Riobard

Rio de Janeiro in dribs and drabs

• Members

I have eaten at all ten or so sit-down dining establishments in central Gloria, district as encircled in yellow. EXCEPT Casa da Suiça in the Swiss Consulate, a restaurant that is now permanently closed. 

My favourite is Grégora Arte directly across the street from Clube 117. Dined there a few dozen times, never a disappointing meal whether 'fixed price' lunch, a snack, or dinner. I find that the preparation has a little more flair, and the meat is not overly salted. They also stock a large selection of imported European brews.

Along with the regular menu card, there is always a fish, beef, chicken, and vegetarian lunch special selection. It is often fully occupied. 

The streetside patio is nicely shaded and quite comfortable on hot days. 

It is walkable for me. I think many 117 visitors have bypassed it because they often shoot out of the club like a bat out of hell and want to get to their more conventional tourist districts. Unfortunate, that, if one is hungry and has time prior to the final subway run. 

IMG_7291.PNG

IMG_7287.PNG

• Members
17 hours ago, Riobard said:

It is walkable for me. I think many 117 visitors have bypassed it because they often shoot out of the club like a bat out of hell and want to get to their more conventional tourist districts. Unfortunate, that, if one is hungry and has time prior to the final subway run. 

Yep, that was me! If I knew it was there I would have gone.

• Members

A few days ago, just prior to leaving Brazil to return north for the holidays, a funny and teachable-moment (for me) story:

The club staff groups are basically broken into reception, refreshments, and cleaning/lockerroom. In the last group exists a young lad with whom I am on a first-name hug/kiss basis, as many of you are. We typically exchange a few words in his flawless, and my pathetic, Portuguese. 

I know his full name, but my account of events does not require identifying him.

These workers earn a few USD per hour. As an aside, they appreciate and deserve cash gratuities of any amount. You see them, know their names, respect them without shoving their likely poverty in their face, and as a possible offshoot bonus if you misplace your prescription glasses, phone, etc, they will be all over it. 

Well, the pace happened to be slow and we had an extended, relaxed conversation in which he rescued my deficiencies by breaking into fluent barely-accented English!

I do think he is a rarity but it should not have taken me a number of years to discover his multilingualism. 

He indicated that within our previous brief exchanges he did not want to thwart my attempts to get my words across, albeit massacring the language (this last bit my own admission).

The End.