Guest taylorsquare

Doing those Burmese boys.

Guest taylorsquare

My next trip to Thailand hopefully will include another country for a week or so.

Looking up info on Burma on wikipedia frightens me even though i have been to Tachilek,reading that its unsafe to drive around villages has me thinking twice.

Well,I was going to ask about Burma but found a wealth of info here on gaythailand.

Comments from posters include:

"I have a friend who just spent one month as a traveler in Burma.

He said he felt perfectly safe the entire trip and that in most places he was the only tourist."

"I also have a friend that travels quite often into Burma

and also says he feels totally at ease there"

"I am in Myanmar rather often. I have also traveled over many other parts of the world.

To me Myanmar is by far the safest place have been to. In some ways it appears

to be like I read of Thailand 30 years ago."

"There are no gay bars, openly, BUT .......

the gay scene is big in Yangon and Mandalay and several of the other cities."

"Many of the boys who work in the hotels are gay and once they know what you want

then one will come late at night and knock on your door asking if they can stay the night!"

Guest luvthai

I have a friend in Bangkok that travels Burma often and regularly. He owns a book store in Bangkok and has just published a book on his travels In Burma. It should be in most bookstores by now and is also avilable on Amazon.com I beieve it is called "To Myanmar with Love"

Guest taylorsquare

Im sure it is a friendly place,even though i admit i found Tachilek rather "confronting"when followed by groups of very aggressive street sellers selling things i was not interested in.

Guest thaiworthy
Im sure it is a friendly place,even though i admit i found Tachilek rather "confronting"when followed by groups of very aggressive street sellers selling things i was not interested in.

That's putting it mildly! I was pursued by a MOB of begging LITTLE KIDS tugging relentlessly at my shirtsleeve.

Best to go to Chiang Mai where you will meet a lot of straight Shan boys.

Tachilek, in the same way as border towns such as Nuevo Laredo or Tijuana, is not really representative of Myanmar in general and Shan State in particular. The Shan people are routinely abused by the tatmadaw (Burmese Army) and, as a consequence, many have been forced to flee across the border into Northern Thailand. Here they are abused by the Thais but they are all clear that it's much worse back home. It's difficult to know exactly how many illegals there are in the Land of Smiles but a million and a half Shan and Karen would probably not be far short of the mark. The present economic climate is making life especially difficult as Thais now are prepared to take low status jobs in construction and catering which, in better times, they wouldn't touch.

Some restaurants in CM are staffed almost totally by Karen/Shan whose spoken Thai is limited and whose written Thai is often non-existent. This is why, in some places, you are given a 'list' to fill in to indicate your order.... the waiter is not capable of writing the Thai. If you look around you in CM you will see many Shan working in the construction industry. This is dangerous occupation, which Thais try to avoid, on account of the poor health and safety record. I recently observed some guys working on a roof near Kad Thanin and they were in a very dangerous situation. By and large Karen are to be found to the south, closer to Mae Sot.

Last time I was in 'New My Way' there was but a single Thai in the lineup... all the rest were Shan. Circle Pub and Free Guy were much the same, as was Adam's Apple when it was last open. Most of these guys are straight.

A trip to Myanmar is a great experience though it's not politically correct to express such a view. For every person within the country who says 'Don't come' I will show you ten or more who say 'You must come! We need to know what's happening in the outside world and you need to know what's happening here'. In the first category you have Aung San Suu Kyi and in the second someone like Par Par Lay who tells some great jokes about the generals and, as a consequence, spends much time in prison.

Potentially one of the richest countries in the region, decades of military misrule have impoverished its people. The hill tribes have been targeted for particularly harsh treatment notably the Chin, Kachin, Karen and Shan. These peoples were never part of 'Burma' but in the hurry to rid itself of empire after the Second World War, the former colonial power connived at their inclusion in the Union of Myanmar/Burma. This was the Panglong Treaty of 12 February 1947.

Apologies in advance, I feel very strongly about this matter!

Guest Astrrro
Don't leave us in suspense. Where, how, and how much?

Think Billy Houston covers it better than me but there's a group of indoor bars and a group of outdoor bars about a minute away from each other; one of these groups are called The Peak. Lots of BurmaBoyz in both the indoor and outdoor complex.

but there's a group of indoor bars and a group of outdoor bars about a minute away from each other; one of these groups are called The Peak.

Come on, Astrrro. You're making it like trying to pull teeth. Where is "The Peak"? Where are these places? How do people who want to look for them find them?

Guest fountainhall
Where is "The Peak"? Where are these places? How do people who want to look for them find them?

'The Peak' is actually no more. It was a kind of rock climbing frame near the Night Market that burned down over a year ago, but ask anyone in Chiang Mai and they all know where The Peak was. For those wanting more definite directions, go to the contemporary-style Dusit D2 hotel. Just behind it is the cluster of roofed-over bars. The other group, known commonly as 'The Peak', are behind and about 100 yards to the right of the D2. But this 'Peak' group now seems to be losing popularity.

And should you want to eat before a visit, I strongly recommend Moxie restaurant in the D2 (actually it's the coffee-shop). The food is wonderful, prices very reasonable, and some of the young waiters are drop-dead gorgeous.

Guest Astrrro
Come on, Astrrro. You're making it like trying to pull teeth. Where is "The Peak"? Where are these places? How do people who want to look for them find them?

I was only in Chiang Mai for a few days and can't do a good job with directions other than as previously mentioned that it's near the night market.

But those are the "easy" places to find. There's a bunch of bars in a differen part of town that's even more difficult to describe.

Guest fountainhall
What kind of food does Moxie serve? Thai? Western? Both?

It's an international menu with excellent east/west fusion dishes and several thai dishes. I recall one lovely fish dish that was basically Japanese terriyaki style. The fish just melted in my mouth.

The waiters all seem to be university graduates and speak good english. They are extremely polite and are nicely dressed in black slacks, white shirts, cravattes (right!) and red suspenders. I am certain several are gay, but have no idea how they'd respond to an 'invitation'.

Of the existing bars, New My Way has some extremely well endowed young men and an interesting show. I am told there are some new bars not far from the old Adam's Apple. This closed more than a year ago and is now in the middle of an extensive refurbishment. It's due to open next month. - and I hope they keep the rather raunchy setting and leave-nothing-to-the-imagination go-go dancing. I'll be in CNX next week and will report back on my return.

Saw in the Bangkok Post today that the relatively new boutique U hotel is offering residents a rate of 2,800/night inclusive of tax, service, breakfast and wireless internet. This may seem high, but it is a lovely hotel with about 40 rooms.

Guest simoncm

the peak area is easy to find

as everyone says its behind D2 hotel on changklan rd the night bazar main drag