Lucky

Buddies- First AIDS Movie Available Again

• Members

The NY Times today reports on the new Blu-Ray DVD of the film Buddies, first shown at the Castro Theater in San Francisco in 1985. Its director, Arthur J. Bressan, Jr., made the film

without knowing that he had the AIDS virus. He died in July, 1987. The film has two actors, Geoff Edholm, 32 at the time, played a gay man dying of AIDS. David Schacter played a 25-year old volunteer who became a buddy to Edholm's character. Edholm died of AIDS in 1989.

Although I lived in San Francisco throughout the horrific days of the AIDS crisis, I did not see the movie. It never came out on video, and, as the times article points out, few wanted to go from caring for people with AIDS to seeing a movie about it. I hope that I never forget those days. The community was closer than it has ever been.

The Times article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/movies/first-aids-movie-gay-drama-buddies.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmovies&action=click&contentCollection=movies&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=16&pgtype=sectionfront