reader

Malaysia considers full reopening in March

From The Thaiger / Reuters

Following moves from other Southeast Asian countries, like Thailand, to gradually reopen borders, Malaysia is considering a full reopening of borders starting March 1, allowing vaccinated travellers to enter without mandatory quarantine requirements. The plan is to speed up the country’s economic recovery, according to its coronavirus recovery council today.

The Southeast Asian country that shut down its borders in March 2020 has recently allowed Singaporeans to enter without quarantine as part of a bilateral agreement. A government advisory body said travellers would be subjected to Covid-19 screening prior to departure and upon arrival.

“This means tourists can visit, investors can enter… It means AirAsia can fly again, as an example.”

Coronavirus infections in Malaysia have risen to their highest level in four months in recent weeks, which officials say is due to the spread of the Omicron variant. A total of 13,944 new infections were reported today, bringing the total number of cases to over 2.9 million, with more than 32,000 deaths – one of Asia’s highest fatality and infection rates per capita.

However, the majority of the cases were asymptomatic or moderate which the country’s health ministry owes to the country’s high vaccination rate. Around 98% of Malaysia’s adult population has received two vaccine doses and more than half of a booster shot. Approximately 89% of children aged 12 to 17 have been vaccinated, with children aged 5 to 11 receiving their first dose last week.

https://thethaiger.com/news/regional/malaysia-en/malaysia-considers-full-reopening-in-march-to-vaccinated-travellers

What happens if failing a test upon entry into Malaysia ?  Or what is the expectation ?

To get into Thailand, I had one PCR test in the UK, with isolate at home if failed, followed by one test in Thailand and 10 day quarantine if failing.  The reward for that risk was spending 90 days of the winter in Thailand.  An attractive option, but perhaps not so interesting for anyone planning a 10 day holiday.

As those 90 days draw to a close and with no entitlement to COVID extensions for O visa holders, I'm looking at the alternatives.

Base assumption = Return to UK.  No COVID test, no risk.

Alternative = Visit Cambodia.  Need test before leaving Thailand and the failure penalty could be 10 days detention.   There is a LFT upon arrival in Cambodia, with further detention risk.  Somehow, when I'm thinking only of an extra 3 weeks holiday, it's not such an attractive risk v reward play.

Although the Malaysia opening might be too late for me, perhaps other potential visitors have similar thought processes ?  

Current quarantine requirement here for positive cases is 7 days at home for category 1 and 2a if you are fully vaccinated. Close contact stay at home is 5 days if you had your booster, 7 days if fully vaccinated, and 10 days if you arent. U can also quarantine at selected hotels if needed. This apply to all, but im not sure if itll also apply when border is open. Bare in mind that the march 1st opening is still a proposal and not much details have been released yet.

FB_IMG_1644338376265.thumb.jpg.927def5f39ee2388265f82336b85855f.jpg

Can only find the malay version of the photo below. Can try to use google lens for translation

FB_IMG_1644339226593.thumb.jpg.0dab7a073d7363c56873806ed8488c6d.jpg

19 hours ago, spoon said:

Current quarantine requirement here for positive cases is 7 days at home for category 1 and 2a if you are fully vaccinated.

What if it's a visitor/tourist who is category 1 or category 2A?  He has no home in Malaysia. Where does he stay? And what happens if the poor guy is positive only on his last day in malaysia while doing the pre-departure test?

Assuming, of course, that even after reopening, these rules do not change.

23 hours ago, z909 said:

Alternative = Visit Cambodia.  Need test before leaving Thailand and the failure penalty could be 10 days detention.   There is a LFT upon arrival in Cambodia, with further detention risk.  Somehow, when I'm thinking only of an extra 3 weeks holiday, it's not such an attractive risk v reward play.

Well said. I have had similar thoughts. Unlike luckier members of the forum, I'm not a retiree and do not have the luxury of being able to take 90-day vacations. The longest I can squeeze in may be 2 or 3 weeks and the risk of testing positive and then having to stay a further week or 10 days is precisely the poor risk vs reward equation that has held me back from making any firm plans so far. It's not just the extra days, but also the complication of missing (or having to rearrange) appointments that would have been scheduled for my return....

5 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

What if it's a visitor/tourist who is category 1 or category 2A?  He has no home in Malaysia. Where does he stay? And what happens if the poor guy is positive only on his last day in malaysia while doing the pre-departure test?

Assuming, of course, that even after reopening, these rules do not change.

For first question, u can book hotel or airbnb that will take positive cases for isolation, similar to those who cant isolate at home due to many reasons. I dont recall any issues of finding hotels to book for quarantine so i assume there are plenty of options, but having no need to quarantine, i didnt make any search.  U can also sent to quarantine centers if u cant afford hotel quarantine. 

If u are tested positive pre-departure before leaving malaysia, unfortunately u will have to quarantine for 7 days or airline would never let u board their flight. I think this part is true for any countries where pre-departure test is compulsory.

But things might change once border open and we move to endemic phase. Im also waiting for more details as it also means i will not have to quarantine when returning from my "future" trips oversea. Below is the english version of the quarantine requirement.

FB_IMG_1644377895326.thumb.jpg.b37ce0adb427415230fc39090f342953.jpg

14 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Unlike luckier members of the forum, I'm not a retiree and do not have the luxury of being able to take 90-day vacations. The longest I can squeeze in may be 2 or 3 weeks

When working, we had to take about 10 days holiday over the Xmas/New Year holiday.  So I used to attach some time to that and take a whole month off.   I think that might just about give an attractive risk/reward balance, particularly if you take care to avoid infection.

However, that shouldn't occupy much thinking time in February, when rules will change several times during the year.

As for risk/reward, under earlier rules, I believe quarantine in Cambodia could have been extended from 14 to 28 days in certain circumstances.  Not at all attractive for a 30 day trip.  Thing are slowly improving.