kjun12

Phuket

• Members

On my recent visit a taxi driver wanted 800 baht but finally agreed on 500 baht.  when we got to the destination he demanded 800 baht and I refused. A discussion ensued and we were soon surrounded by several other taxi drivers who took my drivers side and demanded I give him the 800 baht.  I felt very physically intimidated and gave the money.  We had decided to go to an island off of Phuket the next day but I backed out because I just did not feel like it.  My friends negotiated a fee of 2500 baht but once at the island the boat driver demanded another 1000 baht or he would just leave them at the island.  They paid him.  The people of Phuket are shake-down artist and I'll have none of it.  I just wont go back.

I love the beauty of Phuket. But, I always have a Thai BF with me there to negotiate and EVEN then it is a PITA. I got around this years back when I started to hire a car by day and they stayed with me day and night.  It was well worth it as the taxi scams are a pain.  But, just about all vendors will try to upsell you on something.  It is often frustrating.  That said, if you have never been, it is magic and beautiful and a must see if you are new to Thailand.  For me, I have little desire for another visit.

• Members

was there only once about two or three years ago for only about two days with a US travel friend......the island itself is not utterly attractive, a mix of scrubby vegetation and uninspiring topography......west-facing beaches have great sunsets and can be very nice, especially the less-developed ones, but I found a light-moderate amount of trash on the popular tourist beach we were on (Bangtao).......we went to Bangla Rd in Patong just to see it one evening and I gotta admit it was pretty damn fun.....we did not have time to go see the popular islands off Phuket.....

taxis are relatively expensive compared to other Thai locations, but it's a captive audience and not bad compared to other large world cities......the physical geography of the entire island lends itself to pricey transport as the attractions and hotels are all several miles from each other and/or the airport......I suppose many visitors primarily stay all day at their "resort" and only occasionally set out on a planned tour at a fixed price.....to avoid the taxi rackets, I guess one can try to deal with a reputable local tour agency for daytrips, the hotel concierge, or travel with a tour group......

I don't need to go back......