reader

Everything you need to know about the opening of Bangkok’s new terminal train station on 19th January 2023

Richard Barrow is one of the most prolific experts of train transportation in Thailand. He posted this guide today on his websiste in anticipation of the official opening on Jan. 19th of new mega hub popularly known as Bang Sue station.

From Thaitrainguide.com

krungthepaphiwat-800x445.jpg

It has been a long time coming, but finally the new terminal station in Bangkok will open on 19th January 2023. Starting from now, you can buy tickets for long distance trains departing from this station by entering the official name, “Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal” *.  Though from experience, you only need to type “Krung” and the full name will pop up. However, it should be made clear that not all trains will move here in January. It should also be noted that Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong) will not close despite earlier media reports.

As there will undoubtedly be some confusion among the public, and even misinformation in the local media, I will post here everything I know so far about what you need to know about catching a train from Bangkok from 19th January 2023 onwards. Please don’t copy and paste this page elsewhere as I will be continually updating it as and when new information comes in.

* The station used to be called Bang Sue Grand when it first opened as a vaccination center. However, the new name of Krung Thep Aphiwat was recently given to it by King Rama X

For the time being, only long distance trains on the Northern, Northeastern, and Southern lines will depart from the new terminal station. Other trains such as local, commuter, and tourist trains, as well as all trains on the Eastern Line, will still depart from Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong). Despite reports in the media, the old terminal station will not close any time soon. By all accounts, it could still be around seven years from now. This is because they need to extend the Red Line down to a new elevated station next to the present terminal. This will probably take five years to build. As they are experiencing some difficulties with the route (it passes a royal palace), it will most likely be delayed.

The following are the confirmed long distance trains that will leave from Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal. However, it is not confirmed which will be the first train. It will most likely be Express No. 171 to Su-Ngai Kolok leaving at 1:10 p.m. Trains on the morning of 19th January are still expected to leave from Bangkok Railway Station. Which brings me to another important note. As the new terminal is north of the old one and that the tracks are elevated, trains will leave the city much quicker and more efficiently. Trains don’t need to go through a dozen or so level crossings. As a consequence, the start times will be adjusted. For example, Special Express No. 9 to Chiang Mai normally leaves at 6:10 p.m. It will now leave from the new terminal at 6:40 p.m. but it will still arrive in Chiang Mai at the regular time. A second note is that the number of stops leaving the city will be adjusted. More information on that further down.

I will do another update to this page soon with more details about how to get to and from Krung Thep Aphiwat and what facilities it has. I can tell you at the moment there is a Blue line MRT station in the basement called Bang Sue Station. There is also a Red Line Station here on the 2nd floor called Bang Sue Grand, though that may change to the new name. Next door is Bang Sue Junction which is another way to get here.

As for facilities, there are no shops or restaurants yet. However at the far end there is a small food court. When I went at the weekend only three shops were open. There should be a lot more in January. In the basement there is also a massive car park. At the moment it is free but that will change once the station officially opens. The concourse for buying tickets is on the ground floor. Shops and offices are on M1 and M2. There is nothing there yet. The Red Line and long distance trains will go from the 2nd floor. This is a closed platform system meaning you cannot go up unless you have a ticket for that train. The 3rd floor is for the airport rail link and the high speed trains. That floor won’t open for some years to come and is off limits.

Please follow @ThaiTrainGuide on social media on Twitter and Facebook for latest updates.

Continues with train schedule and photos at

https://www.thaitrainguide.com/2022/12/20/heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-opening-of-bangkoks-new-terminal-train-station-on-19-january-2023/

1 hour ago, reader said:

Other trains such as local, commuter, and tourist trains, as well as all trains on the Eastern Line, will still depart from Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong). Despite reports in the media, the old terminal station will not close any time soon.

Hurrah ! so it means it's still will be possible to get to and from Don Muang by train. Despite trains being slow and rickety it takes the same time like going by MRT and then change to Red SRT line. And old train station is better positioned / closer / to international terminal at Don Muang. It quite long walk there from new shiny station but stop can be made at food court on the way.

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

Hurrah ! so it means it's still will be possible to get to and from Don Muang by train.

I'll have to make a mental note that this option is still alive. I once boarded a train bound for Don Muang from Hua Lamphong. It was back in the 1990s, and the rickety ride was a wonderful part of my overall Bangkok experience. Fast-forward to right before the pandemic, and a lot of the budget flights I was booking to Thailand were landing at Don Muang. While they no longer are, I'm sure once tourist traffic returns to normal levels all the budget flights that are now landing at Swampy will be rerouted to the old airport.

It's be nice to take a rickety train into the big burg.

1 hour ago, BiggusDikkus said:

and a lot of the budget flights I was booking to Thailand were landing at Don Muang. While they no longer are,

They still do, my Air Asia flight to LuangPrabang departed from there and both Siem Reap and Vientiane flights landed there as well