Guest lurkerspeaks

Name your Five Funniest TV shows

Guest lurkerspeaks

Just to show we all have varied tastes, yet hopefully we can share our thoughts and discover something new... Name your five funniest tv series...Can be sitcoms, variety shows, etc.. just any series that provided great comedy when it was aired, and (hopefully) entertained many more generations thru reruns, videos, etc..

Here are mine to start with:

1) I Love Lucy

2) The Carol Burnett Show

3) The Golden Girls

4) Roseanne

5) SNL

• Members

I agree with those listed already.  I've seen all of the above except Curb Your Enthusiasm and Red Skelton and only bits and pieces of Show of Shows.  I'll have to investigate those.

I've really enjoyed the English comedies like:

1. Fawelty Towers
  2. Yes Minister
  3. Yes Prime Minister

1 hour ago, BigK said:

I agree with those listed already.  I've seen all of the above except Curb Your Enthusiasm and Red Skelton and only bits and pieces of Show of Shows.  I'll have to investigate those.

I've really enjoyed the English comedies like:

1. Fawelty Towers
  2. Yes Minister
  3. Yes Prime Minister

YES!

And of course...!

a29572c9f2e509a30f2ee1034824cc82--are-yo

• Members

One thing that made the Shows of Shows so spectacular was the ad libbing by Sid Caesar who frequently broke up Carl Reiner and others in the cast.  He and Imogene Coca were spell binding together.  I believe these shows were live and some or most not likely preserved in any way.  I would like to be wrong about this.

Best regards,

RA1

3 hours ago, RA1 said:

One thing that made the Shows of Shows so spectacular was the ad libbing by Sid Caesar who frequently broke up Carl Reiner and others in the cast.  He and Imogene Coca were spell binding together.  I believe these shows were live and some or most not likely preserved in any way.  I would like to be wrong about this.

Best regards,

RA1

Actually I think most of them do persist, on the studios' own Kinescope film recordings, captured from the very TV screen upon broadcast. Or, actually, the Kinescope capture in real time of what the camera was delivering out its monitor?

One or two 'lost' Dark Shadows episodes were retrieved that way. Although in those cases from retrieval of some local TV studio's Kinescope.

But I think my intuition toward your question is also correct.

Who knows?!

• Members

Wiki says that at least some of the Kinescopes exist.  All of the original scripts seemingly exist although what Sid did was NOT in the scripts. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

3 hours ago, RA1 said:

Wiki says that at least some of the Kinescopes exist.  All of the original scripts seemingly exist although what Sid did was NOT in the scripts. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Sid and Imogene, and then Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman and etc., were indeed a breed apart.

As too was Gleason.

65a7d1f54846f6de30a494ce4d8b1c69--audrey

Guest Evan24

The Comeback (Most underrated show ever <3 )
Friends
South Park
The Simpsons
The League of Gentlemen

I'd have put The Big Bang Theory based on series 1-4 (maybe 5 at a stretch) but it became so awful that I just couldn't.

• Members

Being Canadian my top 5 are:

1. SCTV (alumni are Martin Short, John Candy, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara, Dave Thomas, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Mike Myers, Dan Ackroyd ...)

2. Kids in the Hall

3. Codco

4. Baroness von Sketch

5. This Hour has 22 Minutes

Guest bobbalino
17 hours ago, Evan24 said:

The Comeback (Most underrated show ever <3 )
Friends.     South Park.    The Simpsons.        The League of Gentlemen.

And while we are on Lisa Kudrow (The Comeback) her knee-slapping turn as Fiona Wallice, a counsellor breaking all the rules in the book in Web Therapy, a surprisingly high volume of episodes. 

Veep for the writing and ensemble cast, though scattering the team of characters into different contexts recently made it a little disjointed.

Louis CK.

Third Rock from the Sun, if even just for John Lithgow and select supportings doing Lord of the Dance.

... Ojibear, as a fellow Canuck I'm afraid I have to go with CNN, albeit in small doses.