PeterRS

Gay app fridae warning

A word of warning for those who have been transferred from the US site.

For around a decade one of the best on line apps for meeting up with young gay Asians both around the continent and sometimes in other countries was fridae. Founded by a Singaporean, it used to be a paid site with an annual subscription of around $45 giving you access to what was claimed as 500,000 members. I joined around 2005 and found it a great site, well worth the subscription.

Not sure when it happened but perhaps around 8 years ago it was sold to a business concern. Quickly it went downhill and I left the site. Now it is all but dead and subscription is free but a waste of time. Examples.

1. Check on who is online from various countries ar any one time. This will always show between 1,600 and 1,800 - always. It recently included 59 members allegedly in Afghanistan and 60 in Antarctica! Click on the country and you discover that there was in fact just one member in each country!

2. Go into advanced search (for those who paid their subscription) and insert something like Thailand guys under 35. It will provide a list but the average age of those on the list will in almost every case be well over 35! Of 45 presently listed in Singapore, only one is under 35! Most are in their 40s, 50s and 60s.

3. The list of saunas, massage places and coffee shops includes some which closed as long ago as 2015.

4. The news items of gay interest used to have a couple of posts each week. It has had nothing for the last 4 months.

Building and running dating apps is a competitive business.    It's also become very geography dependent, with different apps becoming dominant in different areas.

Another old favourite, Planet Romeo, is almost useless in some parts of the world due to a lack of customers. 

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Does anyone still use gaydar.com? 15 years ago it was great for hooking up with guys in Asia.

I used to love the chat rooms at gaydar but hadn't even been to the site in years, I looked back a couple of months ago but the chat rooms where I used to go to were very quiet. They were mostly the Australian and some Asian rooms.