if the bar tries cheating me, that's the last time I'd ever be in that bar.

Anyone who reads my posts ought to be well aware that I am sad for the bars that are closing for lack of customers. I truly sympathize with the problem. But if a bar is cheating customers in order to try to remain in business, then I'll be the first one to applaud when the doors close for good.

I'm surprised that the bars don't realize that cheating people is not going to help them. All that's going to do is drive away customers and make the problem even worse. Well, Thai logic strikes again.

Guest jomtien

I went to a bar last night and was overcharged for a drink.

Actually, they were charging you for the space you take up in the bar and just didn't quite know how to tell you. Drinks will now be priced on a space allocation basis. Supplemental charges will be added for slow season, rainy days, white socks, and bad breath.

Guest Steve1903

I don't drink alcohol myself so my complaint is always that I don't see why I'm charged almost as much for a coke as you would be for beer. Just tops it all off when the coke is watered down so much I can see through the glass. That's just taking the $%&* as far as I'm concerned.

Guest PapaDavid

I don't drink alcohol myself so my complaint is always that I don't see why I'm charged almost as much for a coke as you would be for beer. Just tops it all off when the coke is watered down so much I can see through the glass. That's just taking the $%&* as far as I'm concerned.

Why don't you ask for coke by the can or soft drinks by the can or bottle (and insist the can/bottle comes to you unopened)? Works for me every time and at least you are paying a high price for the real thing and not, as you say, half water or other dubious liquid added.

As for the price - like nearly every other bar in the world the bar makes most of it's money from mixers and other soft drinks.

Guest MonkeySee

GayThailand said, "My boyfriend has 3 friends that work in the bar and he took them off the night before and out on the town. They charged 300 baht for off fee but it was supposed to be 250."

This happened to me in one of the beer bars in Sunee. I walked by and saw this beautiful boy. I was not in the mood that time but decided to come back the next day. To make a long story short, he was off the next three times I went looking for him. I finally went early and offed my dream boy but was charged 300 baht instead of 200. A hundred baht is no big deal, but nobody likes to be overcharged. I did enquire why 300 baht? Was told because I did not sit down and buy a drink, the off is 300. Made sense to me and I was satisfied with the answer.

I did enquire why 300 baht? Was told because I did not sit down and buy a drink, the off is 300. Made sense to me and I was satisfied with the answer.

That has happened to me on several occassions. However, we had spent 600 bath on drinks in the bar and it was not the drink charge. It was the greed charge. :)

Guest MonkeySee

I agree GT, there is no excuse for the greed charge. I don't blame you for not going back. Hope they know why they may lose a good customer.

I had another incident with an increased off fee in one of the local go-go bars. After a few drinks with friends, I decided to off a very handsome, smiling, fun-loving boy that I had not seen before. When the bill arrived, an extra 100 baht had been charged. When I asked about it, I was told the boy's off fee was increased because he is the most popular boy. I didn't like it but I paid it. This is Thailand!!!

Guest allieb

Actually Steve

Bars are in business to make money. A beer is usually the cheapest drink in the house. Not always but often people go into bars and nurse a beer for a long time, it lasts longer than a cocktail. You are taking up a seat or space when you order a drink. If I owned a bar I would price soft drinks about the same as a beer I think its fair.

Actually Steve

Bars are in business to make money. A beer is usually the cheapest drink in the house. Not always but often people go into bars and nurse a beer for a long time, it lasts longer than a cocktail. You are taking up a seat or space when you order a drink. If I owned a bar I would price soft drinks about the same as a beer I think its fair.

I agree here. I most of the time, drink water. and it is at least 100 bahts. Except Bangkok of course ...where it is really crazy

And I don't mind paying the same price as I would pay for alcohool.

They are here to make monney. On the other hand, if they try to cheat, that I won't agree with it.

Guest mauRICE

I went to a bar last night and was overcharged for a drink. It got a little under my skin so I asked the mamasan what the price for drinks and offs were. My boyfriend has 3 friends that work in the bar and he took them off the night before and out on the town. They charged 300 baht for off fee but it was supposed to be 250.

