Guest A Rose By Any Other Name

Locked Threads

Guest A Rose By Any Other Name

Though I understand that this board is private and the moderators may do anything they wish, I still wish to know how a topic can become locked? Is it because the moderator just got tired of it? Is it because there was too much debate? Too much bitching?

At the very least, I think a last message from the moderator who locked it explaining why the thread is closed is warranted. Now, I understand the Niddy's Nook thread because quite lengthy and bitchy, and perhaps an argument could be made for shutting it down. But now it seems other threads are also popping up as being locked. With no mention of why. Which board rule was broken? Or were there threads that were deleted due to libelous or illegal content?

Just curious.

The Rose

TR <_<

Rose,

I did not lock the thread. I do not know who did. I have no problem with it being locked. It was not a productive thread. When people start name calling and calling people "papa puke" I should have closed it down immediately or warned the posters and took more agressive action.

I will repeat our Code of Conduct:

Code of Conduct:

Gay Thailand membership is restricted to Adults Only. That Message Center members shall be expected to behave as adults is not an undue burden. The expected conduct standard for the Gay Thailand forums is the same as that observed everyday in society by adults in our neighborhoods, towns, and cities. It is based on straightforward mature behavior, civility and courtesy that you find in a neighborhood Pub or Tavern where neighbors and acquaintances joined by occasional strangers come together to socialize in good temper, to share conversation, and to hoist, in moderation, a glass of favorite beer or wine or a cup of coffee or tea.

These forums are NOT presented for abusive arguing and name calling, score settling, thread stalking, or general cyberspace blood sport for the chronically bored.

As in any Pub or Tavern, an egregiously abusive or chronically problematic customer (member) shall be banned from further post participation.

In all instances, Gay Thailand management shall be the final arbiter of what constitutes egregiously abusive conduct or when a member has crossed the line of

I agree with every word GayThailand wrote. I also plead not guilty to having locked any threads and I also do not know who did. I can assure everyone that I will never lock a thread without first discussing it with GayThailand.

Nothing on the moderator end shows who locked a thread. It doesn't matter. The moderators will respect each other's wishes whether an explanation is provided or not, leaving the ultimate decision up to GayThailand.

One thing also needs to be made clear. If a person creates a new thread in order to continue what was being discussed on a locked thread or continues the discussion on a thread that is not locked, I do intend to delete those posts.

My personal take:

It strikes me that for everyones comfort it is adviseable for the Moderators to have some degree of consistency in their judgements. If one decides to edit posts to somehow surely he would mail the others to explain why and keep them aware of who did what when. I think it would be polite to advise members as well by posting the reason for the action for all to see. Having seen what can happen on boards I would not allow any board discussion after that.

The post in question had a sort of 'approval by no action' by Gaybutton and GayThailand who were actively contributing to the thread. Then - and it has to have been Stef or Rainwalker? - jumps in without consulting them and closes the thread. I for one cannot see why and find it odd.

Getting the Moderation right is critical to the success of a forum. Too liberal and the loonies run riot and spoil it for the majority, too rigid and dictatorial and members disappear.

I think that there are quite a few ways that moderators can act:

Closing a thread

Editing a post of the unacceptible bits

Deleting a post

Deleting a thread

Banning a member

I always admired Gaypattayan's work in moderating though I thought he was a bit too leary of the Thai libel laws. He always posted why he had done things and why he decided that they were against the Board's posting policies.

This board seems to be taking off which surprised me a bit. Gaybutton has certainly injected a lot of life into the place. Now that there is volume and a need for Moderation it might be time to review how the team work.

Good luck

Guest LoeplohandNalac

What worries us the most .??

Closing a toppic and the moderators ( owners)do not know why or who did it ?

computer glitschhhh ?

Sounds very American to US.

Question ?

Are there no hiden prissons managed by the CIA in the world ?

What worries us the most .?? Closing a toppic and the moderators ( owners)do not know why or who did it ? "computer glitschhhh ? Sounds very American to US. Question ?Are there no hiden prissons managed by the CIA in the world ?"

Once again I have no idea of what you are trying to say! :rolleyes:

What worries us the most .??

Closing a toppic and the moderators ( owners)do not know why or who did it ?

