Lucky

The Trump Tax Cut

• Members

So I finally calculated my taxes, and I owe about $1600 on top of what was withheld. That's amazing. Before my partner and I married, we owed no taxes. The marriage penalty kicked in and we had to pay some. The elimination of the personal exemptions hurt the middle and lower class. I don't know anyone who has received  significant cut. It appears the rich won this one.

Edited by Lucky

• Members

:P

And this was a surprise?

------

Part of the problem for the GOP is that Treasury massaged the withholding formulas so that folks getting a pay check  would see some small increase from their "tax cut". Of course  the shit hit the fan this year when people who usually got a nice sized refund, found they got squat or even owed money. 

You would think that some clever guy in the administration would have figured out that it was precisely  their own base base who most often use their with-holding as a painless forced savings scheme. No vacation money, no new sofa for mama, no down payment for a pickup (or new tires for the old one).  The base is pissed!