Gaybutton

Pattaya Announces Measures to Help Stranded Tourists

The following two articles appear in PATTAY ONE:

_____

Emergency Meeting Discusses Local Assistance for Stranded International Tourists

On Thursday Afternoon, Khun Mongkol, the Chief of Banglamung District chaired an emergency meeting to discuss the currently situation in Bangkok and the affect on Tourists residing here in Pattaya following the closure of Suvanabumi Airport.

The District Chief announced that Pattaya City Hall and Banglamung City Hall’s can be contacted by Tourists who are stranded here in Pattaya following the airport closure which could last for some time. For the latest information the Pattaya City Call Center 1337 can be contacted and for those who need to leave Thailand urgently can also contact 1337 and decisions on whether to accommodate requests to leave Thailand urgently will be decided case-by-case by an emergency committee which has been set up.

U-tapao Airport in Sattahip is still operating and can be used. So if you are stranded here in Pattaya and have problems with money or visas or if you require any advice regarding the use of other forms of transport to leave Thailand please call 1337.

Tourists Stranded in Pattaya Wonder when the Bangkok Protests will End

Because of the Airport closures in Bangkok, thousands of foreign tourists are stranded here in Thailand. Many have come to Pattaya to wait for news regarding their flights. Many are angry, some have resigned themselves to the fact they are stuck here and are making the most of their extended holidays.

It is clear that whenever the PAD protests at the airports come to an end, there will not be an immediate re-opening as security at both airports have been breached and damage has been caused. There were reports of some International Journalists walking onto the tarmac and up to parked planes with no signs of any security in place. Everyone is now wondering what the next move will be as the Army appear not to support the idea of using force to disperse the protesters and the Police have also claimed they will not use force.

Some tourists are running out of money and others now have expired visas. Tourists with expired visas should make their way to the Immigration Office located in Soi 5 off Jomtien Beach Road where we understand that if evidence is produced to confirm they have been forced to remain here because of the problems, free visa extensions will be given.

Many are hoping that the nearby U-Tapao Military Airport in Sattahip will be used for international flights, however due to the size of the airport it is unlikely that regular international flights will be possible. If you require urgent repatriation you must contact your Embassy who will listen to your case and make a judgment if an urgent evacuation from Thailand is required.

Other options such as traveling to Cambodia or Laos by road are also being considered by some Tourists at this time.

And this, from the PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

_____

THOUSANDS OF STRANDED TOURISTS AWAIT FLIGHTS HOME AT PATTAYA HOTELS

Thai Airways have brought tourists from two airports in Bangkok to temporarily check in at the Ambassador Hotel Jomtien and a few more hotels nearby before flying back to their countries from U-tapao airport.

At 00.20 am. on 29th November 2008, our reporter was informed that over ten thousands tourists were waiting to check in at the Ambassador Hotel Jomtien, in front of the hotel and inside the Ocean Wings building.

Mr. Anusak Rodbunmee, the hotel General Manager said the hotel has total of 4000 rooms but some of these have already been booked and could only offer 1,300 rooms for this urgent matter. Other hotels nearby had been approached and offered their rooms at a special rate. Mr. Tanasan Sarakol, the general manager of the Best Western Bella Villa said they will offer a 50% discount for tourists who are waiting for their flights. The first two flights Thai Airways could organise from U-Tapao were to Japan and Paris

According to our information all the tourists' expenses including hotel accommodation and food would be paid for by Thai Airways. Reporters had noticed that some of tourists had run out of money and could not even pay for their drinks.

Pattaya Bangkok Hospital also joined in to help by offering their ambulances and other services to patients (tourists) who needed help. 30 people had been treated yesterday but so far no one has requested treatment for any serious conditions.

Mr. Akarawit Tepalak, Deputy Director of Pattaya Tourism Authority of Thailand, said that TAT, all concerned officials and local private companies have co-operatively set up an urgent care center at TAT office, Pratumnak Road, Banglamung open 24 hrs since 28th November. The center can be contacted at tel: 038-428750, 427667, 089-0999726, and Email:tatchon@tat.or.th.

There are now over 100,000 tourists stranded in Thailand awaiting flights home and PDN has received unconfirmed reports that they will be receiving 2000 baht per day in compensation from the Thai government.

Here is what the US Embassy reports with regard to the Bt2000

Information for American Citizens - November 29, 2008

The Thai Foreign Ministry has arranged for credited compensation for stranded foreign travelers. This compensation consists of 2000 Thai baht credit per day for hotels and meals at those hotels. It is our understanding that this credit is available at any hotel in Bangkok (guest houses and serviced apartments are not included). Americans who have been unable to depart because their flight was cancelled due to the closure of the airports should show a copy of their passport and air ticket to the hotel front desk for the 2000 baht per day credit to be deducted from their bill.

------------------

I assume if this applies to Bangkok hotels it probably also applies to Pattaya hotels. I of course decided to stay at a serviced apartment type hotel so it looks like I may be out of luck but I definitely plan to check on that.

I assume if this applies to Bangkok hotels it probably also applies to Pattaya hotels. I of course decided to stay at a serviced apartment type hotel so it looks like I may be out of luck but I definitely plan to check on that.

My interpretation is that it applies anywhere in Thailand. Not everyone stranded is in Bangkok. The Ambassador Hotel, just south of Pattaya, according to the article is full. But they do tell you to show the hotel your evidence of being stranded and the hotel will credit you with up to 2000 baht per day applied to room and food. That's not bad at all. That should be more than enough to cover the cost of the room and food unless you're going to stay at one of the high end expensive hotels. You might want to check to see if any of the gay hotels are honoring the offer. As long as you're stuck, you might as well enjoy it.

If a serviced apartment will honor that, obviously it won't include food since they have no restaurant. However, you might want to call one of the TAT numbers or dial 1337 to find out what to do about food. If you can't get through, the TAT office is open 24 hours a day now and you might a well go there.

If any readers here are stranded in Pattaya, I have a car. If you need any help, all you have to do is contact me and I'll do what I can for you. Just send an Email to me at gaybutton@gmail.com . That's the quickest way to contact me. If you have a telephone number and let me know what it is, I'll call you. If you don't have a phone, let me know that and I'll reply to your Email with my number. If you need any help, once you have my number feel free to call me at any hour, day or night. I don't mind that at all, even if you have a need to contact me in the wee hours. It's not a problem for me.