Guest lvdkeyes

Songkran

Being the spoilsport that I am, I'm one of the crazies who absolutely loves Songkran. I thoroughly enjoy it, especially on the main insanity day (Sunday, April 19 this year in Pattaya). All those boys in wet T-shirts or shirtless! I don't mind the water splashing at all, at least on that day. I wouldn't dream of missing it.

For those of you who will be here in Pattaya during the festivities, and many of you know the splashing starts sporadically several days before and there's more and more of it until the 19th, you can still avoid getting wet if you don't want to be wet. If you sit on a baht bus bench seat, it's virtually a given that you're going to get splashed. The trick is to sit up front with the driver. Then you won't get splashed.

On the main day, if you're going to go anywhere or get into the traffic flow, make sure you have a full tank of fuel. You're going to be stuck in a hell of a lot of traffic and that would be the wrong day to run out of fuel.

If you intend to go to Bangkok, if you go on the 18th (or come to Pattaya on the 18th), make sure you go via the Rt. 36, Rt. 7 expressway. Don't go through Chonburi. That's the main Songkran day in Chonburi and you'll be stuck trying to get through for at least two hours, probably more.

But I too would be interested to know what those of you who dislike Songkran and are "stuck" in Thailand are going to do. Some choose to hole up in their rooms as much as they until it's over. If they won't even go out to eat and cannot or will not cook at home, they can always order food delivery from Door-2-Door or WOW. Burger King, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, KFC, and various Thai owned restaurants have delivery service of their own. During the day you're safe at places such as the beach, Pattaya Park, shopping malls, etc.

Some choose to do as lvdkeyes is going to do . . . leave Pattaya during Songkran. If you are going to leave, where are you going?

Last year TOQ posted some fabulous photos of Songkran in the rural areas of Thailand, on the Ting & Tong's Gay Thailand board ( http://www.gaytingtong.com ). I can't find those photos now. Maybe if TOQ sees this post he can post a link to those photos if he still has them online. But the point is that out in the rural areas Songkran is much more benign and subdued. A trip to the hinterlands might be a good alternative for some.

I join GB as one of the crazes that also loves Songkran. A lot of fun if you approach it with the right attitude and gear (shorts, tee-shirt, sandals, wallet in a baggie, etc.).

Normally I spend the time in Chiangmai but this will be my first time in Hua Hin. I hope it's as crazy here as it is around the moat in Chiangmai.

Guest xiandarkthorne
Being the spoilsport that I am, I'm one of the crazies who absolutely loves Songkran. I thoroughly enjoy it, especially on the main insanity day (Sunday, April 19 this year in Pattaya). All those boys in wet T-shirts or shirtless! I don't mind the water splashing at all, at least on that day. I wouldn't dream of missing it...

I'm doing my darndest to come in by the 17th of April but now I'm a little worried about accommodations. Should I try to book a room before I come? I can't wait to run around the beach town in my most disgraceful skimpies, making Betty Davis eyes at gorgeous Thai guys!

Guest lvdkeyes

From what I understand Songkran in Hua Hin is very different; it only lasts one day and finishes at 6pm that day. At any rate, Songkran in HCMC will be peaceful and civilized.

Guest GaySacGuy

I am spending my first Songkran in Ubon, so will have to see how it is done here.

Can echo what GB said about traffic in Pattaya....nearly 2 hours from Jomtien to Pattaya Tai.

If GB can... anyone can!

Damned right!

What really is surprising me is that so far lvdkeyes is the only one posting that he dislikes Songkran and plans to go elsewhere. I would have thought several others would have posted similar sentiments. Maybe people have caught the spirit . . .

Guest lvdkeyes
Maybe people have caught the spirit . . .

I caught the spirit the first year I lived here when I was soaked and slapped with powder everyday. I had to go to the supermarket and was soaked when I got there and with the A/C in the supermarket I was so cold I was shivering and had to leave without finishing my shopping. That's when I decided the "spirit" wasn't worth it and I would not spend another songkran here. Two years ago I, mistakenly, came back from KL on the last day of songkran and it took me 4 1/2 hours to get home from the airport. Since I was in a taxi I didn't get wet or powdered and it was fun to watch the madness from the taxi for the first 30 minutes, but I quickly lost interest. 6 days (13th through 19th) of it, even from the safety of my car, is more than I want to endure.

Guest Geezer
Damned right!

What really is surprising me is that so far lvdkeyes is the only one posting that he dislikes Songkran and plans to go elsewhere. I would have thought several others would have posted similar sentiments. Maybe people have caught the spirit . . .

Likely others have reached the same conclusion as I -- complaining doesn’t help.

While unpleasant, constant assaults with water might barely be tolerable. Having tapioca powder rubbed in your face and eyes by strangers when you are in the streets and unable to clean it out isn’t.

A friend once said to me there are few things as unpleasant as being surrounded by drunks when one is sober.

Look on the bright side. You are only exposed to this for seven days.

Guest Astrrro
Come on guys!

It may seem like 9 days... but you know in reality its only 4-5 days...

Take a baht bus on the afternoon of Saturday, April 11th and if you don't get soaked I owe u a beer.

Guest Astrrro
What really is surprising me is that so far lvdkeyes is the only one posting that he dislikes Songkran and plans to go elsewhere. I would have thought several others would have posted similar sentiments.

I'm elsewhere.

But if I was in Pattaya my little soi would not be too bad. It really depends where you live and if you're OK with staying home.

No big deal to walk to Friendship supermarket without my mobile and I never wear a watch anyway.

But not so great if bringing important documents to Jomtien.

But not so great if bringing important documents to Jomtien.

That's a good point. I would imagine those important documents would most likely be documents needed at Immigration. Obviously the ideal thing to do would be to get the documents wherever they need to be either before or after the splashing days. If that is not possible, then place them in a plastic bag or some other waterproof container. Take a baht bus and sit up front with the driver. Try to go as early in the day as you can, while the drunken revelers are still asleep.

Guest GaySacGuy

Spend the big bucks and buy a few ziplock bags....watch, wallet, phone, passport, whatever. Just bag it and have a good time....It's a Holiday!!!!