Menaughty

Gonococcal Arthritis

Hello Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with gonococcal arthritis. It was the most unbearable pain I have ever had in my life. Plus they also did a surgery on my right knee to extract cultures, that one was hurting the most.
Currently, I am on IV antibiotics. I cannot walk. I use a walker to go to restroom. The pain is there but better. I do take prescribed pain medication.

This whole experience has traumatized me. Please tell me it will get better. I just wanna go back to normal walking and my life. 

From what I read this is supposed to be a rare side effect of gonorrhea. Sadly, I had to get it.

• Members

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470439/

"...When patients with gonococcal arthritis are treated with antibiotics, there is usually full recovery without any sequelae...". Kudos to whoever diagnosed you. It's not an easy diagnosis to make, in that one must suspect it (of course, if you already had urinary symptoms, the diagnosis may have been more obvious). Hopefully, you will also be evaluated to see if your immune system is functioning well. Disseminated GC can happen in anyone, but is more common in those with compromised immune systems. 

Thank you so much for checking on me guys. Means a lot.

I am doing better. The infection (gonorrhea) is gone. However, the gonococcal arthritis has really affected my right knee joint and right pinky finger joint, which has affected my mobility. They are swollen and inflamed. 🥲 this has really affected me mentally. I feel so depressed.  

I am currently in physical therapy. Need all y’alls prayers and love for recovery ❤️ 

Gonorrhea is no joke. Stay safe everyone

• Members
17 hours ago, Menaughty said:

Thank you so much for checking on me guys. Means a lot.

I am doing better. The infection (gonorrhea) is gone. However, the gonococcal arthritis has really affected my right knee joint and right pinky finger joint, which has affected my mobility. They are swollen and inflamed. 🥲 this has really affected me mentally. I feel so depressed.  

I am currently in physical therapy. Need all y’alls prayers and love for recovery ❤️ 

Gonorrhea is no joke. Stay safe everyone

Well, I'm atheist, so I don't pray, but you have my best wishes. If I can believe the scientific literature, this form of arthritis has a great prognosis, and you should enjoy a good recovery, perhaps back to where you were before this even started. Thanks for the update.