mvan1

Boy Erased - movie now released - gay conversion "therapy"

• Members

TRUE STORY - 

77,000 gays in the U.S. currently undergoing "conversion therapy" -

Incredible how stupid some people in society are for believing that torture is "therapy" or that it works to convert gays to straight- 

also 

Excellent film, try to see it.  Check Google for location and dates showing. 

• Members
4 hours ago, Lucky said:

Naturally I oppose gay conversion therapy, but do I want to see it in action by seeing this movie? Sure, the boy is cute, but do I want to see him suffer? I don't think so.

The film is an enactment of a real life story.  

Unfortunately, this type of madness (conversion therapy) is happening everyday in the U.S.

Even the vice president (Pence) has expressed his favor of this nonsensical treatment (not surprised).  

The film is intended to educate the public about the misconception that gays can be "cured" through bizarre "treatment"

The film is not intended for those who feel they would be uncomfortable watching the film.  By all means, you should avoid a film that will make you uncomfortable.  

• Members
9 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

Mvan it's actually illegal in the US now.

So this movie is going to be historical.

Of course they could always bring it back.

Hi, BBB - 

I wish you were correct about it being illegal, but it isn't. 

However, you are, partially correct.  

It is illegal, in some states, to put a minor through the bizarre "conversion" "therapy"

It is still legal to put an adult through such a process.

Maybe, one day, such a practice will stop, but I doubt it.   Considering there is a sitting vice president of the U.S. calling for such an outrageous process, it is not likely to be banned nationwide.  Bigotry remains, alive and well in many places!

Here is a link that shows which states ban the "therapy" on minors and which still allow it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._jurisdictions_banning_conversion_therapy_for_minors

As you can see from the chart shown in the above link, the majority of states allow such madness.  Currently, there are more than 77,000 victims going through that barbaric ineffective process.

It is obvious that money has a lot to do with facilities that render this type of useless "therapy".

In the meantime, the film is doing very well in theaters.  The film opened this month to the general public.  

• Members
32 minutes ago, BiBottomBoy said:

God damn. I thought I'd read they'd banned it.

Would an adult actually want to go  through it?

Sometimes they have no choice. 

Or, sometimes they are misguided into believing it will work for them - 

Or, sometimes family pressure will make them go simply because their family believes it will "cure" the gay person.  

Or, take the example of a gay getting arrested for soliciting a male hustler or a cop posing as a hustler, and being arrested.  Instead of being compelled to go to jail, the arrested gay will agree to go through that bizarre "therapy" that does not work. 

The "therapy, however, does work for bringing in lots of revenue for those who operate those bogus facilities.  

Take a look at the below quotation from the New York Times written earlier this year about this hideous process - 

"But it didn’t stop with these hurtful talk-therapy sessions. The therapist ordered me bound to a table to have ice, heat and electricity applied to my body. I was forced to watch clips on a television of gay men holding hands, hugging and having sex. I was supposed to associate those images with the pain I was feeling to once and for all turn into a straight boy. In the end it didn’t work".

Here is the full article taken from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/opinion/gay-conversion-therapy-torture.html

See the movie at your risk of being depressed.

• Members
7 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

Wait. A court could sentence you to it?

"Or, take the example of a gay getting arrested for soliciting a male hustler or a cop posing as a hustler, and being arrested.  Instead of being compelled to go to jail, the arrested gay will agree to go through that bizarre "therapy" that does not work."

No, the court would not sentence anyone to this.  

What I wrote (copied above) is "Instead of being compelled to go to jail, the arrested gay will agree to go through that bizarre therapy as a form of alternative sentence.  

Going through that "therapy" is a compromise or "plea deal" with a court. 

• Members

Prosecutors and courts used to give young offenders the choice of 'voluntary' enlistment in the military or prison. Lately the army has gotten prissy about taking in known felons, so now-a-days, not so much.

• Members
33 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

Looking forward to seeing it.  I doubt it will come to Thailand but maybe. (otherwise, iTunes one day)

You don't have to wait for the film to come to Thailand to see it.  

You can order the film from Amazon.com

All you need is a DVD player and some friends to watch the film with you.  

Here is a link to the film order section of Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Erased-Blu-ray/dp/B07JX4SHRZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542246486&sr=8-1&keywords=film+-+erased

By the way, after you open the above link, click on the review that one person wrote after seeing the film.  The review is very well written and touching.  The reviewer ended his narrative by stating that conversion "therapy" is akin to "Trying to fix something that’s not broken."

What is wrong with our world?

• Members
12 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

Thanks but it says for me, not available yet.

The film just became available in theaters this month (11-2-2018).   

There is a short delay before the film is made available on DVD then on Amazon.

Ebay sells the book - but I think it is better to see the film. 

In a month or so, ebay will have the DVD - 

Here is a link to ebay's sale of the book - which will eventually advertise the DVD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boy-Erased-A-Memoir-by-Conley-Garrard/132842157718?epid=219177669&hash=item1eee027696:rk:5:pf:0