TotallyOz

Anna's Cafe

Anna's Cafe

118 Soi Saladaeng Silom

Bangrak, Bangkok

Phone: 02-632-0619

www.annascafes.com

I had dinner last night at Anna's Cafe. The place is very nice and reasonably priced. It has many varieties of Thai food and the waiters are some of the sexiest I have seen. The deserts are to die for!

The food was very good and the service was excellent. It is a short walk to Silom and the gay area. If you need a good place to eat with a reasonable price, this is a good place to try.

Also, their web site shows there are several more locations in Bangkok.

Yesterday I was in Carrefour. Representatives from the Blue Elephant were there and giving out samples. I was not familiar with Blue Elephant, but just the samples were just incredible. The next time I am in Bangkok I will try both Anna's and Blue Elephant. If Blue Elephant's food is anything like the samples they were handing out, then that is a definite "don't miss" restaurant. I'm looking forward to trying both Anna's and Blue Elephant.

Blue Elephant is not only a restaurant, but also a cooking school. Their representatives spoke excellent English. Their web site is http://www.blueelephant.com . Click on their link for "Royal Thai Cuisine" and then on their link for "Bangkok."

Their location information is:

233 South Sathorn Road

Skytrain Station: Surasak

Telephone: 02-673-9353

Guest A Rose By Any Other Name

Anna's Cafe

118 Soi Saladaeng Silom

Bangrak, Bangkok

Phone: 02-632-0619

www.annascafes.com

I think perhaps this name may be in poor taste. As you know, the government does not really condone (in fact has banned) any movie or show about the Hollywoodized version of Anna Leanowens and King Rama 4. Is it actually connected with the love story and musical or is it just using her name?

No doubt, history says she was here, but the rest is all interpretation. I say... Why rock the boat in a land where the people are so proud of their monarchy?

The Rose

TR <_<

http://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Tales-Thai...s/dp/1885211759

Someone mentioned this book on another Thailand site a long time ago. My library has it filed with travel books; it's not a travel book but a collection of anticdotal information & short stories set in Thailand. I usually don't care for short stories but these are like peanuts; once I started I couldn't stop.

The story titled, Will the Real Anna Leonowens Please Stand Up is fascinating. Did you know she was Frankenstein's* Great Aunt?

*Boris Karloff

At the time, writing fiction in the first person was in style; that's what she did and people believed it.

There's a scene in the musical where the king selects the fork and place spoon as the eating utinsils that will replace chop sticks, the man who brought the silver was the pedophile she and her sister traveled with so one could she Anna was associated with Thai cuisine. :blink:

Her book, The Favorite of the Harem, made the insult worse; (Insinuating) a bordello in the basement of the Palace.

Having heard much of Anna's Cafes, a year or so ago I went to one on the corner of Rama IV and Saladang Soi 1. The place was gorgeous old colonial style and the food was pretty good and reasonably priced. I ate there several times and was sad that it did not tkae off and closed. I see a new building going up on the site now.

Once on Suckhumvit Road I lunched at an Anna's in a smart new building. I was the only customer and the food was barly edible.

A couple of weeks back friends and I went to the original Anna's on Saladang. This place is so lively and noisy that they ask if you woulflike the lively area or the comparatively peaceful, We opted for the latter. The menu is cafe style with a lot of fish dishes. Prices are quite reasonable. I am sad to say that the food was between so-so and just OK and we felt that it had not lived up to it's reputation. The waiters were attractive and we did camp it up a bit with them and left a good tip, None of us really felt we wanted to return.

Anna Leonowens did exist and taught at The Palace. Her book was very well received around the World and is probably the main source of information that many westerners have had on Thailand. King Mongut did not mention her in any of his diaries the only reference that has been found was a 'to do' list he made which had an item Governess.

Anna Leonowens did exist and taught at The Palace. Her book was very well received around the World and is probably the main source of information that many westerners have had on Thailand. King Mongut did not mention her in any of his diaries the only reference that has been found was a 'to do' list he made which had an item Governess.

I can't recall where I got this from; perhaps on a segment of "Biography" or something similar, but they made a point that in reality she probably only met the King once or twice during her entire time here.