unicorn

What do you feel about wokeness in film and theater?

• Members
10 hours ago, kokopelli3 said:

Lighten up Riobard! 😜

Sigh. And I would say to you:

Grow up.

Who do you think you are?

You were the one snidely bitching. Glass houses; stones. Beige pot; kettle. If you can’t grasp a post with ideas derived from essays sprinkled here and there in the public domain why should you be able to track your own troll-grade provocation.

Not everybody will relate to every contribution. No need to shit-hemorrhage; you could scram. I wouldn’t have had to flick you off. 

13 minutes ago, Riobard said:

But if you can’t grasp a post with ideas derived from essays sprinkled here and there... 

😂😘😂

Ideas derived and then deliberately obscured by purple prose -- not to mention sentence fragments! 

Purple prose is overly ornate prose text that may disrupt a narrative flow by drawing undesirable attention to its own extravagant style of writing, thereby diminishing the appreciation of the prose overall.

• Members

Kentucky Fried Kryst, Marc! L to the OMG, child. I’ve had your toxic text content on Ignore for a while now. All I see is the prompt about that choice. 

Ordinarily I would think it was poor manners to reveal one’s application of that option but I don’t know that I’m not doing you a solid. 

Wallow around with your trolls in crime for all I care.

Here are clues about about the Ignore function: It exists because you do. It happens. What more you write as far as hope for an open runway from me is like an ingrown hair, like spitting into a draft plowing in your direction, dogged shade fails. 

Here … I’ll make it the succinct way you like: Finger, Rorschach style, Costello doing Logan Roy.

[With apologies to my decent peers that it came to such antipathy]

10 hours ago, Riobard said:

Sigh. And I would say to you:

Grow up.

Who do you think you are?

You were the one snidely bitching. Glass houses; stones. Beige pot; kettle. If you can’t grasp a post with ideas derived from essays sprinkled here and there in the public domain why should you be able to track your own troll-grade provocation.

Not everybody will relate to every contribution. No need to shit-hemorrhage; you could scram. I wouldn’t have had to flick you off. 

You truly are an oddball, Riobard;  do flick me off!

• Members

I watched the documentary Being Mary Tyler Moore and thought about the film's discussion of feminist criticism of her TV show. 

Nowadays are we cheated out of entertainment of that caliber when it doesn't pass a woke litmus test?  A small majority of whiners and bots can make a big enough stink on Twitter to make investors and advertisers extra careful. 

While people have a right to their opinion, the passage of time shows how silly some criticism seems, like the feminists that didn't like The Mary Tyler More Show

It was a comedy, so one should expect a lot of squirrelly behavior.  Yet it was a show where the majority of the players were women (Leachman, White, Engel, Harper and Moore) and the major dufus was a guy.

The character Mary Richards ultimately inspired Oprah to pursue television.  I suppose the woke mob can find fault with Oprah as well if they look hard enough.  That is our world now.

:fpc:

mary-tyler-moore-oprah-winfrey-2000.jpg

On 8/29/2022 at 12:50 PM, JKane said:

The couple problematic Dr. Seuss books weren't banned.  They were removed from publication BY THE SEUSS ESTATE/FAMILY.  

Actually six of the Dr. Seuss books WERE banned. They were banned by the Chicago Public Library:

https://abc7chicago.com/dr-seuss-chicago-public-library-banned-books-list/10403192/

And the racist NAACP attempted to cancel EVERY Dr, Seuss book:

https://naacp.org/resources/naacp-calls-censorship-all-dr-seuss-booksworks-all-public-schoolsinstitutions-and-public

Other parts of Americana/western culture that have sadly fallen victim to the Woke/Cancel Culture/Nazi/fascist Leftists who seek to ban and silence everything and everyone they don't agree with:

Kate Smith
Mark Twain
Margaret Mitchell
JK Rowling
Washington/Lincoln/Jefferson

There are many, many more that the woke left has cancelled and is trying to cancel

• Members

I'm excited upcoming film "Saltburn" has a steamy, homoerotic relationship featuring Jacob Elordi and Barry Keoghan.  IMO Keoghan was fantastic in Banshees and Elordi is also great.  Sounds like the actors got shredded for the roles.

But I dread how the woke Internet will cry foul and raise a stink the production did not cast an out gay actor.  I just don't agree films should limit their cast nor do I understand where on the Kinsey scale the actor must land to avoid being fired.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLyNa1jmH0rzIFKVaWPh1

saltburn-tutto-quello-che-sappiamo-finor

• Members
On 3/26/2023 at 1:38 PM, Marc in Calif said:

I hate to tell you this, but there is much more to a theater work's "plot" than just the words. 

By the way, as I reported on another site, the group which produced those problematic works cancelled their season and essentially went bankrupt several months ago. I guess that even in a more progressive city such as Los Angeles, there weren't enough paying audience members willing to buy tickets to such productions.

7 minutes ago, unicorn said:

By the way, as I reported on another site, the group which produced those problematic works cancelled their season and essentially went bankrupt several months ago. I guess that even in a more progressive city such as Los Angeles, there weren't enough paying audience members willing to buy tickets to such productions.