Gee, Pattaya's Barbara Hutton got stiffed of a couple hundred baht and gets his pink knickers all in a twist.

Have you considered that your free-spending reputation has preceded you? The harem of five, the expensive toys, allowing your bf to off three of his friends from the same bar in one night, sponsoring American frat boys for holidays in Pattaya, the trips to Tangiers, oops, sorry, Spain...

"Wait a minute," you say, "I VOLUNTEERED to do all that but in this case I had no choice!" And I woud agree with you. They put you in a spot when they presented you with the bill. BUT, try to look at it from their perspective. Pattaya is a very small town. People must know that you're a high roller and and to the Thai way of thinking, a few hundred baht wouldn't matter to you - it shouldn't.

I know it's a matter of principle. But you can't pick and choose the principles you want upheld; the Thais make the rules, we don't. You have established yourself as someone who revels in excess but you get upset when bars increase prices as a result of market adjustments. Does the expression 'penny wise, pound foolish' mean anything to you?

Some might say Pattaya is not a place to look for scruples. Your own experience with your harem should have taught you that and, as I recall, it wasn't too long ago that you took off in a huff on your flying carpet, all disenchanted with Shitsville.

Don't you think your boys talk about you - the tricks they've played on you? Thais at that socio-economic level gloat with glee whenever they successfully put one over a farang. They've been had by their upper crust and need their own crumbs to kick around. By now, probably half of Chonburi knows that you're an easy target and LMTU hasn't even opened his mouth yet.

Sorry, dear, I don't mean to come down hard on you. But I don't want to see our Million Dollar Baby wake up one morning to find himself the Poor Old Daddy, with only a nickel and a dime to his name and an empty store.

"Gee, Pattaya's Barbara Hutton got stiffed of a couple hundred baht and gets his pink knickers all in a twist."

First, how did you know my knickers were pink? Do I know you? :)

"But you can't pick and choose the principles you want upheld;"

Of course I can.

"The harem of five, the expensive toys, allowing your bf to off three of his friends from the same bar in one night,"

Five is not the actual number. :) And, I did allow my bf to off three of his friends. He had fun and then they all came back to my place and laughed at my pink knickers. :)

"you have established yourself as someone who revels in access"

Actually, I hate anyone having access to me. Perhaps you meant excess? :)

"It wasn't too long ago that you took off in a huff, all disenchanted with Shitsville and swearing never to come back."

You must have been smoking something when you read my post dear. I never said I would never come back. I think I said, a few days, weeks or months. It must be that memory thing getting to you again.

"Don't you think your boys talk about you - the tricks they've played on you? "

hehe. I hope so. Would it be any fun for them if they didn't? ;)

I do appreciate your interest in me. Really, I do. Perhaps since I bring you so much entertainment, you could buy me a cheeseburger at Niddys? That is about the closest access I give at the moment. :) I hope the meal would not be to excesive for you. :)

Guest MonkeySee

Steve, I sympathize with you about the non- alcoholic drinks. Limiting the alcohol intake is a goal I have, but unfortunately do not always attain. I have ordered fruit juices in the bar, instead of alcohol, but usually they come out of a small can and cost the same as a Heineken. What's the point? Stick to the Heine and just know when to stop.

Guest ToyFan

No Access!

Aw, gee, GayThailand; you make me feel like a common slut.

Go ahead, say it's a sickness if you want.

I can't help it, I tell you! I can't help it!

My life is all about excess due to easy access.

Life should not be a cul-de-sac, it should be a six-lane highway!

There's no truth to the rumour, I have a toll-booth & turn-stile to my bedroom; by the way,

but I'll admit, when my 8 o'clock is late and my 9 o'clock's early I never send one away, I just give them both a little extra for doing, um, 'community service.'

PS: I wonder what happened re. that bar that tried charging off-fees based time spent off the 'sales lot' and on the road?

