TotallyOz

Oprah for President

• Members
14 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

If WJC had mongered a little more war, we might not have had 9/11.

I am not sure about 9/11 but seemingly world affairs could have been improved had he done so.  However, I have a couple of theories.  One, Presidents don't have as much influence as many think.  Two, their term swims or sinks primarily as a result of the preceding President's actions, policies, etc.  i.e. Clinton was the beneficiary of Bush 1 and Bush 2 suffered from Clinton, etc.

Best regards,

RA1

10 minutes ago, BiBottomBoy said:

That's not Clinton's fault.

The fault in the response lies with Cheney and Rummie.

i am one of those rabid-righties who grow more and more affectionate for GWB, for navigating truly impossible circumstances (9/11, economic implosion, automotive industry meltdown, Medicare reform...) The best that was possible in the times.

Heresy! :lol:

• Members
3 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

What did Clinton do to make him suffer?

The theory supposes something along these lines:  Bush 1 suffered a mild recession during which he initiated steps to correct which came fully into play during Clinton's time.  Clinton enjoyed boom times but failed to address the housing bubble (and other problems) which resulted in Bush 2's problems.  

Best regards,

RA1

2 hours ago, RA1 said:

The theory supposes something along these lines:  Bush 1 suffered a mild recession during which he initiated steps to correct which came fully into play during Clinton's time.  Clinton enjoyed boom times but failed to address the housing bubble (and other problems) which resulted in Bush 2's problems.  

Best regards,

RA1

Those Other Problems include that Clinton gladly presided over the criminal dismantling of Glass-Steagall, the other root, together with the housing bubble, of the 2008 Great Collapse.

• Members
4 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Those Other Problems include that Clinton presided over the dismantling of Glass-Steagall, the other leg of the 2008 Great Collapse.

The list goes on and on and is still being added to.  :(

Best regards,

RA1

9 hours ago, RA1 said:

The list goes on and on and is still being added to.  :(

Best regards,

RA1

Look, he was a Democrat. He was being asked to fly with 20,000-lb-weights on his wings.

He did pass Workfare through his own vastly hostile caucus, which turned out to work.

And no less than Greenspan said in his autobiography that he was somewhat astounded at the way Clinton could work his own party's Congresscritters on the phone -- every night, from 7pm to way past midnight -- to bring them round to positions that would at least bring the minimum # of Repubs around to get SOMETHING done on this or that thing.

I think WJC was our most pragmatic pres since FDR. In FDR's first 2 terms.

Other than Eisenhower.

I suspect what you will reply to that, so I will summarily disagree. ^_^

Jeff Flake expected to deliver floor speech comparing Trump's attacks on media to Stalin's

(CNN)Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona is expected to deliver a floor speech on Wednesday in which he will compare President Donald Trump's attacks on the news media to the rhetoric of late Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin.
According to an excerpt of the speech, Flake will criticize the President for calling the news media the "enemy of the people," calling it "an assault as unprecedented as it is unwarranted."
"Mr. President, it is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own President uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies," reads the excerpt. "It bears noting that so fraught with malice was the phrase 'enemy of the people,' that even Nikita Khrushchev forbade its use, telling the Soviet Communist Party that the phrase had been introduced by Stalin for the purpose of 'annihilating such individuals' who disagreed with the supreme leader."
Flake's prepared speech goes on to say the President's actions should be "a great source of shame" for the Senate and the members of the Republican Party.

"The free press is the despot's enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy," Flake's remarks say. "When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn't suit him 'fake news,' it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press."
Flake, who announced he will not be seeking re-election in 2018, has said he will use his remaining time in the Senate to speak out against the President when he believes it is warranted.
A frequent critic of Trump, Flake announced his decision to retire in a Senate speech in October that bemoaned the "coarsening" tenor of politics in the United States and criticized his own party's "complicity" with Trump's behavior.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Members
11 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

Look, he was a Democrat. He was being asked to fly with 20,000-lb-weights on his wings.

He did pass Workfare through his own vastly hostile caucus, which turned out to work.

And no less than Greenspan said in his autobiography that he was somewhat astounded at the way Clinton could work his own party's Congresscritters on the phone -- every night, from 7pm to way past midnight -- to bring them round to positions that would at least bring the minimum # of Repubs around to get SOMETHING done on this or that thing.

I think WJC was our most pragmatic pres since FDR. In FDR's first 2 terms.

Other than Eisenhower.

I suspect what you will reply to that, so I will summarily disagree. ^_^

No need to summarily disagree.  We can agree to disagree.  ^_^  You bring up the ghost of LBJ who could work congress critters to a fare thee well.  Getting something done is not always best, is it?

Best regards,

RA1