Thumper1

Gay Violence UP in RIO

• Members

"The anti-gay violence, they contend, can be traced to Brazil’s culture of machismo and a brand of evangelical Christianity, exported from the United States, that is outspoken in its opposition to homosexuality."

So it's the fault of the United States.  What bullshit.

I'm not endorsing the Violence against Gays in Rio...Just want Brazil to own its own guilt.

• Members

It's certainly been one of my favorite destinations. I have always felt safe. I was there in September, as was Zika. If I got it, I sure didn't know it. Most people don't react to it at all. As for crime, yes, economic conditions have worsened, and people see our comparatively lavish lifestyles.

So we need to be more cautious. It wouldn't hurt to be more generous as well.

• Members

Feeling safe is a matter of degree. Do you feel safe every time you go to an ATM machine?  If you do , you should not.

Do you feel safe at midnight 1 or 2 blocks removed from the beach. Again you should not.

How many places do you go where you have to remove all jewelry, watches and iPhones to feel safe.

I get that if you are a Sauna lover then there is nothing to compare with Brazil but I never felt completely safe there in 5 trips and although honestly that is not the reason I stopped visiting , it is certainly a reason I would consider before returning.

As in most things the Odds are with you but it does not mean that the odds are not a lot worse there then many other destinations.

From everything I read, things are much worse then they have been in many years . 

For the experienced visitor that is one decision but for the inexperienced visitor those realities need to be taken into consideration.

Guest parisrio2000

There's no evidence violence against gays is up because of them being gay or as an anti-gay thing. Read the article, they present no evidence. They just use some examples of violence committed against gay men, with no evidence that they were targeted because they were gay, to try to score some points against "evangelical religion" and "machismo." This is pathetic.

The truth is that many gay men get themselves into very dangerous situations with rentboys, drugs, or other gay men, and may experience higher rates of violence because of this. This was the case of the famous "Matthew Sheppard" who was killed over a drug deal gone wrong, and one of the guys who killed him was a gay fuckbuddy of his. But that was all hidden by the media at the time.

There's no violence against gays or transexuals as such in Brazil. Again trannies may experience violence because many are street prostitutes, as all who visit Gloria and other parts of Rio know. There are no gangs of "evangelical" Brazilians targeting gays, this is a ridiculous slur. Brazil has huge problems with violence caused by people from favelas, no need to invent this issue.