TotallyOz

Words Matter

I don't think I have experienced a time in my lifetime where the statement "words matter" is so relevant. They have always mattered but with the current President, they have become more divisive and more important.  I realize he does not know this or does not care, but they are important.

In Turkey, the denials from the Saudi government over the murder of a US resident journalist were important. The denials kept coming and the lies kept coming. The Saudi people believed their government until this. Will this change their minds?  

The MeToo movement has taught us one thing for sure, that words matter. What you say, how you say it and where you say it is relevant. 

When I grew up, the saying that "sticks and stones may break your bones but words may never hurt you" was repeated often.  However, somewhere along the way, this changed. Or, was it always the same?

Words do matter.

• Members

IMO, I have always thought words matter. I learned that lesson very early in life, and I assumed everyone learned the same lesson. Since Trump does not read (unless his name is mentioned numerous times), it's easy to see why he failed.

• Members

I have always thought that words matter.  I also think Trump definitely thinks words matter and, in fact. depends upon same.  However, I learned a long time ago that the same words do not matter the same to different people.  I once delivered an aircraft to a college professor in NC.  He accepted the aircraft as is, where is (after inspection).  Later he decided that a radio was not working properly.  I took the position that the aircraft was delivered and accepted.  He continued to claim the radio should work.  After going back and forth about this a few times it dawned on me that we were arguing about two different things.  He was offered a couple hundred dollars which he accepted and was thereafter happy.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
On 10/29/2018 at 10:45 AM, Tartegogo said:

The British have a system where members of the cabinet are not allowed to lie to parliament or the public, to deceive them into making a decision that helps the prime minister’s purposes  

That sort of laws could be implemented everywhere. 

Perhaps Shakespeare had this very system in mind when he wrote:

"But to my mind, though I am native here And to the manner born, it is a custom More honored in the breach than in the observance."