Duh. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

Duh. If I didn't do it and GayButton didn't do it, then that leaves 2. Do I care which one? No.

So, the answer to your question is: I know who. I know what. I know when. I know where. :) And, I bet it was not Mr. Mustard with the candlestick in the Study. Just an FYI in case you were still wondering. :)

Guest LoeplohandNalac

Dear G.T we khun L and khun N have to go to sleep..We have a harem waiting for us . Sorry but thats more important for us then who or what is closing toppics without explanation.

Dear G.T WE khun L and khun N have to go to sleep..We have a harem waiting for us so we are sorry to inform you that whe cannot go ( right now)into a discussion...,,, who close a toppic or who has weapons of mass distruction. Our world inherritage sites are right now next to us and are waiting to get restored.

Sweet dreams sweetpea. I had a weapon of mass destruction tonight. It was about 8 inches thick and on a sexy Thai university student. I too am waiting to get restored. So, off to bed I go. :)

Guest LoeplohandNalac

Sweet dreams sweetpea. I had a weapon of mass destruction tonight. It was about 8 inches thick and on a sexy Thai university student. I too am waiting to get restored. So, off to bed I go. :)

FANDEE

Duh. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

Duh. If I didn't do it and GayButton didn't do it, then that leaves 2. Do I care which one? No.

So, the answer to your question is: I know who. I know what. I know when. I know where. :) And, I bet it was not Mr. Mustard with the candlestick in the Study. Just an FYI in case you were still wondering. :)

I did not lock any thread at all. If something like that would happen.. I would definitely post something...

I just tested the avaibility of Thread Lock. See how it was possible for a thread to be locked without confirmation. And I found what I was looking for .

A thread can be locked without confirmation by moderator easily by clicking a small box that is right on the left of the thread's name. So if we make a mistake by clicking that box thinking we were opening the thread, it will lock it.

We have had an other option to lock and unlock threads and it was much safer as we had to confirm the lock.

But here, With this small box ( you can't see it or you can't click on it ) , One of the moderator thought it was opening the thread to read it but in fact, he locked it and did not see the thread was lock.

In other words, what we did not know was that moderators can inadvertently and unintentionally lock a thread with one click. If we don't notice that we have done so, the thread gets locked. That's what caused the confusion and that's what happened.

It's a board feature available to the moderators, and we didn't even know that could happen until it happened. To avoid this in the future, we will make sure to check and see that we did not accidentally lock a thread.

The Saga continues, the great tornado in a teacup. Still out investigations are narrowing it down. Was it Rainwalker or was it an accident? Will it be re-opened?

Watch this trail for the next exciting episode!

The Saga continues, the great tornado in a teacup. Still out investigations are narrowing it down. Was it Rainwalker or was it an accident? Will it be re-opened?

Watch this trail for the next exciting episode!

Drama. Drama. Drama. Everyone seems to love one. I much prefer a good comedy.

The only thread I see locked is the one that went on forever, with at least on person creating 3 handles to talk to themselves. I for one, have no intention to unlock it. :) Let it die the death it deserves. If not, I would have to go back and do extensiave editing and I don't have the time for that. I have a young University lad ready to show up at my door to say good morning and for a quick brunch.

Guest LoeplohandNalac

Is that a problem creating three handels and talk to your self ? Hey we are all getting older !

Yesterday on the beach next to us one of your most recognized posters was talking all the time to himself. nobody was lissening to him.

Good to find out that the closing of the toppic was a msitake. Thanks to Buda it was not G.B.

As we all know he has a reputation of being a very strickt moderator.

Guest LoeplohandNalac

Can I ask if this was Loeploh or Nalac talking? I need to understand which one I an talking to. :) Thanks for your assistance.

Can't question that answer right now. : :excl:

We are still conected, no not like the Siamees twins but I mean we are still in bed. :wub:

Good to find out that the closing of the toppic was a msitake. Thanks to Buda it was not G.B.

As we all know he has a reputation of being a very strickt moderator.

That is correct. I far less strict about it on this web site because it is not my own web site and I do my best to follow the policies of the owner.

I'm also curious as to why you pass yourself off as two people when you are only one person, and use "we" and "us" all the time instead of "I." May I ask why you do that?