If that idea catches on they'll have the boys fitted with odometers.

In some cases pedometers :ninja: might be more appropriate. For ceiling walking, of course.

Providing the customer 'stick to the Heine' as MonkeySee suggested. In which case it would seem you should stop when you become unstuck, would it not.

Guest noy9000

I don't drink alcohol, I don't drink soft drinks too (I'm on a constant diet) - I've the habit of ordering plain water in those bars. I do feel f***ed

Guest francois

Why do people who don't drink alcohol or soda or juice think they should get special treatment in go go bars? It is very simple, Go Go Bars are not free, the price of admission is a drink and all drinks are about the same price. If we did not buy drinks there would be no bars and no boys and no fun. So losen up and spend some baht and enjoy the show. It is a cheap price to pay!

Guest A Rose By Any Other Name

Why do people who don't drink alcohol or soda or juice think they should get special treatment in go go bars? It is very simple, Go Go Bars are not free, the price of admission is a drink and all drinks are about the same price. If we did not buy drinks there would be no bars and no boys and no fun. So losen up and spend some baht and enjoy the show. It is a cheap price to pay!

This is perfect. It answers about three current messages running right now. Francois, you are totally right. Everyone wants everything, but wants to pay nothing. Think about how much a night out a strip joint in the USA would cost. Compare it, contrast it. Much more for your money here.

The Rose

Guest wowpow

Overcharging

So one is sometimes overcharged in a Thai go-go or host bar. Crumbs I expected that everywhere when I first came to Thailand but had forgotten.

Some Bangkok bars are known to be confused as to the day of the week and charge the weekend supplement price on weekdays. To ensure that farangs don't get to know what's going on, prices are never published.

The Thai logic of "we don't have many customers so we have to charge more" is logical if weird. It was the answer that I got in a seedy bar with puny boys, in Hat Yai where they charged 500 baht for a lousy massage and wanted 1000 baht for sex.

Off Fees

In my early days in Thailand I fell heavily in lust with the Manager of Blue Star - 6'2" of macho joy. I offed him for a holiday in Cha Am and the owner charged me 1200 baht a day because of the 'inconvenience'.

Waiters, barmen, masseurs, mamasans and door men attract a supplement of 100 or 200 baht due to the 'inconvenience'.

Drinks

Adulterating drinks seems fairly commonplace, especially boy drinks. I thought that was one reason for drinking beer from the bottle as it makes it difficult to mess with the contents.

Some bars used to charge a supplement for the first drink to cover the show and gazing at the dancers. Drinks after that were reasonably priced and more drinking took place. This seems to have faded away. I think the highest go-go bar drink prices are at Dream Boys Bangkok 270 baht on Fridays and Saturdays and one of the best values in a smart go-go bar is Krazy Dragon at 95 baht.

Asking for the can or bottle of a soft drink is wise.

As with off fees, bars never seem to publish their drink prices.

The other thing is drink sizes. Future Boys Bangkok serves strong very large drinks. Boyz Boyz Boyz seems to serve rather small ones. At least these two bars do serve you what you order.

I have known bars charge you for a drink even if you don't have one but go in and immediately off a boy.

Don't forget that nowadays your change will be presented in a folder and a tip is expected and most often they get 20 baht. The Thai habit of leaving the loose change has been compromised by some bars which always put 4 x 10 baht coins in the change when possible.

We have covered the topic of supplemental charges for boy drinks elsewhere on this board.

Some bars insist that if a boy sits with you then you must buy him a drink or they take him away. I think Toy Boys and Gaycuna do In other bars there is great pressure.

The Colour Pink

In Thailand this does not seem to have any suggestion of effeminacy and one will often see a Thai man with pink flip flops, pants ot shirt. Gaythailand must have frilly pink knickers to have caused giggles - or maybe see through lace?

Summary

All these niggles are small and the glorious benefits of living or visiting Thailand are huge. Mai Pen Rai.