kjun12

Following a Topic

• Members

Sounds like you may have missed the Priority feature that @TotallyOz installed in the last software upgrade.  It’s a pulldown menu that lets you determine your level of notification for new posts.  :rolleyes:

The default is Level 1 and it’s pretty hit-or-miss.  I expect that’s what you got.

Level 2 makes sure you get a notification within 30 seconds of a new post showing up.

Level 3 adds a siren sound which comes through even if your computer or phone is switched off.

And Level 4 hooks you into the IPAWS Emergency Alert System and all your connected  phone, computer and TV devices will sound off within three seconds of a new post.  That’s the one I signed up for and I’m glad I did, as I was following one of @AdamSmith's poop threads at the time.

Even so, I’d be reluctant to sign up for Level 5.  :unsure:

6a00d8341c652b53ef017d40efa420970c-800wi

5 hours ago, lookin said:

Sounds like you may have missed the Priority feature that @TotallyOz installed in the last software upgrade.  It’s a pulldown menu that lets you determine your level of notification for new posts.  :rolleyes:

The default is Level 1 and it’s pretty hit-or-miss.  I expect that’s what you got.

Level 2 makes sure you get a notification within 30 seconds of a new post showing up.

Level 3 adds a siren sound which comes through even if your computer or phone is switched off.

And Level 4 hooks you into the IPAWS Emergency Alert System and all your connected  phone, computer and TV devices will sound off within three seconds of a new post.  That’s the one I signed up for and I’m glad I did, as I was following one of @AdamSmith's poop threads at the time.

Even so, I’d be reluctant to sign up for Level 5.  :unsure:

6a00d8341c652b53ef017d40efa420970c-800wi

Why does following a poop thread sound like maybe not the thing to do, in any given construct?

:angel:

• Members
2 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

Why does following a poop thread sound like maybe not the thing to do, in any given construct?

:angel:

The Wart did not know what to do. He did not know whether it would be safe to go up to this knight, for there were so many terrible things in the forest that even the knight might be a ghost. Most ghostly he looked, too, as he hoved meditating on the confines of the gloom. Eventually the boy made up his mind that even if it were a ghost, it would be the ghost of a knight, and knights were bound by their vows to help people in distress.

"Excuse me," he said, when he was right under the mysterious figure, "but can you tell me the way back to Sir Ector's castle?"

At this the ghost jumped, so that it nearly fell off its horse, and gave out a muffled baaa through its visor, like a sheep.

"Excuse me," began the Wart again, and stopped, terrified, in the middle of his speech.

For the ghost lifted up its visor, revealing two enormous eyes frosted like ice; exclaimed in an anxious voice, "What, what?"; took off its eyes--which turned out to be hornrimmed spectacles, fogged by being inside the helmet; tried to wipe them on the horse's mane--which only made them worse; lifted both hands above its head and tried to wipe them on its plume; dropped its lance; dropped the spectacles; got off the horse to search for them--the visor shutting in the process; lifted its visor; bent down for the spectacles; stood up again as the visor shut once more, and exclaimed in a plaintive voice, "Oh, dear!"

The Wart found the spectacles, wiped them, and gave them to the ghost, who immediately put them on (the visor shut at once) and began scrambling back on its horse for dear life. When it was there it held out its hand for the lance, which the Wart handed up, and, feeling all secure, opened the visor with its left hand, and held it open. It peered at the boy with one hand up-- like a lost mariner searching for land--and exclaimed, "Ah-hah! Whom have we here, what?"

"Please," said the Wart, "I am a boy whose guardian is Sir Ector."

"Charming fellah," said the Knight. "Never met him in me life."

"Can you tell me the way back to his castle?"

"Faintest idea. Stranger in these parts meself."

"I am lost," said the Wart.

"Funny thing that. Now I have been lost for seventeen years.

"Name of King Pellinore," continued the Knight. "May have heard of me, what?" The visor shut with a pop, like an echo to the What, but was opened again immediately. "Seventeen years ago, come Michaelmas, and been after the Questing Beast ever since. Boring, very."

"I should think it would be," said the Wart, who had never heard of King Pellinore, nor of the Questing Beast, but he felt that this was the safest thing to say in the circumstances.

"It is the Burden of the Pellinores," said the King proudly. "Only a Pellinore can catch it-- that is, of course, or his next of kin. Train all the Pellinores with that idea in mind. Limited eddication, rather. Fewmets, and all that."

"I know what fewmets are," said the boy with interest. "They are the droppings of the beast pursued. The harborer keeps them in his horn, to show to his master, and can tell by them whether it is a warrantable beast or otherwise, and what state it is in."

"Intelligent child," remarked the King. "Very. Now I carry fewmets about with me practically all the time.

"Insanitary habit," he added, beginning to look dejected, "and quite pointless. Only one Questing Beast, you know, so there can't be any question whether she is warrantable or not."

- The Once and Future King, T. H. White