Well, they fortunately received your ticket money. 😘

You were "willing to buy tickets" although you hadn't bothered to read the reviews and other writings about the original Broadway production of Oklahoma -- and its "plot" -- before you (and your partner) attended the show. Then you complained mightily about its wokeness. You even called it Wokelahoma

Ah, I remember it well! 😊

• Members
2 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

...You were "willing to buy tickets" although you hadn't bothered to read the reviews...

Well, you're kind of talking out of your ass again. At the time I had purchased the tickets for the Woklahoma!, the production hadn't started so there were no reviews. I did stop buying tickets to their shows after that (including forgoing the woke 1776). The fact that many others felt the same as I did was highlighted by the group's bankruptcy. The proof's in the pudding.

48 minutes ago, unicorn said:

At the time I had purchased the tickets for the Woklahoma!, the production hadn't started so there were no reviews.

Um, the 2022 Los Angeles production was essentially the same as the award-winning Broadway production. You know: the same characterizations, the same musical arrangements for a very small band, the same dialogue, and the same "plot."

The production had been fully reviewed after it opened on April 8, 2019 at the Circle in the Square Theatre. You didn't know anything about it even before the Tony Awards?

Moreover, attentive gay theatre lovers would have read the original reviews and would also have watched the excerpt that the cast performed on stage at the 2019 Tony Awards on June 9, 2019. There were also photos everywhere of the cast with their instruments and even the production's wheelchair. 

From Center Theatre Group's website for the 2022 LA production:

This is OKLAHOMA! as you’ve never seen or heard it before—reimagined for the 21st century and the Tony Award Winner for Best Revival of a Musical.

Direct from an acclaimed run on Broadway comes an OKLAHOMA! that looks and sounds like America today. Funny and sexy, provocative and probing, “A smashing Oklahoma! is reborn. Daniel Fish’s wide-awake and altogether wonderful production is thrilling!” (The New York Times)

https://www.centertheatregroup.org/tickets/ahmanson-theatre/2021/oklahoma/

Do you not read reviews of new novels before you purchase them? Do you see a movie without knowing anything about it, its cast, or its director?

And do you complain about a Stephen King novel's terror, saying you had no idea it would be so scary? 😊

• Members
14 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Um, the 2022 Los Angeles production was essentially the same as the award-winning Broadway production. You know: the same characterizations, the same musical arrangements for a very small band, the same dialogue, and the same "plot."

The production had been fully reviewed after it opened on April 8, 2019 at the Circle in the Square Theatre. You didn't know anything about it even before the Tony Awards?...

Probably like most other audience members, I was unaware of the similarity to the Broadway production (of which I was unaware), and purchased the ticket on the basis of the company's blurb and familiarity with the musical. Certainly, I hadn't read the NYC reviews, nor have I ever watched the Tony Awards ceremony. When the group advertised the show, they were upfront about the casting, which didn't bother me, but they specifically said the words were not changed, which was factually false. Along with many other audience members, I felt duped, and reacted accordingly. Liars most often eventually get their due, and their ticket sales and donations obviously suffered. I'm still waiting for Trump to get what should be coming to him... 😉

48 minutes ago, unicorn said:

Probably like most other audience members, I was unaware of the similarity to the Broadway production (of which I was unaware), and purchased the ticket on the basis of the company's blurb and familiarity with the musical. Certainly, I hadn't read the NYC reviews, nor have I ever watched the Tony Awards ceremony. When the group advertised the show, they were upfront about the casting, which didn't bother me, but they specifically said the words were not changed, which was factually false. Along with many other audience members, I felt duped, and reacted accordingly. Liars most often eventually get their due, and their ticket sales and donations obviously suffered. I'm still waiting for Trump to get what should be coming to him... 😉

The blurb I quoted above was from the Center Theatre Group's own promotion of the production on its website (it's still there):

Direct from an acclaimed run on Broadway comes an OKLAHOMA! that looks and sounds like America today. 

Furthermore, all regional theatres -- as well as those on Broadway -- were greatly affected by the pandemic. In the following years, ticket sales and subscriptions were slow to recover.

But the recent CTG production of “Slave Play” enjoyed a mostly sold-out run at the Mark Taper Forum.  Despite being extremely "woke," it had relatively  huge attendance. 

So the argument that "wokeness" killed the CTG is based only in your own mind. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

The blurb I quoted above was from the Center Theatre Group's own promotion of the production on its website (it's still there):

...Furthermore, all regional theatres -- as well as those on Broadway -- were greatly affected by the pandemic. In the following years, ticket sales and subscriptions were slow to recover...

C'mon. That self-serving statement is completely ridiculous and you know it. There are almost countless theater groups in the Los Angeles area, and this is the only one I've heard of which has folded. Everyone else has been thriving, and they folded just a few months ago. I suppose it's possible that those who ran that theater group may have been delusional enough to believe that statement, but you are neither stupid nor delusional, so I cannot imagine for a moment that you yourself believe that statement. It should be shameful to even present that statement as evidence of anything. Theater (and opera, etc.) groups depend on donors, subscribers, and ticket holders for their existence. Obviously they pissed off too many of them. Blaming it on the pandemic is absurd.